How to get involved in an online game?

This is the OOC Forum for the Oaths of the Riddermark game.

Moderator: Wbweather

SteveLampon
Level 0
Level 0

Post by SteveLampon » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:25 pm

:) Hello, I have been given the Core One Ring Book as gift, and I am about to start a ftf game soon, but I expect that will be fairly slow going. How does a completely new player (I have read the rules and learnt how to create a character) get involved in a game?

Many thanks

Steve

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi Steve,
Posting here is a good start! @Wbweather is the GM, so he can give you a better answer.
@Vardaen is also a GM for different One Ring games and can help you get started.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:02 pm

Welcome to the site, you can drop a post up in the Intro thread and people can chit chat with you.

viewforum.php?f=143

We have a Discord also, you can joing ot chat.

http://discord.me/fotd

Holidays, things are slow so if you don't see much action wait a few days we'll be back to normal soon.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:23 pm

I would suggest reading through what has been posted in the game to get a feel for how it is running and then come up with a character concept. If you need help, I'm sure people here and on Discord would be happy to help. If you are interested in this game, we can work you in when you are ready.

SteveLampon
Level 0
Level 0

Post by SteveLampon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:07 am

Hello, providing the character I have created fits with this game then I am ready. I only have the core book so my character is a Beorning. If he is not suitable for this Rohan game then perhaps I could join the 'Ruins of the North' game if there is still room? I have now played one ftf 'session' which I really enjoyed. I have read through the threads of both games.

Do you use the Discord app just for general chat? I do have it but not used it for a whil

Thanks

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:47 pm

This game is more of a Rohan centered game, so I think that it might be challenging to fit a Beorning in it.

SteveLampon
Level 0
Level 0

Post by SteveLampon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:53 pm

OK, so no room at the inn for a Beorning :) I can acquire the Rohan book and create a Rohan character, would that be OK?

Steve

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:27 pm

I think that would be best! We have 1 Gondorian as the wierdo in the game, so playing as a Rohan in the Rohan game makes sense.

I have 6 players in the Ruins of the North game, and they are Storywise in a hard place to enter new player characters. So I would say no room in that game. Eventually my Tales from Wilderland game will have a chance for a new player, and Beorning would be fine in that, but its a month or two away before they return to 'civilized' lands where we could intro a new character.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:36 pm

@stevelampon you could buy Horselords of Rohan.... or instead get the Adventurer's Companion. It includes ALL of the cultures made for the game so far.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:57 pm

I think the Adventurer's Companion might be a better early investment. Having a resource that contains a lot of cultures will open a lot of doors in terms of game openings rather than 1 specific culture book that might be more detailed, but limits your knowledge to just that one book.