Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:47 pm

WB, is this an Encounter/do we need to roll Insight? No worries if not, just curious.
"Thank you, Thengel King." He bows to the King, then looking at the prince, straightens to his full height. "Théoden, it is good to meet you. I am Torwin, son of Ealdred, and these are my companions." On Torwin's face is a rare smile as he looks at the young man full of potential.
Invoke Tall. Not using this to Awe the King, so much as for Théoden...
Vardaen, Othniel, just mentioning this OOC, because I think our PCs would have a better knowledge of this:
In a courtly context Istril is probably best person to introduce the group, since she has Courtesy 2, Energetic and Merciful. Torwin has good Inspire and Song, as does Hereweald so that can be good as follow ups in an Encounter. Hereweald has True-Hearted which is a great trait if we need a success and aren't doing well.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:35 pm

This is an encounter, although not a typical one. The king knows each of you but want's to introduce you to Theoden. You do stand to gain favor in the kings eye through your responses.
Insight Rolls:
Torwin
SAURON
Success Die: 4,5
Totaling: 9

Istril
Feat Die: 9*
Success Die: 5,3
Totaling: 17, 1 bonus die

Hereweald
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: 2,4
Totaling: 16, 1 bonus die

Wulf?
Feat Die: 7*
Success Die: 1,1
Totaling: 9

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:51 pm

Hah! I'll invoke Ominous Blessing, gaining a temp. Shadow to turn the Failure into a G for an AP, and I'll pass the bonus die to Istril if she decides to tell the rest of our story (Courtesy? Persuade? etc?)

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:57 pm

"Westu Thengel hal!" Istril calls out in a clear, ringing voice. She bows respectfully before the king and rises with a cheerful smile for Theoden. "I am Istril, daughter of Nestedir and Idhressel. I hail from the port city of Pelargir in the land of Gondor, your friend and ally." She gestured to Torwin and Hereweald. "These are my companions - your loyal subjects - Torwin and Hearweald. There is strength in their arms and valour in their hearts."
I'll roll courtesy and add that bonus die from Torwin to start.

I don't remember Wulf, to be honest. o.o

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Hereweald waits for Istril to introduce them, but he is a Son of Rohan, and he is proud and true hearted, a man of action and of song. He does not let the foreign woman, no matter how much he respects her, speak for him in the presences of the king. "I am Hereweald, son of Hefric and Estron of the Westfold, slayer of the Boar of Leavesholt. Teller of tales, drinker of wine, eater of feasts!" He smiles widely at the king as he bows low. "I am honored beyond my station to be here among you and your family Thengel King." He waits to acknowledged then returns to his seat with the others
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:21 pm

Istril - Courtesy
Feat Die: 3*
Success Die: 1,2,5
Totaling: 11, fail unless you spend hope
Thengel nods approvingly at each of you as you introduce yourselves. He's glance pauses on Istril, as if not certain what to make of this woman of Gondor. A glance at his wife shows him that the queen is indeed impressed by the young woman who like herself has chosen to leave home and serve this king. He softens his glance and seems to see Istril in a new light. "Well met. It pleases me to welcome you to our table. Sit and and enjoy yourselves, especially you, great drinker of wine and eater of feasts," He smiles at Hereweald,"Them later perhaps you can tell us some of your tales."

With that, food is served and a great feast it is indeed.There is roast boar and venison, a hearty vegetable stew, and loaves of freshly baked bread. Cups are filled with wine, ale and meed. For a while the talk is light and jovial as people eat and drink and relax. Eventually, Thengel sits back in his chair and motions to gather everyone's attention to himself.

“Rarely our table sees such a gathering of warriors bonded by the same adventurous spirit, or who have seen so
much of the world. Théoden, my son, is there a question you would like to ask our guests?”

The young prince of the Riddermark thinks a moment, and then say, I would like to know what each of our guests believe about the qualities of a man of worth. Which virtue is most desirable?"

Morwen chides Théoden gently, "Théoden, our guests might might rightly think it impolite to instruct the Lord of the Mark on virtue, especially when seated at his table."

"Nonsense." replies Thengel, “No one is ever too wise to learn new wisdom, neither child nor king. Speak, friends, what hold you to be the greatest virtue in a man? Is it bravery maybe, or wisdom? Generosity, or truthfulness?”
So each of you choose a virtue, one listed by Thengel, or another. It can be linked to your characters traits or just what you feel your character might say. Once you have chosen your virtue, you will defend it to the prince while your companions debate you over the issue, the king and queen may interject as well. There will be an opposed roll to see who the "winner" is. Successes will count toward the encounter total. Failures will count against tolerance, however you won't find yourself being thrown out of the king's hall. In this case you are vying for the kings favor and trying to impress the royal family.

I hope that makes sense, ask questions if you don't understand.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:49 pm

Torwin nods at the King and turning to Théoden begins,

"Well spoken young prince. Your father raises a man who shall be a wise ruler after him." Torwin pauses and continues, his face all seriousness (but those who know him might see that rather than anger, Torwin was instead speaking in great earnest),

"There is only one virtue that, without it, a man's courage, wisdom, or generosity ultimately fall short: honor. My father was Ealdred, Doorwarden of Meduseld, as his father before him, and his father before him, up to the fourth generation. In all those years the King and his lords depended on the honor - the faithful, steadfast commitment - of the Doorwarden for the security of Meduseld.

Under King Fengel my father was sent away. In the coming days my father sought to find ways to prevent the spread of further mistrust among our leaders, but in doing so he aroused the wrath of the King, who punished him, sending him to walk the paths under the Dwimorberg, and to receive final judgment from the Oathbreakers, as it were. For if he never returned, it was said, he would belong with the Oathbreakers (being one himself), but if he returned he would pass the test, and receive justice.

Beyond all expectation my father returned. He was proven faithful. Even now Rohan has emerged through decades of unfaithfulness, where dishonor and strife were sown among its leaders and warriors. All have suffered and in those years it was dishonor, lack of faithfulness, that weakened us.

Now our King leads in honor, and once again I have hope for the future."

Looking at all in the eye, Torwin raises his voice,

"Remember Halifirien! Remember the Oath of Eorl! It was there that Rohan became a people, a true country. Every time we uphold our vows, we overcome the curse of faithless Men, who in the past always fell under the Shadow's sway, whose curse continues on, but which is overcome by honor. Remember the words of Eorl!"

As Torwin finishes, all those in the room are familiar with the words he speaks,
"There shall be friendship for ever: their enemies shall be our enemies, their need shall be our need, and whatsoever evil, or threat, or assault may come upon them we will aid them to the utmost end of our strength.This vow shall descend to my heirs, all such as may come after me in our new land, and let them keep it in faith unbroken, lest the Shadow fall upon them and they become accursed."

With that Torwin lifts his cup, his voice loud and strong, "To honor!"
Inspire 2 (favoured - definitely spend Hope/invoke Ominous Blessing if needed)

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:37 am

Torwin - Inspire
Feat Die: 8*
Success Die: 1,6t
Totaling: 15 with 1 success - Great success!
Young Théoden watches Torwin intently as he delivers his entreaty for the virtue of honor. It is easy to see how impressed the prince is by the words and demeanor of Torwin as he speaks. The King and Queen take note as well. "Thengel answers Torwin, "Yes honor ranks high among the virtues a great man must live by. Yet, beware my some, for there are always those jealous of honorable men. Rather than live by the same standards, they seek to sow doubt and dishonor on the lives of others. Nevertheless, Torwin is correct, a man who continues to live an honorable life will be seen for what he truly is, if he remains faithful to his honor."

"Very good, what say you other two? Is there a virtue more important than honor?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:24 pm

"Honor is a fine virtue, one that is hard to define however, and yet is easily manipulated by those without it. No, I say Honor is not the most important virtue of them all. Important yes, but not the most important."

He sits thinking, a goblet in his hand as he chews on some good bread and washes it down with a cup of wine. He holds the attention of others, doing nothing for a moment, waiting, causing people to look at him expectantly. He lifts his goblet, and makes as if to speak but takes a drink. Someone in the back of the hall finally shouts, "Well?!"

Hereweald smiles, "Patience."

There are a few who understand what he's just done and jib the man without it. "A hunter must have it when waiting for his prey. To sit and watch and wait and to know when the right moment is to take action is a virtue that not all can master. Like the hunter, a leader must also know patience, he must be able to watch his enemies and his allies, and to wait to act when the time is right. He can not brashly charge into battle all the time nor can he move against those that he suspects of plotting against him until there is proof."

He sips his wine, "Patience allows for allies to be made, like those Dunlendings who aided us in defeating the great Troll of the Grimgelad. Had we recklessly thought those men enemies, just because they were born on the wrong side of the River Isen, we would not have had the manpower to defeat that evil. Patience allowed that alliance."

You know the tale of Helm Hammerhand yes? A great King of Rohan who saved our people.... he then begins to tell the Tale of Hammerhand, from start to finish, a story that demands patience to listen to. He near the end.

"...Helm had a great horn, and soon it was marked that before he sallied forth he would blow a blast upon it that echoed in the Deep; and then so great a fear fell on his enemies that instead of gathering to take him or kill him they fled away down the Coomb.

One night men heard the horn blowing, but Helm did not return. In the morning there came a sun-gleam, the first for long days, and they saw a white figure standing still on the Dike, alone, for none of the Dunlendings dared come near. There stood Helm, dead as a stone, but his knees were unbent. He stood all night, patiently, holding the bridge alone, waiting, knowing what was to come, and showed no change of heart. That is perhaps the greatest example.

Yet men still say that the horn is still heard at times in the Deep and the wraith of Helm will walk among the foes of Rohan and kill men with fear."
Yeah, since I'm totally Reckless, going for the opposite, he realizes his flaw and that its a flaw.

Use my Old Songs of Virtue to tell the tale, spend Hope and Folk-Lore to tell the tale of Helm
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:30 am

"Both of my friends make excellent points," Istril began as she takes the floor. She glances from Torwin to Hereweald before focusing her gaze intently upon Theoden. "Both honour and patience are commendable and good virtues for anyone, particularly a ruler, to practice. But I believe that wisdom is more important, for it is wisdom that teaches what is honorable and when to be patient."

"Circumstances often determine whether a course of action is honourable or not. When you have defeated your foe, how do you know when it is honourable to give him mercy or when it is honourable to justly slay him? You must have wisdom to weigh the facts that the situation presents so that you may rightly decide."

"Similarly, patience is important, but there exist those moments in life when one must make a momentous decision with little time to deliberate. It is experience - that of yourself and that of others who may instruct you - that gives rise to wisdom."

"Though I have trained with bow and blade, my trade is in herb-lore and and the healing of hurts. The knowledge that I have is the result of a great many years' worth of cumulative wisdom in the treatment of illness and bodily injury. When a patient lays on the table before me, I do not always have the luxury of time to deliberate and exercise patience. There are times I must act! And I must act wisely to preserve a life."

"So too must a king act, for the decisions he makes, whether hastily or with great deliberation, determine the course of his people for good or ill, and he must choose wisely."
Inspire 3 if I can. Persuade 2 if I can't. I'll spend that second bonus success die if I can!