Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:29 pm

Hereweald curses himself silently for being so oblivious to the scout's approach. Once he's long gone he dares whisper to Istril. "My hope is fading Torwin will return in time, we should be ready to strike if we must. But, let us do as you suggest and give Torwin as much time as possible. It could be dawn before he returns."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:10 pm

Éogar did recently meet Torwin before this; in this interaction he needn't have shown recognition due to the stressful nature of events.
Still wearing the Horse-tailed helm that the Marshal had gifted him Torwin bows; he momentarily sets his eyes on the beautiful shield-maiden, whom he assumes is Mildryd, then speaks to Éogar with fervor.

"My Lord Marshal, the King has sent two of my companions and I to seek you for an errand unrelated to the urgent situation before us. It was only as we neared these lands did we hear from the men in your camp about the kidnapping. Rather than waiting we decided to come immediately to aid.

I have come with good news: on our way to find you we found the Dunlendings hidden in a wood and there spied the Lady, tied up but as far as we could see, unharmed. Two of my companions stayed close to keep an eye on their movements and sent me to come and find you. I can guide you to their camp immediately.

May I put forward one request, my Lord, which I believe you will be in agreement about?"
Inspire 2 (favoured).

I have both the reward from Gain Favour in the Golden Hall, and the bonus +2 Tolerance, from the two Undertakings I had last Fellowship phase. I don't necessarily want to use them both right now, but if this Encounter is difficult or is going south, I can use either one.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:32 pm

Éogar looks at Torwin, something about the man seems familiar, but his thoughts are too focused on the situation that he faces in regard to his wife to worry much about it. At the mention of the Lady Esfled, he becomes impassioned. "You have seen the scum and they have my wife? Is she safe?" He looks at Torwin now knowing if he trusts him just yet.

"What reason do I have to believe you? You say you come on anther errand and yet you know the location of my Lady who has been kidnapped? And you have a request?" As he speaks, Éogar seems to be judging whether Torwin bears great news or whether he is entwined in the plot to capture Esfled.
Inspire Rolled:
Feat Die: 2*
Success Die: 5,1
Totaling: 8

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:59 am

Spend Hope (add 9, as it's favoured).
"We found them purely by chance, Lord Marshal. Fate guided us there, and has now guided me to you. My only request, my Lord, is that we do not kill these Dunlendings immediately; at least the man and woman who lead them - without first questioning and trying them. After they are tried, you may do whatever the law abides to bring them to justice. If my sword is needed by you to mete out justice, you have it at your command.

But if we charge in and kill them before we can question them, we will never know why they did it, or who they are working for (if anyone), and how even the mists seemed to work with them to further this cause.

Not only will you gain important information, but if we can surround their small band with overwhelming force, we can perhaps force them to surrender. If you lead a charge on this band in their wood, who knows what danger Lady Esfled shall face in the midst of a battle. Far safer for her if we set up a show of force so overwhelming they lay down arms."
I don't know if my descriptions there might be a Battle roll, as he is describing the layout, the goals of the skirmish, and a strategy to win; but if not, I'll instead invoke Grim; Torwin's nature will help the Marshal realize the danger of a charge toward a cornered enemy with his wife helpless and in the line of danger.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:55 am

Éogar listens to Torwin and as he does a look of recognition comes over his face. "We have met before, have we not? I'm sorry if I was overly suspicious. Come, we will leave immediately and you can lead us to the encampment. I will show no mercy, but if it is possible to gain information from them before we seek our revenge, I will. But if they have harmed her, then I would see them all dead."

He stands and issues a command to his men. Soon a party is formed and prepares to leave.

For Hereweald and Istril the night passes slowly as they await the dawn, wondering if Torwin will succeed and return with the marshal. They take turns keeping watch. None of the Dunlendings are seen near the forest edge. In the early morning hours before the dawn, Herewald begins to hear movement within the wood.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:32 pm

Hereweald wakes Istril with a light touch on the shoulder. "Shhh, movement in the woods. Come, something is afoot." He takes up his weapons and creeps forwards to see the camp and find out what is stirring in the woods.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Hereweald and Istril move quietly into the forest in the direction of the sound. It seems that the entire Dunlending camp is stirring by the noise of many people talking and moving around. Fortunately they seem intent upon what they are doing. They must have scouted about earlier and seen no sign of anyone in the area and are now less cautious than they should be. Moving closer still, the two companions are eventually able to lay eyes on the Dunlendings. They are obviously packing up and making ready to move. Perhaps this is how they have avoided capture up until now, moving camp every morning. Istril and Hereweald quickly realize that if Torwin does make it back with the aid of the Marshal, it will be sometime after the Dunlendings have moved on.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:56 am

"What do we do?" Istril asks in an urgent whisper.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:00 pm

"We confront them, we must delay them long enough for Torwin to return with aid. You stay here, keep and eye on the camp, and let Torwin know if we move."

He is a reckless sort, brave, and dedicated once he puts his mind to it. So now is that time. He uncorks his wine skin, half full still with wine from the last camp and pours some on his boots and chest, then takes a swig of it. He staggers out into the clearing, his voice rings out,

"...'Twas for her, the Maid of Dunland,
Time flew o'er me wing'd with joy;
'Twas for her, the cheering smile aye
Beam'd with rapture in my eye.
Not the tempest raving round me,
Lightning's flash or thunder's roll;
Not the mountain's rage could wound me,
While her image fill'd my soul.....

He stops half way to the camp in the clearing and looks at the men there as if shocked to see them swaying ever so slightly side to side.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:05 am

Before she can react, Hereweald is up, moving, and singing. Istril sits in her own silence, face in both palms, wondering what will happen next.