Book 1: Crownfall, Act 2: Lost in History

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Book 1: Crownfall, Act 2: Lost in History

Post by Othniel » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:42 pm

"Are you this impatient with all the ladies?" Astraea teases as she settles a helm down over her head. Nobody really knows how she managed to fit into a set of armor with her gown (let alone find a suit to fit her), but padding is adjusted so as to make it work. The devotee of Ragathiel checks to make sure all her equipment is ready to hand and then grasps her sword. "Ready for anything."

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:09 am

The enchantress looks at the armor wistfully. "I wish I could wear armor to protect myself, but that would interfere with my spellcasting completely. I guess my tattered dress will have to serve for now." Her dress, having been accidentally torn since arriving here, covers even less than before, but she doesn't seem to mind the lack of modesty too much. Her mind is on escaping.

"I think the only thing left is to try to put the coin in the slot."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Theodrix just grins at Astraea, "We've been down here long enough. The last we saw any of our employers they were under attack by murderous royal assassins. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't like the idea of slacking off while those we are in debt to have their lives on the line. Beside, you aren't my type." He looks at the enchantress, "There are plenty of spare clothing in the armoire, dresses, pants, blouses, even this suit of fine padded armor that would restrict nothing but your sexuality, if you really had any modesty at all." He tosses the suit of armor on one of the beds near her. "Its time to get the hell out of this place." He's not wizards but he can pick a lock, so he joins those working on the 'magical coin slots' to see if he can help.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:50 am

Aurelia ignores Theodrix's jab at her, but does pick up the padded armor to examine it. She tries it on, and tries to do a few stretches. She makes a face as it pinches her in a few places, and quickly strips it off. "Your claim about padded armor not interfering with spellcasting is erroneous."

Tossing the padded armor aside, she goes back to putting the magical coins in the slot to see what happens. But not before she finds a nice shiny new masterwork light crossbow and masterwork dagger lying around, along with bolts.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:51 pm

Aurelia the Enchantress inserts one of the coins into the slot, and the western wall of the room turns into a shimmering blue portal. She steps through, and the portal disappears. Each of you in turn have to insert one of the magical coins to pass through the Phase Door to get to the other side.

You all find yourselves appearing out of the southern wall of a new hall, the presence of the teleporting portal still visible to you as a slight shimmer in the air. A single hooded lantern rests on the ground here, flickering with a blue light. The lantern was the target of a continual flame spell over a thousand years ago, and continues to glow. This short hallway ends with an elaborately carved brass lever, that when pulled opens the stone wall on the other end, an apparently secret passageway itself.

Exiting this short hallway, you enter what appears to be an old grand hall, or perhaps a series of meeting rooms. Hard to tell at this point. The only fresh item seems to be a newly minted corpse of some Lord, sprawled across the floor of the hall. He likely teleported here accidentally just as you did, although the target wasn't the hidey-hole you found yourselves in. His wounds are very fresh and obvious.
The is a Lantern w/ Continual Flame cast on it (effectively an Everburning Torch / Lantern) up for grabs.

Also, all the Doors you see in the Map are closed, so you'd have to open them to see what's inside.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:21 am

"Be careful," Astraea warns the others. "I have a feeling that one died after he got here." Holding her bastard sword in a guarded stance, she steps slowly forward.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:02 pm

Okay so we explored B1,2,3,4 and came out at C1 right?
Stepping through the portal then into the hall Theodrix looks around. The body puts him on edge, "Agreed." He moves to the corpse and kneels, he rolls the man over to look at his wounds and to see if anyone can identify him. "We aren't alone down here."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:18 pm

As Astraea goes on the defensive, Theodrix kneels down next to the fresh corpse and examines his wounds. There are a few superficial slash marks, likely from swords in the Senate. But the ones that sent him to Pharasma were more akin to claw marks, although none like you've ever seen. They look like gouges rather than slices from a big cat or something. The warpriest has a bad feeling about this ...
Yes, B1-B4 were the rooms you were in (you materialized in B1). B5 was where the portal dumped you after your escape, and you entered in to C1 through the S portal on the south wall. The Noble died next to the door to C3, and he fell facing eastward.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:15 pm

"Seems we aren't alone down here... these are claw marks, I think." Standing up Theodrix draws his blades, and looks around, "We better keep our voices down, and our ears open if there is some sort of beast loose in these tunnels." He then moves to the doors 'north' of the corpse and checks for traps or locks, if neither are found he waits for the company to be ready then opens them. If either are found, he deals with them on a professional level.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:30 pm

Bertram grasps his quarterstaff and looks around for tracks.