Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:04 pm

"Agreed." Hearweald is a skilled hunter, but not a silent burglar. "You men, wait here, we'll move around the west side a bit, then charge in, and we will close in on them from the flank when they turn to face you. Remember the Lady's safety comes first." He catches his breath from the hunt, and readies his weapon so to open a volley into the enemy first once the noise of the lord's men turns the Dunlendings around.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:14 am

Talking it through with Éogar's men, it seems little sense to try to actually sneak up on the Dunlendings in the wood. Instead it would be better to make them assume that enemies are coming from an entirely different direction, and that they are surrounded.

Torwin suggests that the three of them lead some men around the wood, bringing with them many horses, so as to give the appearance (in the sound of many hooves charging). Once in position, they should make a loud charge and battle cry--with the additional horses it should sound like an overwhelming force.

He continues, "This will draw the Dunlendings out toward you Éogar the rest of your men, who can hide until the last moment in the grass. With bows and swords at the ready you can spring the trap. If the chief is faced between two such forces, he ought to surrender, thereby taking no risks with the Lady, and enabling us to question these Dunlendings before you make judgment on them."
I'm guessing Explore to find our way around the wood quickly, then Awe to try to convince the Dunlendings in hiding that our force is strong and that they ought to run from that position?

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:54 pm

A couple of things, first of all I want to welcome Greyfox to the game. I think he is now caught up and he is willing to be a member of Eogar's group. Fréhelm is his name and he will now be introduced. Secondly, I don't think I quite follow your plan, BB. I may not have been clear. You are deep in the forest, having left your horses behind. The wood is fairly large. You could set up a diversion and attack from the flank, but it would be a battle among the trees.
As Torwin and Herewaeld discuss the best way to confront the raiders and rescue the lady, one of Eogar's men steps forward. "My name is Fréhelm. What can me and my men do to assist?", he asks.

GR3YF0X
Level 0
Level 0

Post by GR3YF0X » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:02 am

A fierce rider of the Mark steps forward, his eyes don't bother trying to hide a deep vegence that lays within. "I serve Éogar", he says with little to no expression. "Those that earn my trust call me Fréhelm, others only know me by my spear", as the sun catches the edge of steel on his back, flickering up the seemingly endless spike, revealing its unaturally sharp point. It's inscribed with markings that do not belong to the land of men. The spear appears to conceal secrets witheld from the naked eye. Breaking the pull the weapon appears to have on those around him, Fréhelm asks, "Are you the ones that claim to serve the king of this land and wish to aid the Marshal of Westfold? If so, what can me and my men do to assist?"

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:01 am

Istril finds her attention drawn from the conversation and to the Rider who steps forward. Here is one with anger burning in his heart, she thinks. She holds her tongue, however, deeming it her companions' place to speak with their countryman first.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:59 pm

Hearweald mutters quietly to Istril, "Friendship or murder, must be hard to be a merchant around this Fréhelm." He then steps forward and lifts his voice, "We claim nothing, we only speak the truth. We are here, and have done more to save the Lady than any other so let us not delay or linger on such matters for the moment." He knows they need another spear, and decides he will trust the man regardless of the strange markings on the spear, "The four of us should circle around as best we can, and drive the Dunlendings back toward Eogar's other men. Catch them on two fronts, but we can not delay, or they will still escape."

He winces again from the wound in his side from fighting these men once already only hours ago.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

GR3YF0X
Level 0
Level 0

Post by GR3YF0X » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:23 am

Fréhelm stares at Hearweald, not breaking his gaze, as tension builds around their exchange. However, his expression changes to a warmer one as he gives a slight nod, then turns to his men who appear to be loyal to his every move. Lifting his spear, Fréhelm signals his men to take arms. "We ride for battle, let's run these Dunlendings into the ground!"
Last edited by GR3YF0X on Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:43 pm

I obviously have not done a great job setting the scene. You are all deep in the woods. You had to leave horses behind as you pursued the Dunlendings. You now have found them in a clearing and they are not yet aware of you. From what I can make of your plans, the intention is for Eogar's men to cause a distraction as the rest of the company attacks from the rear/flank. If that is what you all want, I will have Fréhelm initiate the attack and then, the rest of you can get in an ambush attack (no retaliation) on the next round. Does that sound okay?

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:39 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting, guys. Thanks for the clarification, WB.
Torwin nods as Fréhelm introduces himself and offers to help. Though the man is grim, he does not take offense at his fierceness and lack of knowledge of their company's relationship with the Second Marshal.

"Yes, if your men would create a distraction, that would allow us to attack from the flank. The key to this is when our ambush is sprung the Dunlendings must feel a sense of helplessness, of being surrounded. We need them to surrender. Prolonged bloodshed will endanger the Lady. If all of them are killed and the Lady is wounded or worse, we have failed. If no vengeance is taken this day, and the Lady is brought safely away, we have more than succeeded. For both answers and justice can be obtained and given in their proper time. I urge your men to fire no arrows."
Torwin agrees with the plan of attack. Will Fréhelm join the three of us, or be with Éogar's men?

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:52 pm

For simplicity's sake, I will have him join the company.