Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:27 am

Istril makes an effort to greet the other woman in the tongue of the Mark. She's been practicing, but doesn't have it down just yet.
Oh, thanks for the reminder! Yes, I haven't yet earned a Vocation AP, so I'd like to claim that as well.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:46 pm

"Trouble with those bloody Dunlendings again. Éogar's wife has been taken, The Marshall and his men are hunting for her and blood will be spilt when they find those who took her." Rynelda looks at you once more. "Please lend your aid to the Marshall. I go to seek help from the King."

With that she spurs her horse into action and swiftly rides away to the east.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:26 pm

Hereweald is silent, sizing up the woman, and reading her manner. "I guess we should make some haste. It seem we should hurry and hope to save Eogar's wife, a chance to make them amenable to us." He spurs his horse forward an gallops toward the Fords
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:49 pm

"Yes, we should ride at once," Istril urges the others. "We do not know why she was taken, but I do not trust these Dunlendings. Our initial interaction with them may have turned out to be a rarity."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:12 pm

You set off with a renewed purpose to reach Éogar as quickly as possible. It takes several more hours before you approach the Fords of Isen. As you draw within sight of the river, You notice a camp of riders has been set up on either bank. Green tents and horses are seen scattered on the side of the road as dozens of horse riders mill about making preparations for battle.

As you approach, you are hailed by a soldier. "Well met travelers. I suppose you have come at the call of Grimborn to aid the Marshall. Let's find you a place to make camp."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:39 pm

Hereweald takes a moment, "We come from King to lend our aid. Let it never be said the King does not care for his people nor know what transpires in his lands. Now, we shall aid Eogar and do what we can. Take us to the camp, and tell us the woes in detail." He dismounts and walks his horse who needs rest and water and a good rub down.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:59 pm

After Rynelda rides off, Torwin turns to his companions, "Let us hope that Imhar and his men have nothing to do with this. Though I do not trust the Dunlendings as a whole, there are those who are worthy among them," says Torwin, on hearing the awful news from Rynelda. "I am sure the King has no wish for open war on the western border, but I am more afraid that this is related to the disappearance of the women and children of the village near Brocdene, taken into the realm of the Wizard by those orcs."

-----

Once they arrive at the Fords Torwin listens as Hereweald answers the soldier; but once he has finished, asks, "As you bring us to our quarters in the camp, can you tell us where might we find Mildryd Shielding? We have a message to share, though it is not as urgent as the current circumstances."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:41 pm

The guard asks you to follow him as he leads you into the middle of the camp. Your horses are left in charge of a stable boy to be fed and cared for. As he takes you to show you a place where you can camp for the night, he talks to you of the recent events that have taken place.

"Who would have thought that the Dunlendings would be so foolish as to kidnap Esfled right out from under the nose of Éogar? Of course the Marshall is off hunting her down. A messenger came yesterday from the Marshall that Grimborn was to gather what army he could muster. We leave in two days to meet up with Éogar and bring a reckoning to the Dunlendings." He reaches a patch of ground that is fairly open. "You can pitch a tent here until we ride. Oh, Mildryd Shielding was with the Marshall and his wife when she was taken. I assume she has gone with the Marshall to track down those who captured Lady Esfled. That is all I know. Grimborn himself might know more, I've had my hands too full with organizing those who have gathered here to find out much more. I just hope that the Dunlendings aren't planning an attack. We will be ready,if they do though."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:18 pm

"Why would the Dunlendings do such a thing now? There has been recent peace with them, and we ourselves had interaction with some of their folk who were decent and kind hearted, if not a little uncivilized. I wonder what madness would drive them to kidnapping and open war with us. They know they can not stand against the might of Rohan and the Westfold. I fear there is some other evil driving them." He sets up the tent and camp for the company, tends to his horse, and gets himself something to eat. Once all that is finished he suggests the fellowship mingle with the other Rohirrim and find out more, test the waters and temperament of their kinfolk here.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:00 am

"That is the same question I have," says Torwin. "It does seem foolish for the Dunlendings to provoke this when the Second Marshal is so close, and in force. I wonder if it is a trap.

"We," he adds, looking at Hereweald and Istril, "must do some careful scouting; this kidnapping seems meant to provoke a response. We should try to get to the bottom of things before forces are committed."

Torwin helps them set up camp. Before they start a fire and dinner of some kind to get settled in for the evening, he asks his companions if they ought to find Grimborn.