Book 1: Crownfall, Act 2: Lost in History

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Book 1: Crownfall, Act 2: Lost in History

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:39 am

The name of Senator Voritas is invoked and the Badge presented, and the animated armors stop in their motion and reverse, returning to their rusted posts at attention. Thus they have plenty of time to find any other valuables that might be available in the room.
Added the full Senate Badge description in the Loot Thread. Senator Voritas. The line died out long ago, but the badges are still valid to use.

Available Loot to claim:
- +1 Handaxe
- +1 Heavy Steel Shield
- Portable Alchemical Lab
- Potions of Cure Light Wounds (3)
- Potion of Bull's Strength
- ... and of course the awesome relic weapon that Vardaen called dibs on

After looting the room and quieting the ancient there is nothing left to do but move onwards. There are two doors to the north, one biased towards the west wall and one near the east. This appears to have been intended to be an interconnected entertainment and display area, as there are multiple small windows build into the sturdy doors, allowing a view into the next rooms.

The room to the north-west of full of life-sized wax figures, as though it captured the hosting of a celebration frozen in time. Gaudy nobles crowd the corners of this room dressed in ostentatious and pretentious fashions from long ago. Tremendous and somewhat ridiculous wigs soar towards the ceiling, each covered in thick layers of dust. A larger gaggle fills the center of the chamber, each aristocrat presenting a jovial or mocking leer as it stares out blankly. One of the figures is sprawled on the floor; overlapping circles cut into its waxen chest and face.

The north-east path on the other hand has shelves running from north to south in the square room. Glass windows - some with handles and others bearing locks - cover the front of the shelves. The angle is hard to tell, but it looks like some have handles and locks. Likely cultural artifacts and things of value were displayed to ooh and aah visitors to this place.
I'm going to set up a Roll20 campaign just so I can easily display the map as you continue to explore. I'm familiar with that platform so it'll be easiest on me to use.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:28 pm

"Voritas!"

Theodrix nearly forgot the name, then remembers at the last moment. "Alright, gear up, we need to be ready for anything." He helps loot the place unlocking cases and checking for traps as the goods are collected. He runs a hand over the axe then tucks it away with the rest of the loot for the group.

Theodrix inspects he wax party, and moves about the crowd, then pauses at the fallen one, he kneels and touches the 'wound' on it, trying to figure out what just might have happened to the thing.
I'll take a CLW potion if that's okay with folks, we should dish out the magical gear asap just because
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:58 pm

"I could perhaps hang onto that shield," Astraea suggests, 'if nobody else can put it to use. I prefer my bow, of course, but it would be a boon in close-quarters fighting."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:48 pm

"Some fighter should take the axe, I could do with a potion." If no one objects, he takes one potion and hands the axe to the strongest fighter.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:34 pm

"That looks like someone was either bored or had anger management issues" Mercutio looks puzzled at what had happened to the doll, taking at least two moments too many to have a good look at the fashions of that time. And well, if any of the dolls have jewelry, capes or anything else easily snatchable that would look good on him in happier times, surely the dolls wouldn't miss them?

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:46 am

Onward to the wax statues! The figures here are wax sculptures used in various displays and dioramas in the Senate above over the years. Each wears a haphazard variety of fashions from varying points in the empire's history. Bits of jewelry and small articles have some monetary worth and are easily appropriated. Mercutio, with an eye for quality, more than doubles the haul as he sees metal that just look like tarnished tin, but are in fact rarer materials definitely worth fencing.

Aurelia sees a muted aura emanating from one of the hats. Looks like it has some sort of illusory benefits to the wearer. But as she gets close she sees what looks like a pile of shorn hair twitching almost imperceptibly under the hat, as if the locks were moving in a nonexistent wind. And there definitely isn't any underground down here. As she cautiously gets close, she can see it is some sort of animate ooze. She isn't able to exactly pin down the species, but it does have the sheen of something vulnerable to fire.

Theodrix meanwhile is studying the circles. His trained eye confirms that they are definitely written by the same hand as the one that drew all over the floors of two previous rooms. Age is impossible to tell because of the cool and dry air. But the written symbols continue to have no real arcane power, as though the individual had seen a true ritualist in action, and was trying to reproduce it from memory.

Got the Roll20 Map up! If you want to join to see: https://app.roll20.net/join/6893909/b04fDA
I don't have an Image of Bertram I could download. Wouldn't mind one so I can add to the Icon!
Spread out the last bits. Gave Aurelia the alchemical lab. Gave Bertram the Potion of Bull's Strength.

In C5, found 450 gp (gave each of you 90 gp). Without Mercutio's nice Appraise skill, you would have netted only 200 gp.

If you can clear out the ooze, that's also a pretty Hat of Disguise available right there.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:46 am

"Shall we dispatch that...whatever-it-is?" Astraea suggests, gesturing toward the ooze.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Woot a map, nice
Theodrix shakes his head, "Same artist perhaps."

He nods to the looting, and then over at what Astraea is looking at. "Sure, nothing likes fire." He strikes a torch and holds it out wooshing it about at the moving hair, "Someone snatch the hat so we don't ruin it!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:38 am

Bertram quickly grasps the hat before Theodrix uses the torch. "Might come in handy." he says.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:57 pm

"I doubt it will be that easy" Mercutio observes the torchwork. "But it's a very nice hat!"