Book 2, Act I: Songbird

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Book 2, Act I: Songbird

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:00 pm

Previously, in the courtyard:
Emelia invites Bala to the best introduction to a strange new world: sampling some food. She munches on jellied calf while listening to stories from Jalmeray and telling a few anecdotes of life in Meratt. When pressed in earnest, confiding her role during the shocking turn of events at the Senate building makes for a good excuse to isolate from the other guests for that brief exchange.

On to the grand ballroom:
Taking cursory glances of the guests as they all file on through the palace until they reach the ballroom, Emelia looks for people that fit her wheelhouse. She eyes Bartelby behind his back, and they may not be washers or fishwives, but guards' propensity for gossip, especially homegrown swords, may surprise...

Once left to to the hospitality of Purple Finch, the lancer feels pushed toward Tribune Onora. Additionally, pushed both toward and from Her Grace Adella Voinum. Hmm, doubtful that the retiree keeps up with the rotations of the army, and yet, she wonders how her brother fares as a veteran with the Phalanx.
First paragraph: that's just a summary bit for Bala to get on side - in the party proper - for when it becomes relevant. No need to "do it live", as it were. Also, I think I like the alt spelling for my PC name. I'll stick with it.

Wonder if Merkondus has had his fill of puns. Anyway, two things.

1st, as "Influencing an NPC": what skills could I use to suss out Adella's Goals and/or Biases, or Onora's? And Onora's Strengths as well? A social pariah probably won't be helpful unless Onora's Strengths are worth it. Conversely, I suspect someone like Adella is a lost cause if either of those give her laser eyes on Emelia or Eutropia.

2nd, for the other PCs: given my background, what could I have told the party (via Bertram?) in private about Bartelby - the better to undermine him? (however DM answers, assume Emelia gave you that helpful info already.)

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:34 am

Emilia leans to Finch, and asks her what she knows about the retired commander and the tribune.
Actually, maybe I'm going about this wrong. I'm going to get started by asking our chaperone about the people I want to influence, Adella and Onora, to reveal unknowns about them. Then I'll compare it to what Emilia has heard about them, and go from there.

My plan is just to move either of them up to Indifferent. It couldn't hurt to get Adella ready to speak to us. Onora is going to be our neighbor soon, but it is probably preferable for me or Bertram/Bala to be seen with her.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:17 am

Emilia does know a bit about the Count, even though she has had little to no direct social interaction with the man. She has been present when he has met with Baron Okerra in the past a couple of times, and has her ear to the ground as well as anyone else. One thing that comes to mind to share is that he is a magician of some sort, and has little respect for the unlettered or ignorant. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he is also fond of those with arcane talents as well.
Emiliia: Giving you for free (because it makes sense with your background) the Biases of Count Bartelby.
- Biases: Bartelby despises fools, and has no time for anyone without a high Intelligence score (exact figure unknown), or ranks in (unknown number of) different Knowledge skills (-2 if you don't qualify). He admires fellow practitioners of the Arcane arts (+2 if you're a wizard/sorcerer/etc.)

Your chaperone can give you common public knowledge, and otherwise explain anything about the Events themselves, but cannot directly give you any secret knowledge of the nobility.

Please also see the main OOC chat thread, where I put a shorthand explanation of the Social Combat system used in War for the Crown, and how we can expedite this process.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:23 am

Bala gladly obliges Emelia's curiosity, telling her about his homeland, an island of beautiful, stark contrasts in terrain, in no small part due to the Djinn that the Vudrani settlers brought with them to the island. He also speaks on the typical fare of his island and its differences from the new flavors he has sampled in Taldor.

---

As the attendees begin to mingle, the Vudrani makes his way towards the older, brought still imposing Baroness Voinum. "Pardon my intrusion, Baroness. I am called Bala of Jalmeray. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," Bala says, hoping to start a conversation.
Bala will attempt to make a discovery check with Sense Motive.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:48 pm

Emilia engages in harmless gossip with the others about Bartelby, ostensibly to divert away folks who would only waste his time. A moment later she beelines for the Tribune, with an opening appealing to the widow's apparent preference to play the wallflower, and to her views on the patriciate.

"Good lady Onora? May I join you? This isn't my usual setting, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed."

Emilia seeks common ground with the Tribune, the better to open up about herself, while trying to make a new friend.
I appear to be short on skills applicable for Discovery. I thought about Dungeon, but Onora doesn't really count as a hazard (at least not off the battlefield, ha-ha).

Moved token.
Discover weakness: Sense Motive 8

Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:56 pm

Bala the monk from foreign lands approaches Baroness Voinum to get to know her. She holds herself with the discipline developed from decades in the military, and subtly displays her wealth through excellently tailored and strong clothing, rather than dripping with jewelry as others might do. She looks the monk up and down, clearly weighing him in her mind. She responds coldly, but not with hostility. "Jalmeray? You come from very far away, Bala. What brings you to court today?" She does not state her pleasure to meet him back.
Discovery Check (no target declared - Bias/Strength/Weakness/Influence Skill): 2+9 = 11 (+/- possible hidden bonuses), Fail. No Success.
Dame Emilia approaches Tribune Onora, who at this moment looks uncomfortable (and unwelcome) in the noble halls of the palace. The half-elf manages to look younger than her actual 50-ish years, despite being rather muscular and worn. She is a commoner, not even with a knighthood or anything to distinguish her, and inherited the position from her dead husband.

She looks positively relieved at who approaches her first as she stands next to the window at the far end of the ballroom. "Ah, Dame Emilia! I feel you on that, not my scene either. Glad to see a friendly face, rather than just the nobility and courtiers. Looks calm and friendly now, but just wait until drama ensues. It's up for grabs as to who will stir the hornet's nest first. I certainly was hoping it wouldn't be me, stumbling into a cesspit without seeing it."
Discovery Check (Weakness): 8+0 = 8 (+/- hidden bonuses) = Success.
- NOTE: Tribune Onora responds more positively to Emilia than she 'should' have (i.e. satisfied unknown Biases and/or Strengths).
- Learning Weakness: Onora has a deep love for homespun metaphors and colloquialisms (using these in conversations will give you bonuses to your Discovery/Influence checks).

Astraea, Bertram, and Mercutio ...
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:23 pm

Finding that he might as well play out his own inclinations, Mercutio makes note of Lady Lucretzia Marthane...for later. He gives her an appraising, not quite lingering glance in passing, just enough to catch her attention if she might be flattered, and hopefully think nothing of it otherwise, she would likely be interesting enough to converse with either way, but his attention, but perhaps not his gaze, was focused on Dame Parthena, seeking to mingle and introduce his way past her, but counting on giving her more than enough opportunity to put herself into his way. Making himself bait does appeal to his sense of humor, planning to get ambushed with some sort of proposition and to deflect and endure it while neither giving hopes or disappointment, well that sounds like a proper challenge.
Okay, so I'm not sure how many actions are allowed, and if discovery will eat into that, his bigger interest in terms of social maneuvers for the empress is to get into the good graces of Parthena for the gossip angle. However, if discovery will eat into the action economy, his +16 diplomacy, because well, bard...he probably should just go for the scattershot approach. On the other hand, the IC approach fits with a sense motive discovery maybe?

Lucretia he can flirt with later, after also influencing her if there is time.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:40 pm

Lady Lucretzia meets Mercutio's appraising gaze, responding with a subtly raised glass and a sly smile. She doesn't appear to be offended by him then moving away towards Dame Parthena.

Mercutio is a dashing gentleman, easy on the eyes and good with the ladies. He easily ingratiates himself with the lady, using his prodigious social skills to get her talking.
Clarification: For the purposes of Influencing, the mother and daughter team (Dame Parthena and her daughter Septisinia) act as one unit. So you don't have to Discover/Influence them individually.

I like your attempt at rumormongering, so in addition to the Discovery roll, I'll also give you a Rumor (in the text below). Added to a new 'Book 2: Rumors and Secrets' thread.

Need a commitment to either a Discovery (with target of Bias/Strength/Weakness/Influence Skill), or Influence Check (with declared Skill use). In this case to move things forward, going to go with Discovery (Weakness):
- Mercutio: Discovery (Weakness check) - Sense Motive -> Performance (Oratory) = 10+16 = 26, Success!

Dame Parthena Crabbe (Weakness) = Anyone who seems romantically inclined toward Sepsinia—or better yet, attempts to woo her—will find Dame Crabbe very friendly. Parthena hasn’t noticed her own lack of love life and is easily flustered by anyone flirting with her.
The bard gets her talking about all sorts of rumors, although one in particular seems juicy.
“Apparently Baronet Vort’s gone native with a band of peasants southeast of Baron Telus’s land; even destroyed the Gold Canyon bridge to keep outsiders away. I hear a witch got into his brain and stirred things up a bit. Positively scandalous!”
This is in relation to a place called 'New Towne' (section O on the main Map, when we go back to that), in the south-west section of the County.
Beyond getting her to talk, he notices whenever he gives a compliment related to her daughter, Septisinia, she positively blushes and almost wraps an arm around his.

Astraea and Bertram ...
To keep things moving, I'm giving until Saturday for Astraea and Bertram to post their actions. If they don't, I will Post for them. Now angry with them or anything, just want to not let anything hold up progress. They'll be sensical actions, but don't want to delay further.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:51 am

Astraea never got the chance to interact with Baron Okerra at the Exaltation Gala, only meeting the existing party once they got magically teleported into the catacombs when the assassinations went down. But having heard good things from the group, and now from Dame Emilia as well, she wants to introduce herself.

Baron Okerra has calmed down from his days as a cavalier in the field, aging into a graceful beginning of old age. Grey hairs are invading his hair and wrinkles to his face, but he is still strong and could give Astraea a run for her money in any Tournament. He asks after her health, history, and recent events. Run-of-the-mill "getting to know you" topics. He sorrows to learn she was in the Senate as well and the horrors seen there, as well as the chaos the uprising caused. The latest news she brings of begging and desperate peasants at the borders of his land clearly troubles him. He is doing his best to take care of his people, and he hates that he doesn't have the resources to care for everyone.
Sense Motive (Weaknesses): 14+16 = 30, Success.
Weaknesses: Baron Okerra has always associated goodness with obedience and service, but he’s increasingly questioning the morality of his life since the Exaltation Massacre. Any expression of sympathy touches Nicolaus’s heart.

Bertram is deceptively affable, appearing to be just a harmless, slightly portly middle-aged man. But this hides a mind that is razor-sharp, betraying those who think him less than he truly is. Taking a risk, he approaches Count Bartelby as he is between people, moving around being a good host. The inquisitor catches him at a good time and strikes up a conversation.

The Count is as he was described - aloof, but charismatic when he is willing to engage. He bores easily with the pleasantries, and since no interesting question or request was made, pivots to talking about magical lore and creatures. Bertram is knowledgeable about many things, but arcane arts and magical creatures aren't in his repertoire. The Count is a well-seasoned nobleman, so only because he is so observant does the inquisitor see the non-verbal signs that he is disappointed and dismissive.
Sense Motive (Biases): 12+13 = 25, Success.
Biases: Bartelby despises fools, and has no time for anyone without an Intelligence score of at least 12, or ranks in [at least an Unknown # of Knowledge skills) (-2). He admires fellow practitioners of the arcane arts (+2).
End of Round 1! To give a minor reveal, there will be a total of 3 Social Rounds (so 2 more to go) before we will move into the Tournament.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:08 pm

Emilia has heard sentiments like Onora's before, and may have expressed the same on occasion. "Too true, bad idea to go riding for a fall. At least it's safer on this side of the nest. And if something does happen, we'll get to watch it together!" She smiles in jest.

After her little joke, she gently suggests the folks she minded on her way here are cut from a different cloth. Perhaps Onora will see for herself if they come calling. Vernisant seems disinterested in all the pomp. He might be a decent fellow, albeit frisky as a colt. You can smell his lust from a mile away. (another joke)

And, going back to crossed swords, is she planning to take part in the tournament? She will have a chance to meet Lady Astraea up close in the melee, who is herself a dedicated holy warrior. Emilia will also take part, and flashes a competitive grin after saying so. Moreover, she hopes his lordship Okerra will be taking part, and for the chance to test her lance against his shield arm.

Emilia will continue chat with the widow for a fair bit to save her from the attention of said hornets and give her a confidence boost. Unbearded folk should stick together, after all.
Diplomacy to Influence, targeting weakness. "Riding for a fall" & "frisky as a colt" for the rancher flavor.
Aiming to raise Onora's Disposition towards Mercutio and Astraea, since they are the only two noble PCs present and Mercutio is the defacto inheritor candidate.

I wouldn't be surprised if she's just planning to quietly duck out of the noble life for good, but it wouldn't hurt to raise her opinion of the new management, and let her rattle off. Making friends just as the princess ordered.

Would you roll for me this time?