Book 2, Act I: Songbird

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Re: Book 2, Act I: Songbird

Post by Bohemond » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:27 pm

Bala walks with the Baroness as the next stage of festivities is announced. Being neither a skilled rider nor lancer, the Vudrani decides that Trucco may be more suited to the monk's disposition. "Are you participating in the tournament, Baroness?" Bala asks. "I imagine there would be few competitors who'd enjoy tilting against you."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:14 am

The various powers-that-be exit the Palace onto the prepared grounds. The champions of the lance go to get suited up in their jousting armor, and to prepare their mounts. The competitive amongst the gentler nobility move the the trucco field, and the rest just spread out to enjoy time to continue their discussions, debates, and possibly nefarious plots.
Named participants in the Joust: Baron Nikolaus Okerra, Lord Titus Lotheed-Cassava
Named participants in Trucco: Dame Parthena Crabbe, Earl Yander Merkondus
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:34 pm

After retrieving her gear, Emilia goes to Okerra. "If I may, my lord, I came to wish you good luck in the tournament. If the gods are kind, it would be an honor to face you myself, and I hope I earn that chance." Then she remarks on his horse's coat, assuming it is well-groomed.
Influence Okerra. Weakness - Handle Animal.

Maybe if one of us can throw one of the Lotheeds off of their mounts, it'll humiliate Barelby by proxy.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:40 pm

It was worth a try, Mercutio thinks to himself afterwards, besides, any woman would look lovely after enduring Dame Parthena. Were he paranoid, he might think of Lucretzia as a little too reserved, but a good agent would be more active.

He briefly considers to enter the Trucco competition, but ultimately decides against it. Waving it off with a self-depreciating wink and flippant comment about leaving the others a sporting chance to win should anyone ask.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:11 am

Emilia honorably greets her Liege Lord, hoping that she will have the opportunity to meet him on the jousting field. While she may have received some instructions from the Baron or some friendly sparring, she has never met him in a formal joust.

The Dame's first joust is with a man-at-arms of Count Bartelby, a competent warrior but not a knight. On their pass she is clearly the better mounted warrior as she expertly sets up her approach along the list. She hits dead-center on his shield while his lance glances off instead. He sways in his saddle but manages to keep his saddle.
Emilia - Influence Check (Handle Animal) = 21, Success. 1 Influence Success on Baron Okerra.

Emilia - Jousting Round 1 of 5 vs unnamed NPC
--- Contested Ride Check: Emilia 22 vs NPC 17, Emilia wins. Gain +2 on Attack Roll.
--- Attack Rolls: Emilia 27 (Hit) and NPC 15 (Misses Emilia)
----- Damage: Lance for 10 Damage. NPC Ride Check 13, so not Unseated
Emilia gains 1 point in the Joust
Mercutio and Bala ...
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:04 pm

Bala continues his talk with the Baroness, assuming she is still willing to engage the monk in conversation. "Jousts are not common on Jalmeray. But I suppose it is given the nature of our geography. An island is generally a poor proving ground to develop cavalry. My people are much more inclined towards naval pursuits..." The Vudrani will try to engage the Baroness in a discussion of Vudrani and Taldoran maritime histories, before turning the conversation to Vudrani seafood if need be.
Action: Roll to influence Baroness Voinum.

Bala was considering trying his luck in a game of Trucco, but I don't think Dame Crabbe is inclined towards plain-dressed monks. :lol:

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:24 am

Bala does his best, and almost seems to pry loose the tight grip that the Baroness has on her favor and affections, but the distraction of the Joust takes just a little too much of her attention. While she does participate in the discussion, asking some general questions on their different naval histories, it is only professional and detached rather than engaged.

End of Tournament Round 1 - Start Round 2
Bala - Influence Check (Diplomacy) vs. Baroness Voinum = 16 (roll) + 6 (skill) + 4 (known Weakness) = 26, Failure!
- 29 succeeded last time, so her DC for Diplomacy is somewhere between 27-29.
- Note that Sense Motive checks can be made to try to find easier Influence Checks Skills for people. Diplomacy/Intimidate are usually the highest DC they have.

Going to keep things moving. Didn't see a clear action for Mercutio, so no significant actions besides continuing to be friendly as the Betony Heir.

To keep things simple, the Tournament will last 3 total Social Rounds. Just finished Round 1. For Emilia the Tournament speeds up and now there are 2 Jousts per Round. So Socializing is possible, but will be at a small penalty. Round 3 will be the semi-finals and finals, so Socializing will have a significant penalty.
- In the Book anyone in the Tournament wasn't supposed to get any Social Round actions, but I think that's boring so want to let you always try to do something.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:58 am

As if noticing the crowd for the first time, Emilia rides to the stands and greets a few people, one of them Lady Voinum. She asks if she met her brother in the Phalanx, and pries for confirmation of the claims in the letters he's written her about his tours, steering toward a topic touching on military history if it presents.
Rushing to Bala's aid before I go back to thumping opponents! Ok. So, if the above qualifies as touching on national history, I want to target that weakness w/ Influence. If not, Sense Motive for Skills instead. (which will be a coin toss)

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:00 am

Seeing that the Baroness is keen to witness the joust, Bala opts for a different approach. He casually shifts his questioning to riding, gradually leaving the questions more open-ended to hopefully lead him towards what would interest the knight.
Use Sense Motive to determine what rolls would be ideal for Influence checks on the Baroness

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:59 pm

If anyone know Mercutio by reputation, likely only a few, they would hardly be surprised by a somewhat flirtatious attitude, though he was pretty much a totally unknown factor beyond being the life at parties and the envy of such companions without the boldness and determination to keep on flirting until he found a girl that was interested enough to maybe regret certain indecencies once waking in the morning.

He of course, had a bit of a newfound drive, although perhaps mostly for wooing his newfound patron lady...or the empress herself, either option requiring the empress to actually win. Either option might be no more than another passing fancy, but far more elaborate than anything he had pursued before, but it had never been in his nature to contemplate on such things, merely simply doing things which advances him towards whatever he desired or occasionally needed.

Right now, he decides on a whim that making a good impression on Bartleby might be useful, however much of a bore that man sounded based on the briefings, but apparently the man could be intrigued by a little bit of magic, and Mercutio had such a performance in the repertoire, working the room and mingling, concealing his intent to socialize with his mark, the opportune moment is to find a lady of pleasing enough appearance that a young man might be intrigued, perhaps even attempt to impress her with a little bit of magic, just flashy enough to make Bartleby take note of his talents before Mercutio wanders into the man's circle as he moves around to make introductions.

And then it's all about pretending to not find the man boring, but finding his weaknesses, or creating some by befriending an enemy that knows not that he is one...well, that's quite interesting, is it not?
So full on, impress Bartleby in the hopes that Mercutio at some later date can use their relationship to backstab him or something