Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:40 pm

Torwin begins an old children's song called The Rohirrim on the March. Usually the kids got into it, and would start marching around the yard grabbing sticks as play-spears or banners, drumming on anything they could find. Though it might seem foolish, it might make them seem safe to anyone, or help them find someone brave enough to talk to them.
Song 3

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Having spotted some locals, but shy ones Hereald decides this is close enough. He takes a seat on a stump and starts to sing. His voice is fair enough, he begins to sing a tale of bravery and courage. Of a young man who dared to not go out into the world but when trouble came to his home he stood tall and proud and he came to the rescue of those he loved that needed his aid. He hopes that might draw out a few curious or brave young lads.
Lets hit them with a Song Roll with Folk-Lore to make it more localized in telling
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:49 pm

Torwin and Hereweald find a place in sight and sound of a group of houses. You can almost feel the glare of the locals on you as you take a seat and begin to sing. It was only a few moments before that you saw the locals disappear into the building.

As it turns out, the sound of your voices mingles well and you are quickly enjoying yourselves for the mere act of singing in and of itself as you harmonize together. For a moment you forget even why you are singing, so engaged in the joy of the moment. Then from the corner of your eye you see movement as several small children cautiously approach. You continue to sing as they warm to your presence. By the time you finish, there is a group of 6 young children seated around you. A woman watches closely from her doorway to make certain the children are in no danger.
Song Roll
Rolled:
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: 6t,6t,4
Totaling: 26 with 2 successes
At the conclusion of the song, the children applaud and ask you to sing more.You give them another song and in doing so, earn their complete trust. Even the woman approaches. You ask of the passage of Éogar and his company and learn that a large group of Rohirrim passed this way a couple of days ago. You are given easy to follow directions to the Derne Wood which lies some distance to the south. If you push hard it takes but a day to reach the forest. You thank the children and the young woman and head south.

It is not a difficult journey and soon you see the foothills of the White mountains rising before you. As night falls you make camp and get a decent sleep without any interruption. Soon you are back on your road and within an hour you are glad to see tents of Rhohirrim make set up in a camp before you.

Riding up, you are pleased to find that this is indeed Éogar's men. Unfortunately Éogar is no longer among them having left on the previous morning in pursuit of his wife's captors. The men he has left behind number a dozen. All are Riders from Westfold, left on guard to watch over the possessions of the men that left in haste to pursue the kidnappers. All are also ill-tempered and tired and seem instantly suspicious as soon as they see you approaching.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 pm

"Well sung, my friends!" Istril praises Torwin and Hereweard. "Were I more fluent with your tongue, I would have gladly joined out, but I fear I would have marred your harmony."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:03 pm

Hereweald thanks the children and the woman, and Istril also. He is pleased to have the chance to put talents to use other than those of war.

...eventually the camp comes into view. He calls out in the native language of Rohan. "Hail Riders of Rohan, we are kinsmen and allies, sent by the King!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:44 pm

I assume the Song earns an AP? I added it to my sheet, but can remove if for some reason it's not supposed to.
Torwin thanks the woman for her help and nods to the children, appreciating them for their eager attention, then follows Hereweald as they continue on their road. "Thank you Istril; you shall soon know it well enough to join in," he replies.

-------------------

As they approach the camp Torwin begins sizing up the situation, looking for the man or woman left in charge, and seeing the state of affairs: were things in order? Were the men at-ready? Was this healthy suspicion or was something else going on? Mainly, he hoped they would be aided in being sent to Éogar, and in their desire to learn what was really behind the Dunlending raid.
Insight

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Yes, you definitely earn the AP

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:54 pm

As you approach the camp, it quickly becomes clear who is in charge. A burly man by the name of Ewyn greats you in a gruff voice. "Who might you be and what business brings you here?"

You explain that you are searching for Éogar and are willing to aid him in the search for his wife.

"Well, the Marshall and a group of men set off into the wood following the trail of the kidnappers yesterday. We haven't heard from him since. We are to guard this place and wait for reinforcements. If you wish to go after Éogar, be my guest, but I have no more information to help you." As he finishes you realize that there is no further information that Ewyn has to offer you, willingly or not.

It is easily apparent the path Éogar took into the wood. The tracks are clear enough that a child could read them. If you wish to pursue the raiders, it should not be much of a challenge to follow the tracks. The men here won't hinder you.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:20 pm

The hunter looks about, "I think we'll do that Ewyn, good man keeping the fort here for Eogar's return. If we miss him on his return can you let him know we were here at least?" Hereweald figures to rest the horses for a few minutes, get a drink, fix his boots, then to be off along the trail if the others agree.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:59 pm

Istril nods. "I see no reason not to carry on."