Book 1: Crownfall, Act 1: All The King's Men

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Book 1: Crownfall, Act 1: All The King's Men

Post by GuyWithSword » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:03 am

The barely-dressed enchantress piles on the charm, and deliberately raises her voice so that Trant should just be able to hear what Aurelia wants her to hear. Aurelia repeats some of the more flattering compliments the hormonal men (and some women) are paying to her. "Why, thank you. Yes, I *do* work hard to maintain by figure and my derriere. It's tough to maintain such a high level of femininity, but I manage, unlike *some* women..."

If the mage sees Trant glance her way at all, Aurelia will bend over in a way to showcase all of her assets, as if challenging Trant.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:33 am

Crichton deflects a particularly attractive young lady, deflecting her to a 'Sir Bertram of Hilldale' who was begging the honor of a dance with her. Her eyes light up. "Sir Bertram, you say? Where might I find this dashing knight?" He points the way, giving a generic description, and she strides off. Poor lady. Or maybe there will be a nice random man that lucks out from the deception. Maybe it will be a Meet-Cute?

Malphene is staring daggers at Aurelia's provocation, then her eyes turn towards a different young man and angles that way. Her two sycophants follow behind. Having noticed, Aurelia manages to cut her off and talk to him first. She recognizes the somewhat sheepish man as Senator Dou. He's known as something of a pushover, being bullied one way or the other by those in power. His face almost seems to be in a perpetual look of apology. Dame Trant's hands ball into fists, clearly incensed.
After causing a serious brown-pants moment with a random courtier, Theodrix collects himself and tries a different tack. Knowing what kind of man Narsius is, he starts talking up the young hotness that is Lady Martella. He moves around the Courtyard where she had spent most of the evening up to this point, spreading the good news of the eligible bachelorette. He gets a much better reaction this time, and more than a few people are more than happy to hear more.

Mercutio has to walk around most of the Senate building to find his cousin again. The poor man seems to have found his way into the Senate Library, and has talked the librarian into showing him to the noble genealogies, and is open to a tome listing the accomplishments of the Lotheed family. He sees Mercutio coming, and blushes. He lifts up the tome, showing it off. "I know, I know, she's a bit of a black sheep. But I thought she might be proud of some of her ancestors, even if the current people are asses. Maybe I could find someone in the histories like her? Think that might impress?"
AREA INFLUENCE
Arcade of Triumphs: 4 Successes (no change)
Courtyard: Threshold 1 Reached: The PCs have ingratiated themselves enough into the political scene that tongues begin to waggle around them. Each PC immediately learns a single additional Influence skill of the NPC of their choice (i.e. choose a VIP or other NPC, and you learn one of the good skills that can influence them).

Aurelia and Crichton tag-team for the win! Aurelia is able to interrupt Malphene before she can get to her target. She looks pissed!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 pm

Bertram is silent, he readies himself to create the diversion. He organizes himself a glass of wine and is ready.
Ready to do the diversion for the artifact stealing mission.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:40 pm

Theodrix can only do so much gossiping before he can't take it any more. So he turns to listening and watching, spying on anyone he can. Lady Gloriana Morilla catches his eye, The sort of woman he might go after, and get slapped by. So he watches and listens, learning what he can about the woman hoping she might offer some options for finding Narsius, but he also keeps an keen eye on Martella in case the man makes an appearance near here.
I guess I'll learn about Lady Gloriana Morilla

Hoping she's heard of my mark, in some way or another
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:11 pm

"It's all about the introduction, cousin dearest. And being yourself, she won't like it if you try to be someone else, if you had years of practice, you might be able to impress by a trained social wit and eye contact alone, the right words, the right smile and the right place to fix your gaze can get you almost anything with almost anyone, like asking nicely for the borrowing a little toy to show a cousin of mine quite enamored with such contraptions." Mercutio grins and produces the bird with a flourish. "I have to give it back of course, which means the lady would very much like to see me again, that also means that I am your competitor for her affections, so you must have something special to offer, but I can stand aside and let you win her favor but you must still do the required work. And as it happens, since I have the habit of doing what nine out of ten men never do, asking the lady what she cares deeply about, I know exactly how you might arm yourself with a mightily impressive introduction".

The bait is thrown out, first he must bite it, and then, step by step, he must be recruited as a co-conspirator against their kin, not understanding how much they might hate him for it before it would seem he had come too far and done too much to stop.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:52 pm

Catching Aurelia's eye, Crichton nods, a conspiratorial smile ghosting across his face briefly. He then discretely touches his pin.

"My Lady, Dame Trant's plans seem to have come to naught. Shall we seek further opportunity to observe her, or would another task be your pleasure?"

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:07 am

Aurelia responds via the pin (hoping that their sponsor won't get tired of being a switchboard).

"Sir Crichton, I do believe, given the malevolent gaze she is throwing my way as if it is a gaze attack, I suspect we will have ample opportunity to observe her, whether we really want to or not. This is not a bad thing, since it'll definitely keep her from bullying anyone else. Back me up and we'll humiliate her some more. I'll make her come my way and then I'm sure her lowly intellect can't keep up with us."

The enchantress waits for a correct timing, and puts her plan into action. When a young man is walking near Trant, Aurelia makes sure that she 'accidentally' has a wardrobe malfunction by arching her back too much in a yawn. Her exposed chest hopefully will make the young man literally trip and fall onto Trant.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:40 am

Bertram sets up by one of the displays, something with an item of amusing significance - a spyglass. He engages others with polite if neutral conversation, practically blending in with the noise of the party. Mercutio brings his newfound cousin, who has fallen for his words hook, line, and sinker. With words like that you could probably get him to help heist the Crown Jewels. He is in it fully. While Bertram plays white noise, Mercutio and cousin Calhadian team up and approach the first target. Calhadian activates the noisy cricket, blocking out noise while he positions himself to break line of sight from most of the crowd while Mercutio goes about his business. After a minute he slides aside the side glass panel, and palms the spyglass. One down, and no problems so far.

Theodrix gravitates towards the apparent right-hand woman of the Princess, the Lady Gloriana Morilla. She is strikingly tall, making her easy to pick out amongst the crowded Courtyard. The royal guards do not establish a hard perimeter around the Princess, but their presence is heavier and noted so plenty of space is given the Royal Retinue, and people only approach when they have some surety they won't be tackled by security. The up-and-coming courtier moves into the pack at her perimeter, intending to observe. He comes in mid-conversation, and takes a long minute to begin to pick up on exactly what the heck they're talking about. It has somehow gotten into technical minutiae regarding best practices in nautical knot tying, specifically out of the hundreds of knots which are the most important at sea. Surprised by this turn of events, Theodrix's mouth moves before his brain can stop him - "Bowline! Clove Hitch! Cleat Hitch!" He can almost smell the saltwater in his nose, the memories running fast and deep. A small silence descends as the crowd looks to the Lady. The pause is broken by a surprisingly deep laugh by Gloriana. "Finally! Someone with a real opinion. Comes here young man. I like someone who speaks their mind, and does so with a brain in that mind." Luck is with him, and an impression made!

Aurelia ... is doing Aurelia things. Whatever she has done in her regular life before Court must have been very colorful, or she is simply the best improv actress of all time. Regardless, some poor sap has his eyes glued on her 'assets' while the rest of his body continues straight on. He loses his balance and tumbles into Madam Trant, and her toughs push the man roughly away. The lady's eyes blaze, and she grabs Aurelia by the elbow with one hand and drags her to the side of the senate gallery, into the area known as the Emperor's Hall. Her toughs follow without a word. Bertram who was playing more subtle interference notices everything happening, but it does not appear that Malphene has noticed him. In a barely controlled voice she hisses at Aurelia. "What in the hells do you think you are doing? Just because you're the tart of some minor noble, doesn't mean you can try to upstage me. Respect your betters or be put in you place." If her eyes were weapons, Aurelia would be bleeding all over her dress.
VIP/NPC Claims:
Theodrix = Lady Gloriana Morilla. Profession (any) or Spellcraft. Morilla finds nobles with interest in more common arts such as physical careers or magic to be a welcome relief, and readily engages with anyone displaying knowledge of such practical and useful skills.
Aurelia (informed by PM) = Landgrave Ogvai Jarlbjorn. Diplomach - if done as a straightshooter. Approach him with clear topic and intentions, and he'll respect you. Hates the usual weasel-words of politics, and the Senate in particular.
Everyone Else = ???

Bertram - successfully Aide Another.
Calhadian (cousin) - also Aides.
Mercutio - Untrained Sleight of Hand = 1d20 +4 (two aides) +4 (Cricket circumstantial) = 13+8 = 21, Success.

Theodrix - Gather info on Lady Gloriana Morilla.
- Perception = 3+6 = 9. Wisdom Roll = 4+1 = 5. Yup! You speak up. Profession (Sailor) = 19+4 = 24! Ok, that turned out well for you. Going to give an Influence point with her.
https://asa.com/news/2013/04/03/sailing-knots/

Aurelia - ... Bluff? Sure, since that does Feint and such, that'll be the distract and trip maneuver. Total 18, Success.
- Trant basically drags Aurelia from the Senate Floor (A6) to the Emperor's Hall (A3).
MISSIONS
Aide: NONE
Theft: Acquired Tool (mechanical cricket)
- 1/5 Stolen (3 required for mission success) = Spyglass
- Pending = Buckler, Dagger, Fan, Journal

VIP INFLUENCE
Countess Abrielle Pace: 1 Success (no change)
Baron Nicolaus Okerra: 2 Successes (Influenced)
Lady Gloriana Morilla = 1 Success

Arcade of Triumphs: 4 Successes (no change)
Courtyard: Threshold 1 Reached (no additional change): The PCs have ingratiated themselves enough into the political scene that tongues begin to waggle around them. Each PC immediately learns a single additional Influence skill of the NPC of their choice (i.e. choose a VIP or other NPC, and you learn one of the good skills that can influence them).
- PLEASE CLAIM THIS! I WANT YOU TO GET THE BONUS, BUT YOU GOTTA CALL!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sat May 04, 2019 2:42 pm

Subtlety is a powerful weapon, a stiletto or a poison ring against one's enemies. But, Crichton muses to himself as he weaves past Trant's henchmen, there's a reason alchemists prepare bombs.

The young man appears like a vision from smoke at Dame Trant's side, and speaks directly to Aurelia as if Malphene weren't there at all.

"My lady, you are a singular vision of beauty and elegance, unrivaled this evening by any woman. Would you do me the profound honor of a dance?"

Should Aurelia assent, Crichton takes her hand and steers her from the mass, ignoring the Dame and her cronies. Few insults sting like The Cut Direct.
Attempting to either extract Aurelia with a backhanded insult or force Trant into a public confrontation. As I do, I'd like to know what kind of skill might NEGATIVELY influence Dame Trant, the better to offend her should tempers ignite.

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Sun May 05, 2019 8:45 am

Subtlety is indeed a powerful weapon, and right now it may be time for it to be put away. But, not for the reason Crichton might think. Aurelia has recalled a few tidbits of information about Malphene Trant, and she plans to make use of it.

"Good sir, while I am flattered by your truthful words, perhaps your presence here could serve another purpose." she responds to the offer of a dance. Instead, the (still exposed) enchantress turns back to Madam Trant.

"Who do I think I am? I'm someone looking to help you. Yes, YOU. Indeed, all of us of the fairer sex in Taldor. You may not have thought about it much, but you are in a precarious position. You enjoy a measure of social stats, and even a knighthood, thanks only to your FATHER. It is him, and 2 others who wish to curry favor with him, that got you your title. And as easily as you have gained this unearned title, it can be taken away. Perhaps by your father, if for some reason he sours on you. But more likely by his enemies, after your father is no longer in position to protect and promote you."

She takes a breath before diving into further detail. "Given the current laws of the land, which you are working oh-so-hard to preserve at the direction of your father, all that is yours can be taken away. All there needs exist is some male relative, even a distant one, willing to challenge you for the estate. Right now, your social status offers some protection from blatant grabs that many others have experienced, but do you really want to bet everything you have, quite literally, on the continuance of your status? What if your father's enemies cause him to fall out of favor? What if someone assassinates him? There are a million things that can happen to rob you of your status, your wealth, and your happiness, because all of it hinges on a MALE in your family protecting you."

Aurelia pauses to appreciate the slight irony of Crichton coming in a rescue attempt. Of course on the other side there's the 2 toughs that Malphene relies on as well. "What I want to offer you is another road. Don't do your father's dirty work anymore...not when it will likely hurt YOU in the end. I also offer you training and a skillset, if it's something you'd like to try. Yes, your skill at arms is certainly valuable, and something you can offer, but those skills are often applicable in a court of intrigue and deals. Look at me. Not a lick of military or combat training. Yet, in a short amount of time, I've managed to derail your progress with nothing more than some pretty words, a tight dress, and a well-timed wriggle and yawn. And young men like him want to come to MY defense, not yours. I'm willing to teach you these subtle skills so you have real weapons in court, so maybe you can chart your own path and gain wealth and power can't be taken away from you. Be on the side of change, the side that'll benefit YOU."

She looks to her partner in crime to offer supporting words if he wishes to.
Using Diplomacy to appeal to her self-interest and switch sides.