Character Creation

This is the OOC Forum for the Oaths of the Riddermark game.

Moderator: Wbweather

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Character Creation

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:41 pm

I'm having trouble ironing out the a couple details - I'd like to know if:
1) There are several people interested in using bows along with their primary weapon.
2) Anyone plans to take the "Leadership" calling and has an idea for a character that would make a natural leader due to their background story/character ideas

I can see my PC going a couple different directions, so want to kind of see what others are thinking.

HunterGreen
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Hunter

Post by HunterGreen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:30 pm

First draft of my character idea:
Name: Sangric ("song of victory")

Culture: Rider of Rohan     Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural Blessing: Fey Mood Background: Minstrel of the Golden Hall
Calling: Scholar            Shadow-weakness: Lure of secrets
Specialties: Story-telling, Minstrelsy, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive Features: Robust, True-hearted

Body: 5(6)    Heart: 5(8)   Wits: 4(6)
Awe 2         Inspire 2     Persuade 1
Athletics 3   Travel 2      Stealth  0
Awareness 1   Insight 2     Search   0
Explore 1     Healing 0     Hunting  1
Song 3        Courtesy 2    Riddle   1
Craft 1       Battle 2      Lore     2

Weapon Skills
(Spears): 2
Sword: 1
Dagger: 1

Rewards: 
Virtues: Old Songs and Children's Tales

Gear
Great Spear   dmg 9  edge 9    inj 16   enc 4
Short Sword   dmg 5  edge 10   inj 14   enc 1
Mail shirt    d3                        enc 12
Lyre
Ox-horn
Drum
Horse: sorrel mare, Arfáh

Valour    1     Wisdom   2
Damage    5     Ranged   5
Parry     4     Shield   0
Armor     3d    Headgear 0
Endurance 27    Fatigue  17
Hope      13    Shadow   0
Sangric's father Sangifu served as a minstrel in Fengel's court, then returned to his hometown of Aldburg to be Cenric's court minstrel, when his son Sangric was still a boy being raised to the trade. A fey mood took Sangric when, at the age of 15, he saw his younger sister Cynead badly injured in an otherwise unremarkable orc attack. He hung up the lyre and joined Cenric's éored, but after eight years, his love for story and song was reawakened when his father sang at Cynead's wedding. Cenric would not release him from service, so he practiced the minstrel's arts on his own until he was freed at the age of 30. He left Aldburg, glad to be away from Cenric, to travel to every town, village, and croft of the Mark and learn their songs and tales. A few years ago, he was in a small, unimportant market square in Edoras telling the tale of Círion and Hallas at Amon Anwar, when Thengel chanced to be passing nearby enough to overhear it. Intrigued by how Sangric depicted Gondor, he listened in secret. Impressed, he invited Sangric to spend several days in Meduseld telling tales, and learning from the court minstrel, before continuing on his journeys through the Mark.

Last edited by HunterGreen on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Join our Discord chat for TOR and AiME: https://discord.me/theonering

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:17 am

Here's what I've got so far:

Daughter of a prosperous trader from Pelargir (not 100% on her home town). She's been to Rohan before (maybe) with her father. Trained as a healer, and saved the life of someone in Thengel's following, so he invited her to Rohan to share her knowledge. She's a very out-of-doors person, and prefers to search for her own curatives in the wild. This alarmed her father, but he couldn't gainsay her, so he made sure she was trained with sword and bow so as to defend herself if others were not around. Her father secretly hopes she'll settle down with some noble or merchant lad from Rohan to build a bridge for further trading.
And the picture:

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:57 am

I fixed it so you all should have editing access on your character sheets. Sorry if I didn't have that turned on at first. I'm new to the LMing thing in PbP.

litlfrog
Level 0
Level 0

Post by litlfrog » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 pm

It's been a long time since I played in a forum game but I'd like to get in on this one. HunterGreen let me know about it in Discord.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Welcome. Feel free to discuss ideas and ask questions.

Taraborn
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Mercenary Soldier

Post by Taraborn » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Hiya, heard about it from HunterGreen and I'm currently going through the handbooks to get a gist of how it all works whilst coming up with character ideas.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:31 pm

I would note that most of you have pretty light armor. Normally this is good for non-mounted combat. Remember though that horses reduce your armor encumbrance and so as a mounted combatant, you can get away with heavier armor. A starting radhors gives you a -6 to your armor encumbrance (when mounted). Some of you might want to swap out your leather armor with mail, although that is entirely up to you. Horse riders can just get away with a 3-4 point difference between encumbrance and endurance where a non-mounted player should have a 9-10 point buffer.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Does my Gondorian start with a horse or no?

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 pm

Let's discus that. What is his background? Is there a good reason for him to have a horse? Is he a friend of Thengel? Would he have riding skills? Tel me more about him.