Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

Post by Wbweather » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:11 pm

Okay, Herewaeld is going to have to tough it out against 3 of the dunlendings until his companions arrive.
Hereweald feins fear as he draws his sword and takes a well practiced swing at the closest of the raiders. His sword conects and he han hear the man gasp as he staggers back from the blow. The others two move in quickly with axes raised, ready to hack the limbs from this Forgoil.

They still seem to underestimate his fighting ability and neither of their attacks do him any damage as he deftly ducks under the arc of the first swinging axe while the second is harmlessly deflected by his shield. Thew injured raider seems less interested in approaching the warrioras closely and thrusts at Herewaeld with his spear. He obiously is still off balance from the sword stike however and his spear misses its mark entirely.
Hereweald
Sword attack:
Rolled:
Feat Die: 9*
Success Die: 2,6t,1
Totaling: 18 with 1 success =10 end loss to Raider 1

Raider 2
Axe
Rolled:
Feat Die: 4*
Success Die: 1,4
Totaling: 9 = miss

Raider 3
Axe
Rolled:
Feat Die: 2*
Success Die: 3,6t
Totaling: 11 with 1 success = miss

Raider 1
Spear
Rolled:
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 6t,1,1
Totaling: 13 with 1 success = miss
---------
As the group enters the wood lead by Istril, the voice of Herewaeld is heard screaming loudly.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!"

Looking at one another, Istril and Torwin both quicken their pace drawing their weapons as they do so.The Marshal and his men follow suite.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:29 pm

Hereweald screams again, "No! No don't kill me, don't run away to the (direction they fled)! NOOOOO!" He keeps his shield up and his defense at the ready. Again he steps and strikes, spins and puts his shield between him and several of the men.
Defensive Stance. Let's attack the wounded guy and try and finish him off.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:08 pm

"That was Hereweald," says Torwin, drawing his bow, looking at Istril and then the Marshall. "We must be quick! Keep an eye out for the men we sent to circle around this wood. If we do not find the Dunlendings, I hope they do."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:57 am

Herewaeld Sword: Spending hope
Rolled:
Feat Die: 4*
Success Die: 2,1,6t
Totaling: 13 + 7 = 20 with 1 success - Great success for 10 end loss
Calling out so that his companions might here that the Dunlendings are beginning to flee, Herewaeld slices again at the injured man, who attempts to parry the blow with his spear, but at the last minute Herewaeld redirects the force on the blade hitting the man solidly in the gut. The man wobbles on his legs, looking for a moment like he may fall but barely manages to steady himself.
Enemy Rolls:
Axe
Rolled:
Feat Die: 7*
Success Die: 5,4
Totaling: 16 - miss
-----------------------------
Axe:
Rolled:
SAURON
Success Die: 3,3
Totaling: 6 - 5 end loss, piercing blow

Spear:
Rolled:
Success Die: 3,4,3
Totaling: 17 - 5 end loss

Armor test:
Rolled:
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 1,5,4
Totaling: 15 + 4 = 19, no injury
The first man swing his axe in a great arc that is easy to read and Hereweald deftly raises his shield to turn the blade. As he does so, the second Dunlending lands a heavy blow across his exposed back. The blade drives several of the links of the mail shirt into Hereweald's skin but the armor holds and though leaving the Rohirrim gasping in pain, does not inflict a serious wound. It does slow him for a moment and he fails to step out of the way of the spear head thrusting at him as he takes an additional hit to his leg.
Herewaeld is now at 17 endurance and fatigued.
Herewaeld begins to doubt that he can fight off these three warriors alone. He steadies himself and prepares to take as many of them down with him as he can.

------------------------------
Torwin and Istril are now running as fast as they can to catch up to Herewald. They can hear the ringing of steel blades on a wooden shield just ahead, suddeenly they are into the clearing, Éogar and his men not too far behind them. They see Herewaeld tak a spear to the thigh. The man is fighting bravely, but his looks desperate.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:40 pm

"Its about time, I was saving a few of them for you!" He spots Eogar, "They took her that way, only a few moments ago! Go! Go now!" He points with sword the direction the other men fled with the woman. He holds his ground, shield up, and readies to defend himself, pressing the attack how that his allies have arrived.
Defensive Stance, attack the most wounded. Spend Hope if its a good hit (or to save my life)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:44 am

"Gondor!" Istil breaks into the clearing, drawing her slender blade. "We are with you!"
Draw longsword. Open stance.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Torwin draws his bow and aims his shot at one of the Dunlendings now flanking Hereweald.
Are we rolling for Battle? Rearward; if I get a battle die, spend it.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:54 am

Okay, updated the previous post so that Herewaeld spends hope for a great success, just about finishing his man off, but not quite.And dorn it, I forgot to roll battle rolls.
Battle Rolls:
Herewaeld:
Rolled:
Feat Die: 1*
Success Die: 6t,1
Totaling: 8 with 1 success

Istril:
Success Die: 5,6t
Totaling: 18 with 1 success - 2 bonus dice

Torwin:
Rolled:
SAURON
Success Die: 4,4
Totaling: 8

Herewaeld: Sword (weary)
Rolled:
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: 6t,(1),(3)
Totaling: 16 with 1 success
Just then, Herewaeld hears the sound of his companions as they rush into the clearing and he begins to think that he might survive this fight after all. With one final thrust of his sword, he tries to put the wounded spearman down for good. His strength seems to falter though and his sword slides off the man's spear this time (Eligible for hope expenditure for a great success).
Istril - Longsword
Rolled:
SAURON
Success Die: 5,6t + 8
Totaling: 19 with 1 success = great success - 12 endurance loss
Also he will attempt a called shot because of the Sauron
Istril runs in to engage one of the axemen swinging her longsword in a great arc at the mans neck. He ducks to miss the blow but the woman of Gondor's stroke is well aimed and drives deep into the man's shoulder.
Torwin - Bow 2
Rolled:
Feat Die: 6*
Success Die: 2,4
Totaling: 12
Finally Torwin hanging back at the treeline unleashes an arrow at the third man, but his shot goes wide.
If you want to add a bonus die to your roll Istril, or give one away, I will let you do that this round. Otherwise we will just declare them before the rolls as usual next round.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:09 pm

Love that I'm playing with fire here, but it's too appropriate for how I imagine Torwin's character to be . . .
I don't see the roll you made for Torwin's shot.
Invoke Ominous Blessing to turn the Eye into a G so that I get a Battle die. Gain 1 temporary Shadow. I'll post whether I spend that die once I see the roll you made, to see if it's worth using the die...

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:11 am

I don't remember where I am with hope, but I'll spend one for a great success.