Chapter 2 - Dark of the Moon

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Chapter 2 - Dark of the Moon

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:19 pm

Insight; is he telling the truth? Hiding something?

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Insight Test for Torwin
Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 3,4
Totaling: 7
with 1 Auto Success
Torwin gets the impression that Alfric knows more about the goblins than he is letting on. He also gets the feeling that the man has said all he is going to say.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:49 pm

"No," replies Torwin. "These are not the lands of the Wizard; he holds the tower in stewardship of Thengel King, and there we shall not go. But these lands round about are free domain of the Rohirrim, which includes us. We are not here to hunt the Lord Wizard's game, nor to leave much of a trace of our passing. It is our duty to hunt the orcs who have kidnapped the women and children of Brocdene, and to see that they are safely returned. For what you do now you do for the King or against him. But surely the King and the Wizard are united in purpose, and therefore what you do against the King, you also do against your master, the Wizard. Now will you aid or hinder us?"

Torwin nudges Remn, who begins to slowly move forward, around the men.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:16 pm

"Do not worry ourselves over our women and children being stolen and mutilated by orcs? Are you kidding me?" He laughs, he laughs loudly. "I realize that Isengard is in the stewardship of Saruman, but we are not in Isengard yet. We are but a few hours from the Gap of Rohan." He makes a point of the word Rohan. "Tell me, how is it that you have found us to easily but the marauding pack of goblins that flee before us has gotten past you so easily?" He lifts an eyebrow. He was content to play nice at first, but there are women and children in need of saving. "Time is critical in this, so either aid us as honorable men at our sides to hunt down the black-hearted beasts, and prove the alliance of our two lords, or step a side and let us be on our way. I promise you, unless these orcs have gone to have tea with your White Wizard himself, we won't bother anyone inside the walls of Isengard."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:40 am

"I realize that Saruman is a personage of great wisdom and esteem," Istril began, catching Alfric's gaze with her own and staring at him intensely. "I, at least, am not from Rohan, but from Gondor. And it seems to me that, if I remember my learning right, Saruman was granted the stewardship of Isengard several hundred years ago in the hopes that he would prove a valuable ally and friend to my people and the people of the Mark." The Gondorian woman narrowed her eyes at the other man, hoping she came across as stern. "Denying us passage to prevent a great evil is not the behavior one expects of such a friend and ally. I wonder what your master would think of such?"
Unsure if this qualifies as an Awe or Persuade attempt, but if the former, I'd like to use Piercing Sight.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 am

Istril: Awe, Piercing sight
Rolled:
Feat Die: 6*
Success Die: 4,6t,5
Totaling: 21 with 1 success (+1 AP)
Alfric tries to hold Istril's gaze, and for a moment does, but then quickly diverts his eyes. He watches as Torwin nudges Remn forward and then says, "You have heard my council, I will leave you to decide what path you will take. You might want to take a look around you. There are others here that will not greet you as favorably. Continue on your current course and our small company will be hard pressed to prevent them from attacking."

Looking to your left and right, you now see for the first time that groups of Dunlending warriors are standing on the crest of the hills on either flank. From what you can tell, there are close to thirty men watching you.

"It seems that my group was not the only one who observed you travelling in this valley. Well, I have done my duty. You can trust my word or not, it concerns me little."

With that he reigns his horse around and rides away, his soldiers following, leaving you to decide your own path.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:39 pm

"We saw them, they worry us not when the lives of our people are on the line."

Hereweald watches as the men turn and ride. He glances at Istril can catches a bit of that look she gave him. "Remind me not to have a staring contest with women from Gondor." He smirks then he looks into the hills and at the Dunlendings watching from afar. "What do we do about them?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11 pm

"I wonder," says Torwin, "If we could be lucky today. For if Imhar is among them, then there is a chance we have an ally. We could call out to see if he is. If not, I doubt they will let us freely pass through these lands, even though our intentions are good and contain no ill toward them. I think that whether we ignore them or try to use diplomacy, the result will be the same; they will tell us to leave with force. I do not relish either option."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:28 am

Istril flashed Hereweald a smile as he smirked, and tossed her hair for effect. "It would likely do no ill to see if he is present," she said quietly, her smile dropping.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:27 am

Tell me the plan.