Re: Book 1: Crownfall, Act 3: The Silent Blade

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Re: Book 1: Crownfall, Act 3: The Silent Blade

Post by Othniel » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:36 am

"A bath would be lovely," Astraea agrees. "I need to rest as well. The last time I let down my guard was before the gala. But I want to know what is ****ing going on. Let's put together what we know of the events since all the Hells broke loose after Stavian's speech."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:37 pm

Theodrix limps his way with the others out of the warehouse with the Lady in one arm. He does his best to look tough but he's badly wounded himself. It will take him many days to recover, and right now he wants a hot meal, a cold drink, some good bandages and a soft bed. He does what he has to to help with the loot and the Lady but then pretty much vanishes to lick his wounds. He stays in touch a little, and is spotted at the market spending some of that coin two days later, and seems to have a new confidence in his walk as well.
Yeah sorry I know I'm super inactive.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:26 am

The first couple days are spent obviously trying to just recover from the deadly fighting and emotional trauma, and the rest and food do you wonders. But as the body heals, the mind is left to wonder - what in the Nine Hells is going on? Rumors are flying around about who or what is responsible for all this. The final accounting of the dead totals 78 Senators, alongside 102 aides, defenders, family members, and staff, in what many Taldans are already beginning to call the 'Exaltation Massacre'. In all of this, there have been no public speeches or even appearances by any of the royal family, leading to all sorts of ugly rumors about their fates.

The attackers appear to have been an assortment of mercenaries and killers from Andoran, Cheliax, and Galt - though arguments rage over who brought these assassins into the heart of Taldor's government. While the survivors have little reason not to believe Stavian himself hired these agents, much of the Taldan citizenry that you listen to are less convinced. Many suspect Princess Eutropia or High Strategos Pythareus. Others speak of devils from Cheliax paving the way for a war of conquest, or a merchant guild plot, or an Andoran-style populist uprising.

Lady Martella lets you know that tomorrow she has secured transport to a townhouse, clearly intimating that all is not lost, and there are plans in motion to react. You will be meeting with other faction leaders, to consult and act.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:53 pm

Mercutio quickly finds backs his flirtatious and carousing self...though after having seen him work under pressure, with words and guile in the senate and blade and magic elsewhere, it is becoming clear, perhaps also finally to him, that this attitude is as easily donned as a stylish coat, though it undeniably fits him as if it was tailored, but as with all fashion, it is never to everyone's taste.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:45 pm

After taking three days of rest, Martella comes to the Silent Horse to invite the courtiers to a private meeting. A short carriage ride brings them to a tidy townhouse in the Aroden's View district. Inside, a cozy fire and the scent of tea warm a small library. A slightly familiar, friendly catch-dog trots over to investigate, wagging its tail, and returns satisfied to its owner's side as she rises from the chair - Princess Eutropia. After a polite nod, she speaks.
"My name is Eutropia Stavian I, eldest living child of Stavian III, and I thank you for coming. I wanted to express my gratitude in person for rescuing my old schoolmate, Martella. She is a dear friend, and I am in your debt." She has a charming smile, and seems genuinely grateful. "You are bold and resourceful, yet apparently relative unknowns on Taldor's political stage. Those are all incredibly valuable assets. Now more than ever I find myself in need of talented allies. Even taking into account the events of the past few days, I regret to say that is appears that my father expired in the uprising, Pharasma rest his soul. He clearly was convinced my efforts at social reform were the precursor to usurping his throne. Some dear friends feared he would try to kill me; you may have noticed the Lion Blades on the scene in response. I had never imagined he could ... that he had slipped so far." She is a master of her responses, but even through that she is clearly shaken by the events of the Exaltation.

"Apparently, in his paranoia, my father formally adopted Maxillar Pythareus in a private ceremony to declare the General his heir. Or so Pythareus has proclaimed to the nobility, and he has presented documentation to support his claim. There are even those nobles who believe the vote against agnatic primogeniture could not possibly have taken place, or was coerced by those same elements that attacked the Senate."

"The Ulfen Guard has sealed the Palace and refuses admittance to anyone until the question is resolved. Normally this kind of issue would fall to the Senate, but with the Senate decimated and no recognized Emperor to approve new members ... this situation is entirely unprecedented."

"I don't know if I'm the best candidate for the Throne, but I know Pythareus isn't. He's a warmonger and a regressive traditionalist. He preaches about waging war on the 'upstart colonies' and bringing them back into the Empire by force. I won't let him march us back into endless war, and I need allies of uncommon skill to ensure our nation's future. I would be honored to have such noble allies as yourselves in the War for the Crown."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:42 pm

Rested and recovered, and itching to do something, Astraea is more than ready to meet with Eutropia. As they are introduced, she bows. "With your permission, Your Highness, you were declared to be the heir by the Senate just days ago. Pythareus's claim would have to be proven, and I suspect any documents he has are forgeries. I do not know where my own house, House Clement, falls in this, but I would declare my support for you should you accept the Senate's declaration."

"Furthermore, as a priestess of Ragathiel, I believe it my duty to seek those responsible for the massacre and see them punished."

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:07 pm

"Mercutio of the House Vernisant, at your grace's service". Mercutio offers with a bow following the proper courtesies as well as any nobleman could possibly manage and adding a flirtatious flourish of his own making that no other Vernisant would be caught dead performing, none that he knows of anyway, which is pretty much the same.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:40 pm

"What do we need to do?" Brother Bertram just asks, looking around then taking a glass of liqueur.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:51 pm

Princess Eutropia is a perfectly gracious host, returning the respects of House Clement and House Vernisant. She reiterates the precarious political dynamics in place. The Senate has been gutted, and the survivors have different stories to tell. Those who sided with the Grand Prince are saying that it was a coup attempt by the Princess, while those who voted for the Princess point their hands at a massacre by the Grand Prince. Beyond witness statements there is no documentation to present, as immediately after the Vote came the massacre. The Senators hadn't even put their signatures to an official tally to make it law.

"As for the assassins, it seems my father reached out to his peers in other nations to recruit his ... special forces. I understand the Lion Guards found evidence of Andoren, Chelish, and Galtan nationality among the dead; the old colonies where my father might still have loyal friends. Had, I suppose. The Lion Blades heard rumors of father recruiting foreign agents and feared for my safety, but we vastly underestimated the numbers, or his true targets. This is why I clearly need new eyes in this endeavor."

"Maxillar Pythareus, declared the official heir by the Palace, has retreated to the fortress city of Zimar, in the south, and has refused my requests for council. He is a general, and his center of power are in the legions to the south, not the Capitol itself. Rumors suggest he's already begun gathering a network of supporters calling themselves the Imperialists."

"As for yourselves, if you join me in my efforts, you would work as my loyal agents to secure resource and allies, ideally without raising too much of a fuss when it can be avoided. Martella will direct you toward more specific goals; I have a great deal of work to accomplish myself in the meantime, as well as directing other Loyalists for my faction." She gives you a small smile. "As for why I selected you to help me, I haven't. I'm afraid you're still unknown factors to me. But Martella seems impressed with your abilities, and I respect her judgment. Between being competent agents within the Senate, escaping the assassins, and rescuing my dear friend, you have left her with quite the positive opinion of your skills and character. I hope you'll honor me with the same impression."

"As for the greater effort that I am orchestrating, I will rally our resources and allies. This is not a war we can win by swords; Pythareus commands the entirety of the Phalanx, and much of the rest of the military is fiercely loyal to him. This is a war we must win with words, and guile, and allies. We need the people of Taldor to unite behind a single monarch to dispel the military's desire to settle this with force of arms. I refuse to allow the blood of common Taldans spilled to slake some petty squabble between nobles."

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:37 am

Aurelia has been quite troubled by recent events. Things seemed to looking up for Taldor before all the killing and assassinating happened. Now, there's this regressive general who wants to make war to reclaim and relive old glories? Certainly not the direct the enchantress wants to see Taldor go!

Today, she is dressed in her usual self. That is, less richly and fancy than the day of the festivities, but no less revealing. Her dirty blonde hair is partially hidden by a blue hood today. She sports a silver-and-blue dress that opens in the front down past her navel, and black leggings.

"I am very amenable to aid you in your endeavors, Crown Princess Eutropia. I, Aurelia Demetrias, pledge to aid you in moving Taldor into a new tomorrow. With my skilled tongue and my enchanting magics, I will make sure the fuss is minimal...or at least witnesses are too distracted to pay attention to the real fuss. We are ready to begin immediately. Where do we start?"