Chapter 2 - Dark of the Moon

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Chapter 2 - Dark of the Moon

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:01 pm

It has been a long few days, between the rides, the fights, and the sleepless nights Hereweald is exhausted. He needs rest. When the Lord Heamarh arrives he takes that as his cue that this watch is done. He finds himself a place off in some quite building and sleeps, he sleeps for hours, and doesn't care what happens throughout the day. Eventually his stomach rumbles and he grows hungry and so wakes and joins the others once more.

The tale is told no doubt already, but if not he assists Torwin and Istril in telling it to the Lord. He checks on his horse once, to stretch his legs, but he's in no hurry to do much of anything, heavy is the weight of his failure to save the captives from the Orcs.
Sort of isolate himself for a time, eventually return to the fellowship after some time. He needs good long rest in the down time.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Torwin could accept that the villagers were lost; in fact he could believe that the men of Saruman's guard were true, and that they would see to it that the captives would be released.

But being surrounded by the Dunlendings triggered a memory in him, one he had been able to put away these months in King Thengel's service. A nightmare in which a blue-faced enemy piled over the walls of the stronghold, and killed all within, where he and men alongside him could not save the city, where the King fell and with him, so did Rohan. A dream so compelling that he had used a valuable mearasgifu to earn an audience with the King, so that he could share it.

He had hoped that in service to the King, and in sharing the message, the nightmare would remain just that. But being surrounded by the wild men of Dunland, who blocked them and justice against orcs, and said not a word... it brought too much reality to his dreams. And though the thoughts did not make him afraid, it felt too much like fate, swallowing him up. Like the curse that had buried his mother in the Dwimerhorn, and his father in Edoras, and had nearly buried him as well. And in that moment when they turned around and gave up on their task, it felt like the blessing that had been following him had disappeared, and his family's misfortunes had returned. In fact, it brought to his mind darker thoughts, seeing the line of his fate unthreading even before this moment, to the night before when the warg had nearly killed him.

But before he could fall into real despair, he remembered the old rhymes shared by the elder women of Harrowdale, whenever plague or crop failures, or even great harvests, went through their lands. "Wyrd bið ful aræd - fate is inexorable." And he remembered that though there was some truth to that, he had himself changed his fate, and though the curse could threaten to follow him, it had also been stayed, and that by his own strength. These thoughts brought him out of his sadness, and he was able to join with those celebrating the mostly victorious folk of Brocdene.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:06 am

Istril had lost patients before - she was a healer, after all - but to be denied any attempt at salvation of those they sought made her heart burn within her chest. She threw herself into doing something useful, volunteering her time and skill at healing in the treatment of any battle wounds the men and women of Brocdene may have suffered.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:59 pm

You are given time to rest and recover. A night and a day you are left to do as you will. The time is much needed and by the end of the day following Héamarh's return, you are much improved in both body and spirit. Messengers are sent to tell you that you are to be guest of honor at a feast offered by the Lord an Lady of Brocdene come evening. Héeamarh wants to meet the brave men and woman who aided his village in their time of need. You suspect he may wish to hear your news regarding Ulfúr for himself. The night promises to be one of celebration.

In due time, you are called to the Hall of Bregoseld where you are seated at the head table with Héamarh, Ethelwyn, and Healaf. Joining you at the table is also Déoric, Bruna and their daughter, Déora.

The feast is hearty with fresh venison and trout. Mead and ale flow generously and the hall is filled with talk and singing. As the meal comes to an end, Lord Héamar becomes more serious. He focuses on your company and says, "My wife tells me you came bearing news about my firstborn and his death. Tell me again what happened and of your task here."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Though he had enjoyed the meal and ale, Torwin's countenance was somber. It was hard to tell how he felt, but it did not necessarily show that he was not enjoying the evening. He turns at the words of Lord Héamar then bows.

"We were sent by Eadulf, Reeve of Thengel King, to deliver weregild for the loss of Ulfúr, and also to bring his share in the gold."

Then he picks up Hereweald's chant, which he had before chanted for Lady Ethelwyn, a dirge to honor of their son. It spoke of a man who was the very essence of the Men of the Mark, tall, in a coat of shining mail, furs on his shoulders, blonde hair woven into braids, girt for war, great to behold. It spoke of his charisma, his brash temper, and his quick smile. It spoke of the terror of the Horse-eater, his leading men into the Grimgelad and the monster's dark cave, and the evil voice on the wind. Finally, it spoke of the battle with the troll, Ulfúr's sacrifice, the beast slain, his burial, the return of his blade, and the honor now shown by Thengel King.
Song 3

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:21 am

Feat Die: 9*
Success Die: 4,6t,2
Totaling: 21 with 1 success

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Hereweald joins Torwin in the song, he sings when he must, and hums at other times. He speaks plain and true but leaves out a few bits that he knows will upset the lord and isn't fully needed. He is tired as well, and is happy that things are coming to a close with all of this, but his mind lingers on the stolen Rohirrim still.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:28 pm

Istril does not join in the song; she doesn't know the language well enough and hasn't the skill with singing that her two companions possess. But her heart is stirred at the sound nonetheless.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:20 am

Héamarh listens intently to your retelling of his son's death. Once you finish your song, he addresses your company. "It is a good song. My son was rash and obstinate and I know you have treated him more favorably than you might have. Normally there would be less welcome for bearers of such news and yet it seems you have done much in service to my people and so I owe you a great debt. You are welcome here any time your journey takes you into these lands. You may stay as long as you may or come and go as you will."

Next to him, Déoric nods in agreement. "Thank you for saving my wife and daughter from who knows what hell they were facing. I have a fine heard of horses. If you wish, each of you shall choose a Radhors to your liking. It is little repayment for a debt that cannot be paid in full. My horses are renowned for being surefooted and night eyed. May they serve you well in your journeys."

Héamarh then turns to Déoric. "And friend, there is another matter at hand that mus be discussed. My son Héalaf and your daughter Déora. I think we have postponed their union long enough. I think a marriage to bind our families is long overdue. Now that Héalaf is my sole heir, he needs a wife and a son. What do you say, shall we set a date?"

Déora seems giddy with excitement at the though of marrying Héalaf. The young man for his part looks to be a bit in shock, but recovers quickly and smiles weakly at his bride to be. For the next half hour a discussion takes place regarding the time and place for the wedding, early in the summer. Invitations are offered to any of you who wish to attend.

The feasting and drinking lasts long into the night. Héamarh promises to seek out Saruman in regard to the lost captives. He declares that Ulfùr's weregild will be donated for the rebuilding of what was destroyed by the orcs.

At last the night winds down and you return to your rooms to rest, tomorrow will see you heading back to Edoras.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:44 pm

Hereweald is eager to see the horses, and to pick one for himself. He sings the praises of the lord of these lands, and at some point congratulates Healaf on his pending nuptials, and he offers the same to Deora proclaiming the pair a fine match and promising to attend the wedding if he should be able too. "Rare the the happy times and festivals we get to attend. I say we need more weddings and less funerals in these parts." He thanks the lord again and is pleased to hear what will be come of the wereguild and that the father of Ulfur is less like his son that he expected. He drinks and revels into the night until the party comes to an end, unless he might woo a young maiden into his bed. If so he barely sleeps that night, if not he drinks a bit more before going to his quarters.

Then he sleep and he sleeps late into the next day, in no hurry to return to Edoras.