Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:02 pm

"Leave this fool, we must continue to follow!"

He has his weapons at the ready, and will pounce if he must, the rush of the chase pushing away the pain of his injuries, for now.
Where did the men that the others brought with them to help go?

Sorry I'm a touch out of touch.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:49 pm

They are right behind, we can assume they are there, or you can leave them behind if you guys want. Also, we should have a new player joining us soon.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:45 pm

"Yes," says Torwin. "Leave him. But I will tie him here; we can send one of the others to come free him later."

Torwin gets an extra bowstring and ties the Dunlending man's hands behind his back and around a small tree. Likely he could break out if he tried hard or had enough time, but this would at least keep the man from being a thorn in their side for a while.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:54 pm

The Dunlending is quickly secured to a tree. Some of Éogar's men state that they will watch the prisoner. You only hope that they will show some mercy to the fellow. For now though, you must race after Esfled and her captors. Caswelunand his people have moved in haste and in their rush have not covered their trail. it is easy to follow, it just takes time and strength to chase them down.

Time passes and the sun rolls on high overhead as you push yourselves hard as you might. After nearly an hour you begin to sense that you are nearing your goal. Soon, up ahead you can make out movement in the trees as the remaining band of raiders march the still bound Esfled through the wood.

You must choose how to proceed, charge in and attack or perhaps try to ambush the group.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:11 pm

"I think we should create an ambush," says Torwin to the others.

"With overwhelming surprise and threat we stand a better chance to protect Esfled, and leaving some alive to question them. If we charge in, they may all be killed, or worse of all, Esfled may be harmed. We cannot risk that. We must control the situation."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:14 am

"I agree with an ambush for both of your reasons stated," Istril says, nodding.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:19 pm

Okay, we will try an ambush. I will roll stealth for you all, great successes will assist other people. If you have any ideas before I roll, please post.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:44 pm

Hereweald and Torwin have 0 in Stealth. Torwin could possibly invoke Shadow-lore but somehow that's probably not relevant. I don't see other relevant traits for either PC. Istril has a 1 in Stealth, so a small chance.

Maybe the Marshall could set up the Ambush and then we the PCs could trigger the Encounter with the Dunlending leader? Just seems HIGHLY unlikely for us to succeed at 3 Stealth checks with 0, 0, and 1 rank in the skill . . .

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:37 pm

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Set up a situation to give you an advantage, use the Marshall's men to cause a distraction, Battle to plan a strategy, Hunting to set a trap? Just think outside the box and I will go with it if it seems convincing. Or else just roll and take your chances.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:45 pm

Ok cool - makes sense we might be able to try something different since we're not just trying to "sneak past the guards". I'll edit this post soon with what Torwin plans.