Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:48 pm

"I think it is a grand idea, though Torwin speaks for me as well," Istril quickly agrees. "I would not mar the plan by having it seem contrived."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Thengel explains a bit further, "I think it would perhaps be useful for you to know the root cause of the current feud. A few years ago, a nephew of Cenric’s killed a cousin of Éogar in a fight over a woman. Éogar’s family claimed it was murder. Cenric’s family said the killer was attacked first and therefore refused to pay a weregild. The nephew holed up in a village in the Folde, but the next year he was caught on the road
by riders from Westfold and slain – and the woman who was the cause of the dispute married into Éogar’s family after all. Compensation was offered for the death of his nephew, but Cenric refused, saying blood alone would suffice. Now the fighting has escalated with neither side showing any willingness to back down. It is far past time for the men of the Mark to be spilling eachother's blood over a ridiculous grievance."

Morwen listens and nods as Istril speaks. "Yes, I agree this seems an odd request for a group of warriors as yourselves, but I do not think that this needs feel contrived. Esmund and Mildryd once had a great affection for one another and I believe still do. Fate and grief have kept them apart, but I think that it would not take much to remind them of their friendship. Both have the respect of their lords and the people know of their tragic stories. If the two of them would agree to this be it from love for one another or just love of their country, it would go a long way to heal the division between the Eastfold and Westfold."

Thengel interjects, "These Marshalls are both great men, but I fear their foolish pride will forever keep them from putting aside their petty grievances. I cannot say that this plan will work, but it may give them an opportunity to make concessions without losing face. "

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:19 pm

Hereweald drinks , he holds his mug up and smiles, "My King, we will happily do what is best for Rohan, and any task you give to us. I think my companions have a good question. How are we to get the happy couple together? If they live so very far apart." He thinks a moment, "Could we perhaps offer some event to force them to see one another, a hunt, a festival, a reason to bring them near to one another. Or shall we simply kidnap the groom to be and deliver him to his long lost love's doorstep." He smiles and laughs all in good spirits, as he a bit too deep into his spirits.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:37 pm

"Thank you, your Majesty," Torwin replies to the King and Queen.

"I do also have some other reason that I may be able to give to Mildryd, and that is, when Éogar was recently at court I had the opportunity to speak with him and to offer my help to him with a project. I would like to know how it now goes."

Looking at Hereweald Torwin continues, "Did you not have some favorable conversation with Lord Cenric as well? I feel it incredibly strange that at this particular time, fate would give the two of us the notice of these Marshals."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:42 pm

"I have a small idea," Istril chimes in. "As you know, I am a healer and herbalist by trade, besides which I have picked up some knowledge of trading from my father. I would like to take this opportunity - now that we are about to set about a peaceful task - to see what your beautiful land has to offer for study of herbs that might offer curative properties. I could ask both parties if they possess such knowledge, or at least might point me in the right direction. This would give us another - I hesitate to say legitimate, as your majesty's plan is meritorious, but it would give us another good reason to be about our business."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:38 am

"My sense of the matter is that Esmund will not accept without Cenric's approval and Mildryd likewise will not leave Éogar's service unless he releases her. The Marshals will need to be convinced whether it is out of care for the young couple or for the kingdom. Whatever you can do to bring about the marriage will be very useful. If you have the favor of the Marshals already, then perhaps you will find them easier to persuade. Whatever happens, it is time for the Eastfold and Westfold to put aside their grievances." Thengel looks at the three of you. "I will let you chose your next course of action. Ride West to Éogar or east to find Cenric."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:35 pm

"Thank you, your Majesty," Torwin says. "I cannot think of anything else we need, unless you believe a letter with your seal to open doors that may be closed to us will be necessary, I believe my friends and I can prepare. We will send word to the Reeve when we depart and whether we go east or west." He looks at the others to see if they have anything final to add.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:48 am

The meal comes to an end in due course. You are informed that At this time of year, Cenric will be found in the fields of the Eastfold visiting his herds and their guards. He will likely be accompanied by both Esmund and Gálmód, his foster son and close councilor. Thengel warns you that Gálmód is cunning and to be wary in your dealings with him. Éogar should be found at the Fords of Isen, making plans for the spring and summer. Morwen suggests that when they speak with him, it may
help to win the approval of Esfled, his wife.

After leaving the King's hall, you head back to your rooms to make preparations for your journey. You have decided to head to Westfold in search of Éogar. This is a path now well known to you as once again you set out once again on the Great West Road. It is a trip of 110 miles, along easy, well traveled road. Torwin acts as the guide as he has done before. Istril acts as lookout, while Hereweald remains the company's hunter.

The journey starts off easily enough although late in the evening of the first day a thunderstorm rolls in and although you are able to find some shelter from the rain under an outcropping of rocks, the winds howl fiercely throughout the night. The next morning, the ground is sodden and slows your travel down a bit. Soon you come to a place where a tree has been uprooted and lies across the road. It takes some effort to clear the path enough for your horses to pass through. It is Torwin who manages to clear a way through that your horses can take and soon you are able to get back on your way with minimal delay and no real fatigue.

As noon approaches, you see the familiar sights of the land nearing the Gap of Rohan. In the distance a rider swiftly approaches. You continue your ride westward as the rider races toward you, obviously on some urgent errand. Soon you can make out the figure of a Horse Maiden. She sees you and gallops up to you, reining her horse to a stop, just long enough to breathlessly say, "Greatings countrymen (she looks questioningly for a moment at Istril as she says this), I am Rynelda Fast-rider. If you are able, Éogar has need of your aid. Seek out Grimborn at the Fords of Isen, he will be able to tell you more. Now I must go, for I am headed to Edortas to speak to the King." She prepares to spur her horse back to a gallop. You have but a moment to stop her, if you have any further questions before she departs.

Rolls:
Hereweald - Lore(TN 15):
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: 3
Totaling: 13 = fail

Istril - Lore(TN 13)
Feat Die: 8*
Success Die: 2,3
Totaling: 13 = 1 bonus die

Torwin - Lore(TN 16)
Feat Die: 7*
Success Die:
Totaling: 7

Journey:
Feat Die: 4 (+1) - Hindrance
Success Die: 6t - (Player's Choice)

Torwin: Travel (TN 12)
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 3,2,6t
Totaling: 16 with 1 success

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:20 am

Istril pulls up her mount and gazes at the other woman, though she holds her tongue to allow her companions to speak with their countrymen. She does, however, offer a smile and a nod.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:08 am

"Thank you Rynelda. I am Torwin, this is Hereweald, and Istril. We will go directly to Grimborn. Has there been an attack, or an accident of some kind?" asks Torwin.
I assume that's an AP for Torwin (Movement), and if Istril hasn't gotten one in Vocation then she would, or could invoke a Trait to get a 2nd one...