Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:51 am

"I think we should go to the Marshal," says Torwin. "We were after all, sent here on another errand. Though we will serve the Marshal in this urgent matter, we must also find Mildryd in the meantime. As for whether Dunlendings are behind the kidnapping or not, they are certainly not without guilt."

He pauses, then continues explaining his thoughts, "Do not hear me as saying I believe that the Dunlendings have turned from their wild ways; only that I do not believe them powerful or wise enough to hatch this plan of capturing Esfled. I remember too well our failed endeavour to recapture the prisoners in the Wizard's vale. That seems to me, more related to this somehow.

"If the Marshal turns his eye to vengeance on the Dunlendings, the real enemy may get away. It is my hope that the three of us can be the eyes and ears to look where others have not; to answer what in my heart an open question: why has the one behind this desired to personally provoke the Marshall?"

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

Post by Wbweather » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:37 pm

So, after some discussion, it is decided that your duty is to find the Marshall and perhaps if possible, avoid further conflict between the Rohirrim and the Dunlendings. To do so, you must enter the West-March and locate the Derne Wood. This requires that you leave the Great West Road, taking the muddy road leading south. It passes by Grimslade, the valley that is home to Grimborn, and leads into a country that is wilder than the vales of Westfold or Eastfold.

You let Grimborn know of your decision and as he has said, he makes no attempt to stop you. He does point you in the general dirrection of the Derne Wood, but says that it might be difficult to find if you do not know the land in this part of the world.

Having has some rest, you load up your gear on your horses and set forth. The land here about is less settled. less civilized. From time to time the road passes meager little villages of the mixed folk of the West-march, fishers and farmers, some more Dunlending and some closer to the Eorlingas. It is a fertile, wooded land with many hills and valleys tumbling out from the mountains.

For the most part, the locals scurry into their homes when they see you approaching. It appears they fear some sort of conflict is brewing and wish to stay uninvolved if possible.
I will do dice rolls to see if you know where the Derne Woods are as soon as I find the dice roller.

Okay, players with Riddermark-Lore can test Lore to see if they know where the Derne Wood is. This allows you to travel straight there without a search/delay. Torwin is the only companion with Riddermark-lore, and unfortunately his skill is a 0. He failed the roll with a 7. There are other ways to find where the Derne wood is however...
You know that your destination is not more than a days journey from the Ford of Isen, however, you soon realize that you do not know where you are heading and none of you is able to recall enough about the West-march to confidently say what direction you should head in. as morning passes, you realize that you don't know how to reach your destination and likely will not find it without some searching.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:56 pm

So I need to know what you want to do, start searching, ask directions, pick a direction and just go?

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:17 pm

Torwin considers their predicament, but is thankful to know a great company must have ridden with the Marshal, and their path should be traceable. "Hereweald, why don't you see if you can find evidence of their tracks, while I will use what you find to scout ahead, to see if the general way they must have gone becomes more evident? Or maybe we should just ask for directions, first. I am sure someone who lives here might guide us..."
Look for someone to ask, or Explore 2

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:56 pm

Hereweald, "I can search for tracks, but this is a wild and wide country. Let us ask the locals for some help first, then we can narrow our search. I wish we had thought to bring a scout from the mustering." He will join the others to seek out a local from any of the small hamlets to ask for directions politely.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:19 am

"I second the idea of seeking local help," Istril agrees, looking around for settlements. "Anyone in the area will know these parts better than we."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:29 pm

It is decided that you will try asking directions from some of the locals. It soon becomes apparent that they prefer to stay out of site. Whenever you attempt to approach a village or farmstead, the inhabitants quickly withdraw inside. Perhaps they fear the wrath of Éogar or just prefer to stay out of the middle of the dispute. You soon realize that it will take some convincing to get them to cooperate.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:36 pm

"Let's find a kid or someone young; not only will the passing of the Marshal be something they remember, but they will likely be less afraid," says Torwin. "And barring that, should we just knock on a door?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:31 pm

"Good idea, and if they aren't as brainwashed as the rest, they may be more easily swayed by the stern voice of an adult -- friend or not." So Hereweald looks for a young boy or girl to corner with the company. Then he instantly regrets this whole thing, This isn't going to end well.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Do you have a particular skill you want to try?