Book 2, Act I: Songbird

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Book 2, Act I: Songbird

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:26 pm

Voinum turns her nose up at the charioteer show, her apathy towards social conversations still stronger than a desire to pay attention to the event. Emilia observes that when a servant came up to take an order for drinks, he opened with a shallow flattering comment, and then blanches at her venomous gaze in response.
Emilia: Sense Motive vs Legate Voinum: 16+7 = 23, Success.
- Strength: Adella sees flattery as shallow pandering. (so any use of it in influencing attempts would penalize you.
Bala finds the Earl to be a incorrigible rumormonger, asking just about everyone where they stand on the 'recent unpleasantness', i.e. the brewing civil war. Most people shy away from such direct questions, although some will weigh in. Bala discovers that the man is in the County just for the Jubilee, and will be traveling back to his distant home in the morning.
Bala: Sense Motive vs Earl Merkondus: 9+9 = 18, Success.
- Merkondus is a wealthy merchant from Moda who fancies himself a politico, and presses everyone around him for information on their loyalties in the "recent unpleasantness". He can stay only for the first day of the Jubilee, and will be departing on the second morning before breakfast. (He thus cannot be Influenced, as he is literally going to his home outside the County after today)
Mercutio moves about the group, joining in the festivities. His throwing arm is pretty accurate, the brightly colored powder bursting out with each throw. He nudges those next to him into idle conversation, seeing if he can pick out anything that might tie back to the Count. He seems to be running dry on that well, but does pick up on a rumor that he might have deliberately blocked a pump house feeding a spur of a river. But the nobles get blamed for just about anything, so it might literally just be an overgrowth of weeds.
Mercutio: Diplomacy for Gather Info: 8+16 = 24, Success.
- Rumor #3: "The pump house feeding the Stachys Spur has been blocked for years—abandoned and haunted, they say. Blocked deliberately, is what I say.” (area C on the main map, north of your Betony Estate)
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:34 pm

Dancing and Cards

The evening concludes with dancing and several rounds of a card game known as Last Azlant. The dining tables are cleared to one side for those wishing to game, while the rest of the ballroom is now open for the dancing. The musicians begin a dizzying tune, encouraging energetic interaction instead of slower, romantic fare.
Dancing and Cards will last for 2 Social Rounds, and then Day 1 is at an end and you will be shown to your rooms to rest.
After the first dance, an attractive woman in her late forties arrives at the party. Either through knowledge of noble lines or simply overhearing commentary, the party learns that the newcomer is Duchess Veleto Lotheed, Count Bartelby's aunt and the absentee Duke Lotheed's wife. After a few moments of genuine surprise among those at the gathering, she formally introduces herself. She extends a flirtatious eye to any particularly attractive men in the gathering, but waits for someone to approach her rather than go to them.
All: You each either made a successful Knowledge (Nobility) or Perception check, to recognize her.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:39 pm

Emilia is not very keen on going back to her room to laboriously doff her armor and leave her sword for a formal gown. Neither is she particularly talented or skilled at cards. Thinking back to what Onora had told her about the unrest and her claim to importance among the population, perhaps they have her ear on grievances against the Count? Emilia finds Onora again and invites her to a friendly match of Last Azlant at an empty table. Regardless of whether she accepts, Emilia uses the recent attempt on Bartleby's life to segue into what she told her about the people feeling hung out to dry, trying to get her tongue wagging, listening for neglects and trespasses that could be bad enough to drive a man to murder.
If Onora is already Friendly, I'll hold Round 1 for a different action.

Slipped in a turn-of-phrase for Weakness.
Round 1: Influence Onora to Friendly.
Round 2: Diplomacy to learn secrets, looking for dirt on the Lotheed family.

I rethought possibly getting on the dance floor for any character-related or mechanical reason. Emilia does not have time for that.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:13 pm

Dancing or cards? Now that is the question, Mercutio mostly concerns himself with the former, taking a pause to play at the tables until his "luck" runs out, although should he rack up a winning streak, enough for people to be just a little awed, he will abruptly stop playing to everyone's surprise in order to add to the gossip. "Now there is a trap for me" He murmurs at the sight of the Duchess. "But must not seem to eager". He waits until several others have approached or had the chance, before he himself makes the move, not showing too much interest while approaching, as if to make it seem more like a greet and mingle, but making just enough extra eye contact to catch the interest she has been advertising.

If he could get in an introduction to Bartleby sometime during the eve, that would be nice, too.
So methinks shotgun persuasion influencing of Bartleby and his aunt

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:10 pm

As the musicians strike up a tune, Bala of Jalmeray takes to the dance floor. He waits to see if the dances are solo or partnered, making sure to take note of the time and tempo of the song.
Bala is going to dance, if he has to partner up, he'll go for Sepsinia Crabbe.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:41 am

Emilia uses her keen insight to approach Tribune Onora about complaints about Bartelby's reign. She has already shown her dislike of nobility in general, and the condition of her town in particular, so having a glowing opinion of the Count would have been strange. However, Emilia was still surprised by the level of rancor that the other woman holds towards the Lotheeds. She despises him in particular.
Going to speed things up, so if you declared 1 Action, you doubled it.

Emilia: Onora is 'Indifferent', so going with your Influence attempt on Round 1.
- Round 1: Influence Check (Diplomacy) vs Onora: 9 (roll) + 12 (skill) + 4 (weakness used) = 23, Success. Onora is now 1/4 of the way from Indifferent to Friendly.
- Round 2: Trying to dig up dirt on Bartelby. Going to make it the most useful I can. Discovery Check (Diplomacy) vs Onora: 6 (roll) + 12 (skill) = 18, Success. You discover one of her 'Strengths'. Strengths are the opposite of Weaknesses, in that if you try to use a Strength to Influence (usually in ignorance), you have a penalty on your roll.
--- Onora has a quiet hatred for Count Bartelby and is especially cold to anyone who tries to use his name or influence to persuade her.
Surprising literally anybody who looks on, the foreigner monk not only approaches Sepsinia for a dance, he sweeps her gracefully on to the dance floor. He is unfailingly polite, not going for a grab of anything delicate. He competently moves through the steps with poise and confidence, although it appears this dance is one not done in Jalmeray. But he is an exceedingly quick learner, and their second dance together is done in a superior fashion to even the locals, and the young maiden gets to be the most envied woman of the moment. Dame Parthena can be seen gossiping behind fans with friends, staring intently at Bala.
Bala: Perform (Dance - you have this trained!!!) vs Sepsinia:
- Round 1 = 9 (roll) + 10 (skill) = 19, Success.
- Round 2 = 19 (roll) + 10 (skill) = 29, Critical Success! Damn, son.
--- 3 total Successes to Influence her mother, Parthena. As she has already been previously Influenced, this cumulatively has raised her Attitude from Indifferent to Friendly! The only thing better than this is Helpful. (Sepsinia herself does not come 'out of her shell', so you don't know her opinion of you)
Mercutio has a more confusing experience. Being a very attractive young man, he catches the eye of Duchess Veleto. He is patient and subtle, not rushing up to speak with her as others did. He waits for the gadflies to disperse, then sidle up to her for a private conversation. The dashing dandy draws her into lovely conversation, and at her request into a quiet dance. She a little vague in her mannerisms, but is clearly taken by Mercutio. While looking into his eyes, she describes the room she most frequents in the western wing, bringing to his imagination alternating bookshelves and paintings lining the walls in a large, warm space. Warm colors, plush carpeting, and overstuffed furniture all combine to paint an image of comfort. She begins hinting not too subtly that she would welcome Mercutio the join her for a more ... intimate conversation.

Before he can give a yay or nay, Count Bartelby furiously storms over, taking her firmly by the elbow and moving her off the dance floor, handing her off to a guard to take back to her rooms. He insist his Aunt is "aging and easily confused, and shouldn't be taken advantage of". The bard does his best to smooth over the situation, but whatever choice of words he goes with just seems to dig him deeper and deeper. Then he makes the fatal mistake of claiming innocence about her invitation to her chambers, and the Count nearly bursts a blood vessel. The younger man sees the Count nearly go for his sword, before controlling himself, and coldly walking away before he does something rash he might regret later.
Mercutio:
- Round 1 (conversation with Veleto): 19 (roll) + 12 (Bluff) = 31, Critical Success.
- You have part of the Palace unveiled (western portion of the ground floor). She is usually in H32 (Royal Sitting Room).
- Round 2 (conversation with Count Bartelby): Natural 1! Critical Failure.
-> So, Mercutio has stepped badly (in ignorance) by so well ingratiating himself to his Aunt. And then critically failing his conversation with Bartelby. Consequences are the Influence Points were lost, and Bartelby is back to 'Indifferent'. ... and Mercutio cannot himself successfully Influence Bartelby for the remainder of the Jubilee. :(

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:51 am

At the conclusion of dancing and cards, the guests are invited to retire to their prepared rooms on the grounds. The servants wait patiently for everyone to clear the ballroom before going about their clearing and cleaning that must be done to prepare for tomorrow. No rest for them. But for the nobility, their quarters are comfortable enough.

-----

During the evening, each of the party is disturbed by horrible dreams. Mercutio's gift for gab fails him, and he is trapped in an endless party where he is embarrassed or insulted worse and worse, each failure plunging him deeper into a social hell. Bala is trapped in a prison of his own flesh, leprosy swiftly eating away at his face, hands, and feet. He soon loses all of his grace and poise, and eventually his tongue rotting out of his mouth so he cannot communicate. Emilia has her pride dashed to the ground. She has performed some terrible betrayal of her Lord, one she cannot remember no matter how hard she tries. She is stripped of rank and privilege, her friends at best spit on her on sight, or at worse draw arms to drive her away. She is trusted by no one wherever she goes, wearing her shame as if a cloak.

-----

In contrast to the terrors of the night, the new day dawns bright and cheerful. The servants come and wake everyone, giving them time to clean, dress, and prepare for breakfast.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:19 pm

Despair paralyzes Emilia, which serves as her transition back to the waking world. She takes a few calming breaths, shakes her head to herself, and prepares for the day. The lancer forgoes the armor today to mingle with her peers like a proper guest should, and therefore runs into the rest of the party sooner than she would have otherwise, with her sword belted on over the dress.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:41 pm

Bartleby's curse? But he was impressed by magic rather than possessing any talent, was it?

Or his aunt for Mercutio to not have stretched his luck by making her a visit in the night, but he had been wise enough to settle for a pass at one of the serving girls on his way out....one of the older tricks of asking for some help finding the way to his room, make some flirtatious quips along the way and then some comment about maybe helping find something so silly that the propositioning was obvious.

Either way, he almost felt like starting early on the drinking this morning, but settled for more prudent fare instead as he broods over breakfast.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Tue May 02, 2023 12:49 am

Bala thinks on his dream as he prepares himself. He seeks to approach the matter with poise and meditation. Perhaps self-doubt? Do I feel like I set the bar too high for myself? Is it feeling out of place surrounded by nobles who sheath themselves in silk and tempered steel? As the previous day, the Vudrani wears colorful and well-made but simple clothing, dressing himself with an almost ritualistic focus before joining the other guests for breakfast.