Chapter I: Blood on the Snow - February 25th, 2960

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Chapter I: Blood on the Snow - Fight or Flyte

Post by Wbweather » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:10 am

Torwin breaks into song, hoping to ease the tension and inspire Héastan to find his more noble self. His words are stirring, but the man looks on little moved by the effort. "A fair voice, but little does it do to cover treachery with a pretty tune. I can sing as well, lad. Perhaps you wish for a flyting?"

Éodir then speaks and the tensions does indeed seem to release somewhat. Héastan smiles, "Another young boy with princely words. You do know how to be polite at least. I tell you what, you best my in a flyting, and I will go with you to Edoras and see what justice is served. Lose and then face my justice? How does that offer sit with you?"

As he speaks, it becomes quite apparent that his men are quite uncomfortable, knowing that their leader would have them slay their fellow countrymen, and yet bound to him by loyalty.

But here Héastan sits, having challenged you to a flyting and awaiting your response. The flyting is an ancient tradition among the people of Rohan. Usually flyting is a peaceful contest. For a feast, the laughter and applause of the hall would tell the winner, who would win only renown and then share a cup with the loser. But in wartime, flyting often comes before a battle, as a fighter challenges the enemy and taunts one, perhaps a particular rival, to come forward and fight. And even in peacetime, some flytes go too far and lead to violence. You can tell that Héastan intends this to lead either to your humiliation or to rally him men to attack you.

You can agree to this battle of words and wits or else attempt to dissuade him.

Flyting is a stylized battle of insults and wits that was practiced most actively between the fifth and 16th centuries in England and Scotland. Participants employed the timeless tools of provocation and perversion as well as satire, rhetoric, and early bathroom humor to publicly trounce opponents. The term “flyting” comes from Old English and Old Norse words for “quarrel” and “provocation.” ‘Tis a form of highly poetic abuse, or highly abusive poetry.

Torwin - Song (TN 14):
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 2,3,3
Totaling: 13

Éodir - COurtest (TN14):
Feat Die: 9*
Success Die: 5,6t
Totaling: 20 with 1 success

Insight Tests (TN 12):
Éodir
Feat Die: 8*
Success Die: 1,5
Totaling: 14 (Invoke a trait for an AP)

Hereweald
Feat Die: 6*
Success Die: 3,4
Totaling: 13 (trait for AP also)

Istril
Feat Die: 3*
Success Die: 4,1
Totaling: 8 (fail)

Sangric
Feat Die: 7*
Success Die: 2,5
Totaling: 14 (Trait for AP)

Théofred
GANDALF
Success Die: 2,3
Totaling: 5
with 1 Auto Success

Torwin
Feat Die: 9*
Success Die: 1,2
Totaling: 12

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:05 pm

Spend Hope on the Song roll for regular Success and 1 AP. I'll give other players a chance to reply before I do. My vote is to not accept his flyting; he is trying to set the terms for justice here, and we just need to remind his men that it is the King who will judge, not Héastan, and that in fact, only the King's judgment in the matter counts.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:18 pm

"I urge you: do not take his bait," Istril whispers. "Only your king can grant justice here."

Finally angered at the words of their accuser, she instead says, "Héastan, you speak as one who assumes facts, but without evidence. Were the beast that was slain ours, why would we go to the trouble of seeking it out and destroying it? And what would I, a woman from Gondor, have to gain from that? I have never been in the land of Rohan before - I was invited by your king. I have been in the company of these men since setting out, and I have seen no evidence of treachery among them. Instead, I have seen kindness and mercy mixed with boldness and valor.

The Dunlendings we were slow to trust, and likewise they were slow to trust us, but when it came time to battle the troll, they were willing allies. Would you not rather seek peace over unjust bloodshed? I am saddened that a man such as your brother has fallen before the fell creature for he seemed to me a valiant and fearless man, but you would do better to remember his finer qualities, rather than seek to emulate his lesser.
Persuade 2 or Inspire 3. Not sure which applies more here. Either way, I'd like to invoke Merciful.

geomtje
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Warden

Post by geomtje » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:32 pm

Éodir, who has no experience with these kinds of duels, looks at the others, in the hopes of avoiding escalation.
what is ment by (Invoke a trait for an AP)? Do I have to link a trait to this?
J.J.R. Tolkien wrote:...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:12 am

The first time you succeed on a roll in a skill group, you automatically gain an advancement point. to get a second AP in that group you have to get a great or extraordinary success or role play out how one of your traits helped you on a normal success.

Hamarr
Level 3
Level 3
User Class: Slayer

Post by Hamarr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:56 am

Theofred unsure about how to move forward, grows increasing uncomfortable about where the discussion is taking place. He wants to say something, but does not want to provoke a reaction in the other men. He does not like being called a traitor and his face begins to glow red in anger.

"Heastan come let us not fight amongst ourselves. Whatever the men here told you were a lie, we gave you the body of Ulfar after he was slain by the troll. The king's judgement is the only one that counts here, or would you become a kinslayer in these hills!! Stay your blade and join us on the return journey!"
Awe 3 (I don't know if I still count as weary. The rules state that you are weary until your endurance is above your fatigue after a rest. My endurance is as long as I am on my horse.)

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 pm

"Come," says Torwin, "This is enough delay. Let us continue on the road to Edoras, and to the King."

The man of Harrowdale's countenance is grim, and yet his actions are anything but - the black-coated Remn is turned aside, and begins to trot around Héastan and his men, as if the conversation is over.
Invoke Grim for simple success.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:13 pm

As the members of out company speak, it becomes apparent that the men with Héastan have no desire to fight you. Torwin's song has reminded them that the people of Rohan are stronger when they fight together as one and refuse to quarrel amongst themselves. Héastan himself however remains unmoved.

When Istril speaks, his face reddens, that a woman of Gondor would deign to lecture him, a warrior of Rohan seems unthinkable to him, and yet he sees that she too turns the hearts of his men against him. So persuasive is she that even though he would refuse to admit it, he begins to see that this course he is upon will lead to nothing but bloodshed and trouble if he will not veer from it.

Finally the brash young Théofred tries to intimidate him, and it is nearly too much. He almost charges forward to slay him at once, but his better judgement stops him. That and the fact that he knows he would fight alone.

"Aye, we will let the King's justice decide. We will ride with you to Edoras'" he says, humbled but still trying to show strength and dignity.

And so the the 3 groups of people set out again for the capitol. The ride is peaceful, all parties content to refrain from fighting. Imhar mostly keeps to himself knowing that many here do not trust him. A day later you arrive at Edoras and are put up once again in the same quarters you had before. You are similarly told that you will meet with the King's Reeve, whose name you learn is Ealdulf the Red. The King it seems is still away.

Eadulf takes the gold and gives each member of your company an amount worth 30 treasure. He offers 20 to Imhar and states that the rest will go to the king. The items you have found may be kept. He asks if this is acceptable to you and then says he will hear more on the matter of Héastan's complaint.
Torwin's song becomes a success.

Istril: Persuade(TN12)
Feat Die: 2*
Success Die: 6t,2
Totaling: 10 with 1 success

Unless you want otherwise, I will spend the hope to make this a great success.

Théofred: Awe(TN16)
Feat Die: 7*
Success Die: 6t,2,6t
Totaling: 21 with 2 successes

Torwin with an automatic success for grim

Hamarr
Level 3
Level 3
User Class: Slayer

Post by Hamarr » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:08 am

Invoke Fierce for a third AP? Give a bit of narrative.
When Heaustan looks as if he wishes to charge towards him, the brash Theofred puffs out his chest as if to appear larger than he is. And with his companions behind him, he appears to be a true terror.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:23 am

"Then I will take it that these terms are acceptable to you," Ealdulf states after giving you all ample time to reply. "I thank you on behalf of the King for your service. Rest well tonight, you have served the Riddermark bravely. I will speak with Héastan at his request. I ask you not to leave the city. I have another task to ask of you once you have rested, but for now, I release you to enjoy yourself as you wish here in Edoras."

With that the Reeve dismisses you. You are free to do what you may in the city tonight. There are inns for drinking and music. You may rest at the quarters provided for you.
This is the end of the adventure, we will take a very short fellowship phase here in Edoras. Everyone has earned 3 XP. AP counts are as follows (Let me know if You think I have made a mistake):

Éodir - 3
Hreweald - 6
Istril - 3
Sangric - 4
Théofred - 7
Torwin - 7

Let me know what upgrades if any you want to spend on and what undertakings you want to do.