Character Creation

This is the OOC Forum for the Oaths of the Riddermark game.

Moderator: Wbweather

geomtje
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Warden

Re: Character Creation

Post by geomtje » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi all,

I found out about this game via the cubicle7fans forum and I would love to join your game. I must admit that I am new to pbp, but I do play this game ‘in real life’.

So if you are willing to have me, than I would like to play as Éodir, son of Éodas. An eager, but unexperienced young lad who tries to follow in the footsteps of his well acclaimed father. Focused on earning the respect of his father; Éodir feels that he has a lot to learn to make his father proud.

Éodir has a close bond with Brédor, his horse, whom has been born in the same year. Éodir often finds comfort in Brédor, when he feels that he has not lived up to his father reputation.

Éodir has recently chosen to learn how to use a spear on horseback with the kings guard; trying to impress his father.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Welcome aboard. I will send you a Character sheet on Google to fill out.

Hamarr
Level 3
Level 3
User Class: Slayer

Post by Hamarr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:55 pm

Hello all. I asked Bill if he still had room and he said it was alright. My basic concept for a character is a Leofring who has grown tied of living a life of Banditry. He has heard tales of a distant and noble kin who live away in the South. So he rides to The Golden Hall in hopes to prove himself a capable fighter and loyal servant. Calling Wanderer, and I can go towards any Role. Huntsman probably. I am thinking that we can use the same stats for regular Riders, but Ominous Blessing seems to fit for Leofrings as well. The Mail of Gondor doesn't fit, but perhaps it doesn't matter he would be a Rider by choice not Birth. So he could gain the mail at a later date. I already saw someone had ominous blessing so I may not start with that. Or have it at all.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:43 pm

It's not a huge problem to double up on Cultural Virtues or Rewards; given that there's going to be a lot of players, double up is inevitable. My PC is the one with that Virtue, but he would be totally different than your Leofring, as he is strongly influenced by Turin (though, his story and "curse" if you will, will be on a far smaller scale than Turin's). The only thing in common is leaving something behind - your PC leaving a life of banditry, wanting to prove himself a loyal servant, my PC trying to escape a curse or haunted past (or perhaps being framed), but having a grim/proud outlook on life.
Last edited by Blubbo_Baggins on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Okay, I think we are at 8 players now. Probably should close this off for anyone else. My experience is that some will drop (although I hope not).

Hamarr
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hamarr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:04 pm

My other idea was playing a Slayer of Wolves from the Wold. Kind of a backwater hunter type who makes his way to Edoras to serve the new King. This is mostly because I might want to take Horse Herd of the Riddermark at a future date, and if we agree that Leofrings would have the Ominous Blessing that would push me out of that option.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:55 pm

@wbweather

Do you think it would be good to create a new subforum here for people to post their sheet, background, and pictures (with no discussion in between). Basically a quick-reference for the PCs?

Taraborn
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Mercenary Soldier

Post by Taraborn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:55 pm

Ok so I have a good idea of my character now, so here is my Character Sheet as it stands, can you let me know what you think? He will probably be a scout or huntsman.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Ceorgrim was born and raised in a small homestead near Grimslade, and his mother Alfwine died a few years later giving birth to his younger brother Dernwine. His father, Grimhelm was a hunter for the homestead, and had many times taken up arms to raid Dunland during the reign of King Fengel, fighting with spear and shield. Both sons were raised to become hunters as well one day, and would often roam the plains near their villages in search of game. Dernwine was always the more talented with the bow, whereas Ceorgrim had always found the spear a more natural weapon to use.

During his eighteenth year, Ceorgrim suffered an injury during a hunt, breaking his leg and being carried back by his father and brother. He spent a time bed-ridden, and his father and brother went hunting without him. One day, they travelled out towards the West and never returned. Days passed until at last their bodies were found by men of the homestead, alongside clear marks of a Dunlending raid. With plenty of time barely able to leave his own bed, and then his home, Ceorgrim had a lot of time to stew, his temperament becoming more and more foul until at last he had recovered enough to leave. Taking up his fathers armour and weapons he departed from his homestead to travel the wilds to protect travellers from harm so no other family could be left like his.

In his twentieth year, he is roaming the area of Harrowdale, tracking brigands through the woods until he came upon them besetting a merchant on his way to Edoras. Fighting off the two criminals, Ceorgrim slew one and routed the other and let the merchant convince him to come with him to Edoras to protect him the rest of the way. On their arrival, the merchant tells the tale to many until it reaches the ears of King Thengel, who summons Ceorgrim to Meduseld to thank him.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 am

Istril, Woman of Gondor

Player Name: Othniel
Character Name: Istril
Race (Subrace): Human (Man of Minas Tirith)
Ht, Wt, Eyes, Hair: 5’9”, 140 lbs, grey eyes, dark auburn hair color.
Calling: Scholar
Background: Master of Healing

Description:

Physically, Istril is a typical representative of her people: Tall and lissome with dark hair (albeit a rarer shade of red), grey eyes, and a proud face. Istril’s skin is a sun-kissed tan, though she would still be considered fair when compared with Gondor’s neighbors. Her movements are quick but graceful, and when at rest (which is seldom) she seems tensed as a spring. Her scent carries the fragrance of a multitude of flowers and herbs mixed with the faint smells of several solution and poultice ingredients.

Istril differs from her people only in that she is far less grave than the Men of Minas Tirith and its lands are expected to be. Perhaps this comes from living in Pelargir, or from her years spent accompanying her father in his vessel, but Istril is a cheerful woman with near-boundless, infectious energy. Istril also has a particular knack for judging the character of those with whom she speaks. She intently watches the eyes of those speaking to gauge their motives.

She wears a leather corslet and carries a bow, longsword, and dagger; and while proficient with each, she has yet to use any of her implements of war for that purpose. Her bow alone she has used to slay the occasional dangerous beast.

History:

Istril was always a willful child, and that didn’t change as she grew. Born to Nestedir and Idhressel in the Gondorian city of Pelargir, Istril was raised in prosperity. The only daughter of a wealthy merchant, Istril wanted for nothing. Nothing, that is, save escape from a life planned without her approval.

Nestedir, her father, made his way a trader who traveled the ports of Gondor, buying and selling as he went and making quite a successful living at it. Now in his middle years, Nestedir is the owner of a small fleet of trading vessels, and prefers to remain at home in Pelargir where he sees to the running of his business. His wife, Idhressel, grew up the daughter of a weaver who sold cloth to Nestedir which he would then transport and sell again for a tidy profit. Familiarity blossomed into love, and shortly after the two were married, Istril was born.

Her father likes to say that as soon as she could walk, she would run, and Istril quickly grew into a vivacious young woman. She spent most of her time out-of-doors, and her mother early on abandoned hope of teaching her to weave. Istril preferred the woods and the fields far too much for that, and she spent more time in the company of young lads her age than young lasses. As she grew into an adult, her father nurtured her spirit of adventure, and allowed her to join him on his trading journeys throughout Gondor. After Nestedir’s business grew great enough, he retired from voyaging himself and hired others to do so for him while he stayed in Pelargir and handled larger trade deals. This left Istril seeking a purpose, and her mother suggested she apprentice to a healer. Idhressel felt a challenging vocation such as that would occupy her daughter’s active mind, and Istril had shown herself to have a keen eye and a steady hand.

Istril found success, though she was often scolded by her teacher, an aging woman named Maerwen who had moved to Pelargir from Lossarnach. Mistress Maerwen saw in Istril the potential to be a great healer, for the girl had an eye for the right herbs and could remember treatments for specific ailments after little practice. Maerwen taught her everything she knew, for the women of Lossarnach kept many rhymes of herb- and healing-lore that they passed on to their apprentices. One note of importance did Maerwen impress upon Istril: There is no replacement for the trained eye and a careful hand when seeking a healing herb, and she recommended that Istril learn to seek out these herbs herself in the wild.

She was, of course, was delighted at the prospect of traveling field and forest, although Istril’s parents were less so (they were, however, resigned to it by this point). Her father commissioned a set of gear suitable to the now-grown woman and required her to split her time between learning the art of healing and the art of defense, should she ever need the latter.

Istril has kept at her training and studies, though recently her life took a dramatic turn. Thengel, the heir to the throne of Rohan had been living in Lossarnach with his wife, Morwen, and one of his people happened to be traveling in Pelargir when he suffered a grievous injury. Maerwen was visiting relatives in Lossarnach (her cousin Morwen, in fact), which left Istril to tend to the injured man. Combining all that Maerwen had taught her with her own natural skill, Istril was able to save the man’s life, earning the gratitude of both patient and his master, Thengel.

When Thengel returned with his family to Rohan to take the throne, he issued an invitation to both Maerwen and Istril: Come and enjoy the hospitality of the king’s hall and exchange lore of healing and herbs with the lore-masters of Rohan. Maerwen by now considered herself too old to travel, and she was busy minding new apprentices, but she urged Istril to take the offer. Her parents, too, urged her to go and experience what the land of Gondor’s closest ally had to offer. Besides, her father suggested, perhaps it would take one of the Horselords to tame her heart.

Quirks or Behaviours:

When Istril lays her piercing gaze on others to search their expressions for their motives, such keen glances can alarm others. She has learned this, and attempts to guard herself against simple staring, but that does not always work the way she wishes.

In addition to a store of healing supplies, Istril also carries a copy of her teacher’s book on herb- and healing-lore, which she frequently adds notes to when the occasion presents itself. This is almost certainly the only time she remains quiet and still (save when asleep).

Istril is energetic, but this also gives her several neurotic tics: she has a tendency to chew her lip when thinking, and she often fidgets with her auburn tresses. In addition, she often mutters the rhymes of lore that she knows while trying to remember something as if it were a method to provoke mental recall.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1510142986

Hamarr
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hamarr » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:28 pm

We should post these in the Fellowship Thread.