Chapter 2 - Dark of the Moon

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:26 pm

Did I learn anything on the Insight roll great success? And Othniel, are you spending Hope?
Torwin adds to Istril's offer: "We will be glad to step back from the gate. I can even leave my bow here, as can Hereweald, if it please you."
Courtesy 1 + bonus die + Hope

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:37 am

Yeah, I'll spend hope and make another persuade attempt.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:29 am

Basically between your two insight successes, you learned that it's going to take a lot of persuasion to get them to open the gate, but that mentioning the Reeve gains you an increase in the value of a successful roll. So a reg success counts as a great success. You also now have 3 bonus dice to use, 2 left unused. I'll assume you want to add one to your second roll, O.
Istril - second persuade roll (TN 16)
Feat Die: 3*
Success Die: 5,3,3
Totaling: 14

Ouch, must be the accent. So take the failure and try again or spend hope for a success?
The man remains wary. "You do not sound like a shield-maiden of Rohan, my lady. Yet you claim to be sent on an errand of the Reeve. How can this be?

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:21 pm

"Your ears do not deceive you, friend," Istril replies, "For I am not a shieldmaiden of Rohan, but the daughter of a trader from Gondor, Rohan's friend and ally. I am Istril. My father is Nestedir, a trader out of the port of Pelargir, and my mother is a weaver. I myself am a healer of hurts and maladies. I recently arrived in Edoras at the invitation of Thengel King. These others are Torwin and Hereweald, men who have proven themselves in battle against a fell creature. They likewise received similar invitations. And as has been said before, we ride to the purpose of the Reeve and bear a writ with his seal. I swear that you have naught to fear from the three of us.
It is just the three of us right now, yeah?

At any rate, I will spend hope to push this over the top.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 pm

If additional rolls could help us, WB, I mentioned Courtesy above, but if the Insight roll suggests that Song would be better, I can edit my post to reflect that instead. If additional rolls aren't needed, you can ignore the action.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:08 pm

As, Istril finishes a torch is brought closer to the opening in the gate. you can see the yellow-orange of the firelight shining out through it into the darkness. There is silence for a moment and then voices in discussion, too soft to make out any words. A minute later there is a rattling of the bar being moved and the gate swings open to allow you passage in.

Within stands a tall man in his mid-forties. Beside him stands a younger version of himself. "Welcome, and forgive our hesitance, we do not often receive guests so late at night. I am Léofold and this is my son Léofred. Both men hold long spears. The men swing the gate shut and replace the bar, securing it. As they do, you notice two other figures. A younger son named Léofolc is introduced as well as a short and sturdy appearing retainer named Stybba.

“You are most welcome. Please, let Stybba and my boys see to your mounts and come inside. Merwyn, my wife, has a lamb stew left over from the evening meal and you all look like you might be hungry.”

Once inside, the smell of the stew is mouth-watering and Merwyn, the mistress of the house, ladles large servings of the tender meat, barley, carrots and onions into wooden bowls. The stew is served along with black bread and salted butter. The master of the house opens a keg of ale and fills leather jacks for each of you.

"So, tell me, what news is there from Edoras and abroad," Léofold asks as you take your meal.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Hereweald was about ready to simply set up tents outside the gate and wait for morning, but then the gates swing open. "Well met Leofold, and Leofred!" He clasps the younger of the men on the shoulder and hands over the reigns of his horse. "We have been on the road all day and a warm hearth, and warm food would do us well. Such a trip is not so hard, but Torwin here has soft feet!" He winks suggesting he's just joking around. "Have you had trouble here recently? Seems the whole realm is suffering from some thing or another, be it aggressive boars, or bad rains."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:06 am

Once the gate swings open, Istril dips her head in thanks. She flashes the men a warm smile as well. "Thank you ever so much. Spending the night in the open would have been less than ideal." Following along inside, she allows the men to handle her horse - they know the beasts better than she, after all - and says little once the food is served, preferring instead to listen as Hereweald speaks.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:55 pm

Torwin thanks Léofold for his hospitality, and then again when Merwyn begins serving the food. He is quiet while the group exchanges niceties with their hosts, letting Hereweald and Istril share what they will of their errand.

At some point ale is brought out, and in a quiet moment he adds, "The Reeve himself recommended you and your steading to us. It seems you are in good standing with the King. Though I would expect prudence when strangers come to your gate at night, have you had more reason to be wary of late? We had to investigate troubles in the farms near the Grimslade, and have been wondering if they were isolated."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:02 am

Awareness:
Istril
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 1,4
Totaling: 10

Hereweald
SAURON
Success Die: 2
Totaling: 2

Torwin
SAURON
Success Die: 3
Totaling: 3
"Yes, we heard rumors of a beast attacking the steadings near the Grimslade. Nasty business although rumor is that the monster is dead. As far as other dangers, there are no more than usual in the winter here between the mountains. Dunlendings raid from time to time as do orcs and wolves. It is best to stay behind high walls during the dark hours," Léofold replies. Dinner is hearty and you exchange news of the outside world with your hosts. Soon you are filled and ready for rest. The fire is burned down to embers and you help stoke it before settling in for the night. Furs are laid out on the floor and you are given blankets. Stybba sleeps beside you. One by one you begin to drop off into a well earned sleep.

Second Awareness roll:
Istril
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: 4,1
Totaling: 15

Hereweald
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 1
Totaling: 6

Torwin
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: 1
Totaling: 11
Suddenly Istril sits up, waking the others. She motions for you to be quiet and listen. The living quarters of the house are on the second story and below you your horses are stabled. It is obvious that something is upsetting the animals as you can hear them snorting and stamping below.

"Likely wolves," says Stybba. "Have no worries, no wolves can climb these walls. The horses will settle down presently. You'd best get some rest while you can."

After a bit, Stybba's words prove true and the horses settle down. You sleep a fitful sleep in peace. Morning dawns and Merwyn feeds you again with a hearty breakfast while Stybba and Léofold's sons tend to your horses. Soon it is time to leave.