Character Creation

This is the OOC Forum for the Oaths of the Riddermark game.

Moderator: Wbweather

geomtje
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Warden

Re: Character Creation

Post by geomtje » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Being new to pbp, I would like to know if we should or should not read each other’s characters background? I am on the fence about this because the characters do not know each other. However, I would also like to start prepared.
J.J.R. Tolkien wrote:...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:56 pm

@geomtje This reward is allowed for any kind of spear. Since your weapon skill is (Spears) 2, Great Spear won't be a favoured weapon skill, but you can pick any kind of spear for your PC, and this reward works for any of them.

Cool that you created such a young character. I think we have a lot of interesting PCs in the group.

Hamarr
Level 3
Level 3
User Class: Slayer

Post by Hamarr » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:17 pm

We have an old character and a young character. Budding mentor/student relationship? Hmmm? @geomtje Bill said that he wants all the characters to have accomplished some important thing that would gain their recognition of the King. So it is reasonable that while our characters may have never met, they might of heard of each other. All but perhaps the Woman of Gondor. What part of Rohan did your character hail from?

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:29 pm

Some of the PCs should know one another. My PC is from Harrowdale (Dunharrow), but left there some time ago, so it's reasonable he may know some of the others. It's fine to read any background posted up there, and once we figure out which PCs know who already, then you can just suspend any knowledge you have as a player if your PC wouldn't know it.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:43 pm

Sorry, I was away for the last couple of days. I agree with everything others have said. Read the other players backgrounds. It's find for you to know them out of character. Your character may or may not have knowledge of particulars as you see fit and logic dictates.

litlfrog
Level 0
Level 0

Post by litlfrog » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:57 pm

I am having to bow out of this. Good game to all of you.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:30 pm

Ok, good luck with the other commitments. I understand.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:36 pm

OK, I think we have most everyone set up and ready to play. V will be offline for a month or so. I will try to get things started here in a few days. Let me know if you need anything before we get going.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Argh. Still trying to come up with a compelling reason of something my PC did for Thengel to have him invited...

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:09 pm

You won't need it immediately, I'm going to look over the first couple of adventures and see how I want to run them. Then try to get the game started so characters can interact a bit while we wait for V to return and really get going.