Book 1: Crownfall, Act 1: All The King's Men

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Book 1: Crownfall, Act 1: All The King's Men

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:24 pm

Crichton rises, dusting himself off and putting his clothes into the best order they can be made to assume. Nobody here will dance with a vagabond, no matter how good his Sarabande may be.

The Grand Prince is somehow spectacular and disappointing at the same time. Hearty, wealthy, powerful, but just a man. Crichton notes the bobbing of Stavian's Adam's apple and contemplates that even the rarefied heights of society need valets.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:07 pm

"Splendid!" Mercutio grins at his cousin once the commotion has died down and everyone's attentions are elsewhere. "A fine gift for the lady, I will be needing to return the little clockwork toy, but I am sure she can be amenable to let you have a closer look on her creation sometimes later." Now, given the impending misfortune descending upon those stuffy stick up their hindquarter folks up the family tree, there must be some scheming Vernisant of ambition ready to pounce. But who?
So I'm either thinking Knowledge (Nobility) (+11, + whatever bonus inside information for being a Vernisant might be) or a Diplomacy (+9), either to see if Mercutio knows who might be inclined to see a certain family member's misfortune as their own opportunity, or if he does not, ask around. (Without letting on that he knows that misfortune is on the way). Preferably someone willing to take his family to the side of the Princess, or amenable to being persuaded to that end.

If making no progress or succeeding with time to spare before dinner, finding some pretty thing to flirt with is probably the old habit he'll be reverting to.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:16 pm

Theodrix smiles, "Perhaps your grace some time the two of use might have a little tussle of blade. I would enjoy very much seeing your blade in action, it seems a sharp as your wit and twice as graceful as your beauty." When the horns are sounded and the Grand Prince is due to arrive he steps back and gives a wry little smile, not a flirt, not a fawning point of admiration, but one of strength, of pure cocky machismo.

Then before the Queen can leave he slips off himself, leaving her wanting more.
Intimidate! Flex flex, he's a real man, not some courtly fop! Use my Social Grace (Intimidate option for +4!) =

+16 Intimidate Skill!
Then he heads off to find the others and get a view of the Grand Prince to see what's next
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:40 pm

After the fight is over and the attackers end up looking like bullies, Aurelia goes over to help Crichton up. She herself was not touched in this whole affair. "My humblest thanks for your assistance. I think we've succeeded in our task beyond measure."

She looks at the retreating thugs. "I doubt they'll attack you again, but you may wish to seek medical attention anyways just in case they decide to come back for round 2 later. All of this actually remind me...it's always good to have physically-imposing and able ally. If you need me, I'll be chatting with a northman landgrave I saw earlier. One Ogvai Jarlbjorn. I know a little about him, and he would be a good friend to have indeed..."

With that, the enchantress walks off to the area where she last saw the Landgrave, fixing her dress (barely) on the way. If she locates Jarlbjorn, she will walk confidently up to him and get straight to the point. "Greetings, Landgrave Jarlbjorn. I am Aurelia Demetrias, and I would like to propose a cooperative relationship between us. You and I have similar attitudes towards the issue of the day, regarding the rights and role of women in society, and I also know how much you dislike the senate and the politicking. I offer you my services, to help you with or perform for you the more subtle and boring parts of politics. In return, I hope you can be a reliable ally politically in mattesr we agree on, and that also you will be willing to send martial aid my way if the enemy of our common causes decide to attack me physically. What say you?"

She crosses her arms in a way to make her cleavage squeeze together and out even more. "Oh, and I find you *very* handsome. Regardless of our alliance, I think can and should have a lot of fun together. There are some quiet side rooms I know of..."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:25 am

Bertrand makes his way over to Martella. "If you need an aide, I could be of assistance."
Let the others talk to the highborn, help Martella with this mission.
"Aide: In addition to spies, Martella legitimately needs a senatorial aide as both a cover for her other false aides and to run communications between allies politicians. This is by far the easiest job available, but also the most time-consuming, requiring someone to run messages between various politicians. Navigating the crowded senate floor to deliver messages quickly requires a successful Escape Artist or combat maneuver check (various Feats or Traits may make this easier). It is likely that there would be at least four missives to deliver between various individuals. If this agent successfully delivers all this paperwork, he succeeds at his mission."

Use my extra speed +10ft and agile feet (up to 6 times per day) from my Travel Domain, and use intimidate (with stern gaze) to get anyone else out of my way.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:24 am

The Princess' smile widens perceptibly at the manly cockiness, then finalizes her goodbye by heading off with the Ulfen Guard and her father. Theodrix is left having made a positive impression.

The Vernissant cousin volunteers to return the ill-gotten goods and the borrowed trinket to your Patron. Especially after having heard about her invitation to meet the love-struck man. Mercutio has the leisure to consider his next actions. Having ranged around most of the Senate Building, a few individuals have caught his eye as potential people to speak with. Besides random hotties, of course.

Countess Abrielle Pace has been spoken to briefly by some of the team, and she is clearly an opportunist, one who follows whatever path benefits her the most. If a line could be drawn showing her rising fortune correlating with the waning glory of the Vernissant family, she would be an easy ally to secure. A fickle one, but it's something. Landgrave Ogvai Jarlbjorn may be another, although that may be simply from his dislike of the politicking and infighting of the noble families, while he and his little collection of frontier hamlets are ignored and suffer. Whatever the latest fashions are means little when frost giants are invading. Lastly is Marquess Charlotte Deschamps. Mercutio doesn't know much about her political leanings, but her story has some correlations to his own. She is a black sheep in the noble community, having been not just a commoner, but adopted into a disgrace House. She has made an independently glorious name for herself in the Pathfinder Society, with few supporting her.

Aurelia and Crichton dust off after the little scuffle. Crichton considers the nature and weight of leadership, feeling his own aches and pains. As he gazes around he does catch sight of a familiar Oracle traveling around performing religious blessings. He doesn't know her by name, but he does know she is a devotee of Irori, and is a discreet confidant. He can likely get magically bandaged up without a big deal being made of it.

Aurelia thanks Crichton for his aid, and then heads off to the front entrance of the Senate Building to corner a certain Landgrave, Ogvai Jarlbjorn. Her direct and detailed charm offensive catch the young man completely off guard. Aurelia thinks he would have been more composed if a bugbear materialized out of nowhere and tries to gnaw off his left arm. "Ah, well, um ... thank you for the compliment, Lady Demetrias." He tries out a bow to salvage the situation. "You seem to know more about me than I thought was obvious. Perhaps you could share more about yourself first? Before I jump into bed with you." He pauses, then slightly panics. "Politically, I mean. Politically. Right." He backs up a bit, although a stone pillar stops his progress.
Bertram is dedicated to finishing off every last task set before them. A true Completionist. First Martella tasks him with delivering a sealed letter to a minor Count, Orlundo Zespire, in the archives. He then has a follow-up message for delivery to Junior Senator Duo in the gallery. Letters then go back and forth between Martella and Lady Glorianna Morilla, who then also needs a 'borrowed' file returned to the Archives. Once that is done, it seems like the flurry of letters, missives, and files are complete.
Theodrix Intimidate Check (looking manly!): 14 + 16 = 30!!! Oh yeah, you made a manly impression. :D

Mercutio: Knowledge (Nobility): 15 + 11 = 26. You identify the following who would likely see political gain in the Vernissant family hitting significant misfortune:
- Countess Abrielle Pace (interacted with some in the past by the group, comes off as an opportunist)
- Landgrave Ogvai Jarlbjorn (Aurelia just approached for the first time, he's known for not liking the politics of the nobility while the frontier is ignored and suffers)
- Marquess Charlotte Deschamps (black sheep herself being a commoner adopted into a disgraces noble house, she would likely feel a kinship to Mercutio)

Crichton: Making a Knowledge (Local) check for you: 19 + 6 = 25. You successfully identify an Oracle of Irori that is known for discretion. You can get fully healed if you want, no charge.

Aurelia: Wow. Go direct Charm Offensive. Poor guy.

Bertram: Normally this Mission can take up to 6(!) Social Rounds. But some of the interactions you've already fallen in making. Let's look at some Rolls. Intimidate: 10 + 7 = 17. Nice. I'll use 4 of your daily uses of the Travel Domain power. You can finish the whole series of missives in 2 Social Rounds (just in time for Dinner to start).
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:16 pm

Crichton approaches the Oracle with a diffident and embarrassed posture.

"Madam, I beg your aid. I've come out second-best in a tussle, and hope that your healing might prevent me from showing my bruises over Dinner."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:01 pm

Theodrix spots one of the others, there is Crichton, he looks beat up. Striding up to the man he quips, "Well, what did I miss?" He has a wide smile on his own face and is walking with a bit of a strut. "Here I was thinking it was hard work flirting with the queen, but you my friend look like someone took a club to your face, I can't tell if its an improvement or not." He chuckles.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:45 pm

Mercutio sets out to make the acquaintance of Charlotte Deschamps, Abriella Pace is too much of an opportunist for his taste, much like himself, untrustworthy. Better to work with those more likely to use such information to further the right side than just their own.

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:51 am

The enchantress can't help herself. She puts her lightly-clenched hand right below her lips, and lets off a small, light-hearted giggle as this man backs up clumsily into a stone pillar. This man that dwarfs her physically and could without a doubt break her in half with his hands. This mighty landgrave seems to be scared of this relatively small woman. Granted, Aurelia is rather...aggressively dressed (or undressed), but the situation amuses Aurelia nonetheless.

"Ogvai...may I call you Ogvai?" Aurelia asks, moving the social dynamic forward. "Than you thought as obvious? Well, your various areas of charm are VERY obvious. That's one of the things you and I have in common. We like to be upfront about what our strengths are..." She strides forward confidently and gently wraps her arms against his left arm, pressing her body against him.

"As for myself, I was born in Taldor, but left for schooling in Andoran. Magical schooling, in fact. And now, I'm back. I want to live in a country where women can get a fair shake, and I'm here looking for patronage." She performs a minor demonstration, flaring up just enough magical energy to create a dimly glowing, humanoid shape. It lasts for only a few seconds before the enchantress dismisses it and resumes rubbing her upper body against Ogvai Jarlbjorn's arm. "What do you say? You've got a position for a woman of my...talents? Politically, magically, and otherwise?"