Chapter 2 - Dark of the Moon

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Chapter 2 - Dark of the Moon

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:02 pm

And so you enter the valley of Nan Curunir. This time there is no doubt you are trespassing uninvited into the wizard's vale. You make your way warily, watching for any signs of opposition. For a while the only sight you see is that of a great black crow observing you from a tree branch and then taking off to wing its way west toward Isengard. Still you press on, following the trail, hopeful that your mission will seem justified if you do encounter anyone within the valley.

Several hours pass without any disturbance, when suddenly Hereweald signals the others to his side. "We are being followed, I am certain of it." he tells you. A few miles back I thought I heard the sound of movement in the trees to our left. Since then I have seen the glint of the sun on steel and footsteps."

You look around and see and hear nothing and so decide to continue on. Now that you are all aware of Hereweald's observation, you can all occasionally make out an out of place sound in the trees. Once or twice, you see figures moving in parallel to your path, stopping when you stop, pressing on when you press forward. So far you have met no resistance.

Awareness tests (TN 14):
Hereweald:
GANDALF
Success Die: 1
Totaling: 1
with 1 Auto Success

Istril:
Rolled:Feat Die: 3*
Success Die: 2,5
Totaling: 10

Torwin:

Feat Die: 9*
Success Die: 2
Totaling: 11

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:42 pm

As they continue on, knowing they are being followed, Torwin whispers to the other two, "Are we still on the orcs' trail, and should we call out to those trailing us? It might be better if we ignore them, if they mean to ambush us, we can pretend to be at unawares. But if they are just investigating, it would be better to let them know our intentions in the Wizard's vale."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:10 pm

"We are on the trail still. I can't be sure who is following us, its not orcs however. I suspect that is true enough." He trots along on horseback, wondering what should be done. "We are certainly in the Wizard Vale now. We could call out to them, perhaps they are his men watching and keeping an eye on us. Perhaps they are something sinister."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:23 pm

"Or more Dunlendings?" Istril suggests, eyeing the shadows.

thattripletguy
Level 1
Level 1
User Class: Fighter

Post by thattripletguy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:58 am

"I would almost certainly say Dunlendings. That, or goblins, but most likely Dunlendings," Wulfhelm says as he watches the shadows.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:15 pm

"Perhaps Dunlendings, this area is a strange land, it belongs to Rohan, or the Wizard, but once was controlled by the Dunlendings. Perhaps its all three these days, all one in the same, when lands are abandoned they are owned by those that choose to live there." He keeps moving, then pauses and speaks a bit louder to the group, his voice may carry, "We must find the captives, we must hunt the orcs down. The wizard would not take kindly to orcs capturing his allies and bringing them into his Vale. Tread carefully and with respect my friends."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:51 pm

If Hereweald's words are heard by those following you, they make no sign. You continue on, unimpeded for another couple of miles. The land here is more open with rolling hills at the foot of the mountains. In the distance you see five riders approaching from the west. They are making their way toward you. you see no sign of those who have been following your group.

As the group of riders draws closer, you an see them better. four of them are wearing corselets of leather, studded with brass buttons and leather caps reinforced with iron strips. They wield spears and axes hang on leather loops from their saddle pommels. Their shields are black with the device of a hand painted in white upon them.

Their leader is clad in a blackened mail coat, long dark hair tied loosely at the nape of his neck, his eyes deep-set and dark.

Your two groups continue toward each other until you are some 50 feet apart. Their leader halts their company and greets you. "Well met, travelers. I am Afric a guard in service of the White Wizard. I am afraid I must ask you to turn around and go back to where you came from. My lord is not inclined to take visitors today."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Hereweald sits lazily in the saddle as the riders approach, "Well met men of Isengard. I am Hereweald, honor servant of the King of Rohan, these are my traveling companions. I was starting to wonder when we might be properly greeting." He glances at his companions then hops down from his horse. "It seems we are both in luck then, as we are not riding to speak to the most respectable wizard Saruman. We are on a mission of mercy, for you see a group of women and children have been kidnapped by orcs." He motions at the trail the group has been following, "We have chased them this far, from in the sovereign lands of Rohan, into the Vale. We have not had the proper time to send out greetings or ask permission for the very life of these innocence people is at stake. We know the wizard to be friend of Rohan and foe of the Shadow, so we hoped to beg forgiveness instead of waiting to ask permission to save these poor defenseless women." He's not really sure where all that just came from, perhaps lingering around Torwin has taught him a bit of diplomacy.
True-hearted - the search for the poor women and children
Toss in some Inspire the hearts of these men to kindness and compassion

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:24 pm

"Have you seen evidence of orc in these lands, even today?" Torwin asks, feeling that Hereweald has spoken well and little more needs be said.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:12 pm

Alfric seems unmoved by either Hereweald or Torwin's words. His face remains expressionless. When you finish speaking he replies. "I do understand your concerns. Rest assured that we will do our utmost to find these orcs, you need not worry yourselves. If these people are found, we will send them home. We are quite capable of protecting these lands. Now, I ask you again, please return to your own lands."