Posts not comming trough

This is the OOC Forum for the Oaths of the Riddermark game.

Moderator: Wbweather

geomtje
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Warden

Posts not comming trough

Post by geomtje » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi guys,

I am checking the forum at least once a day, most of the time even more. Usually there are no new post for several days and then all a sudden there are multiple messages posted. Sometimes even so much that I have missed a certain part of the interaction.

When I look back at the time and date from when they are posted it seems that they should have popped up days ago, though they have not. Is this a know bug or is there anything else that I could do to no longer have this problem? I would really like to know, because I really like the story and where everything is going, but this problem is sucking the fun out of it.

Thanks in advance

Some additional info: I usually check the forum Chrome on my iOS device. When I check for posts I always check the story topic.
J.J.R. Tolkien wrote:...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Posts not comming trough

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:56 pm

@vardaen @shurijo Can you guys suggest anything?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Posts not comming trough

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:23 pm

I don't know personally, I'll mention this to Shurijo and see if he has ideas. I would set your theme maybe to AtWork, that has a lot less images and might work better on a phone. I know that the email notifications don't' really work, so don't use them, but if you are logging in and checking the threads but they aren't there maybe some sort of refresh setting, cookies, etc.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Posts not comming trough

Post by Shurijo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Do you mean via email? If you mean email, check your spam folder. It might be going in there. I still get the email updates on a new post.

Or that you can't see the posts? If you can't see the posts then your browser cache might be caching the site. You can use https://www.dicefellowship.org/ (HTTPS) and that will force the browser to not use its cache.

geomtje
Level 2
Level 2

Posts not comming trough

Post by geomtje » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:56 pm

So I usually have a tab open in Chrome on iOS and I refresh or reload the page. (I do not have email notifications on, but I'll do that as an extra measure.)

I see everything, but not the new posts. However, when I check the next morning (or evening), it turns out that I have missed several posts dating back from longer than I last checked.
J.J.R. Tolkien wrote:...so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

geomtje
Level 2
Level 2

Posts not comming trough

Post by geomtje » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:53 am

I have also noticed that the post that I have posted on my desktop didn't appear on my phone. Though it did post (I checked on my laptop). So anyone that knows of a good app that works well with this forum?

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Posts not comming trough

Post by Shurijo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:01 pm

I'd recommend trying to use the HTTPS protocol. It sounds like your having client side browser caching issues.

HunterGreen
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Hunter

Re: Posts not comming trough

Post by HunterGreen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 pm

The emails are touch and go, and I know they're not going into spam for me, they just don't get to my server about half the time -- particularly when there's a flood of posts all at once. Which is particularly tricky. When there's a few posts a day the emails nearly always arrive, but when there's a sudden flood of posts, I get nothing, and since sometimes there's no movement for a few days, even the silence isn't suspicious.

Incidentally, I'm going to be traveling for two weeks with little time spent on the Internet (going to see Tolkien sites in the southwest of England and to attend Oxonmoot) so I'm going to miss a whole bunch of stuff (even more than I'm already missing).
Join our Discord chat for TOR and AiME: https://discord.me/theonering

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:05 pm

@huntergreen That's awesome. I wish I could go to this exhibit: https://tolkien.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/
Are you planning to? Have a great trip.

Sorry about the updates, that happens to all of us (notifications not coming through).

HunterGreen
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Hunter

Post by HunterGreen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Oxonmoot actually gets a reserved after-hours block of time with exclusive access to it. But we're going to go back to the Bodleian afterwards to see other stuff too.
Join our Discord chat for TOR and AiME: https://discord.me/theonering