Book 2, Act I: Songbird

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Book 2, Act I: Songbird

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:16 pm

The Tribune is no slouch in a fight, but she's focused on law enforcement activities. So she can club a bar brawl into submission and tackle a fleeing subject, but she is no duelist or lancer. She knows she would be trounced going up against a Knight of the Realm, and sees no reason to humiliate herself in the Tourney. She is solely here to meet her social obligations, but plans on skating by by doing the needed minimum. She wants to get back to Stachys as soon as possible to carry on her duties.
Reminder, Stachys is the village that the Betony Estate controls, so she is your local Sheriff.
Onora is still chilly, but seems to be warming up to Dame Emilia, perhaps seeing her a kindred spirit, or at least one who takes her duties more seriously than these silly games of the nobility.
Social Round 2:
Emilia - Influence Check (Diplomacy) vs Tribune Onora: 13 (Roll) + 12 (Skill) + 4 (Weakness - Homespun Aphorisms) + 2 (unknown cause) = 31, Critical Success! 2 Influence Successes on Tribune Onora (2 Cumulative).

A certain number of Successes is needed (it varies) per improvement in Attitude. So let's say Onora needs 4 Successes (which as a mild reveal, is her number), so once 4 cumulative Successes are made, then she would improve from Unfriendly to Indifferent (then another 4 to Friendly, and another 4 to Helpful). So you don't have enough time to even try to get everyone to Helpful in Act I, but you'll have more time during Book 2 to continue working on the people you care to.
Astraea, Bala, Bertram, and Mercutio ...
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:17 pm

"Knowledge, Baroness," Bala replies. "There is much wisdom to be found in the ancient texts of monasteries and temples. But I imagine a great deal more is to be found in the rest of the world. A person of your stature must meet an untold amount people from all manner of places and walks of life. Certainly more than someone who might spend their entire life trying to memorize one book over and over."
Use Sense Motive to discover weakness.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:15 pm

The battle scar on the Baroness' face becomes more prominent as she straightens her posture, age starting to lessen her height, but only to still six feet tall. "I have served from one end of Taldor to another, not to mention in foreign expeditions with the Phalanx. I admire your scholarly interests, Bala of Jalmeray, as they show wisdom that young rarely possesses." She takes a closer look at him. "Or perhaps appearance of youth in your case. My family history in Taldor extends back thousands of years. Many here are content to live insular and unlearned lives, rather than truly understanding their history and their place in the world."
Bala - Sense Motive for Weakness = 28, Success!
- Weakness = Baroness Voinum respects those with regard for tradition and an interest in history of the county and the nation.
--- i.e. Knowledge (History) is useful, or otherwise RP-ing into the conversation Tradition or History of Taldor to bolster your influence attempts.

I'm going to give 1 more Week for Social Round 2, then make choices for those who didn't act to move on to Social Round 3 (the last before moving on to the Tournament).
Astraea, Bertram, and Mercutio ...
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:11 pm

Mercutio is in his element, although he does not precisely woo the young lady, he does make sure to lavish her with apparent attention, though almost every word of import is for the ears of her mother. As a newcomer to the region, he finds himself in need of someone familiar with the local customs and people, the better to make himself at home here. And the lady does seem like the perceptive sort? Perhaps being able to offer recommendations as to who might be worthwhile to make one's acquaintance with? But only when Mercutio have taken up enough of her valuable time, of course.
Influencing Parthena all the way. Bluff?

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:53 pm

Mercutio lays on lavish praise for Dame Parthena's daughter. Sepsinia struggles to meet this stranger's eyes, looking vaguely surprised and frightened by everything. She is rail-thin and pale. Whether this is her normal demeanor Mercutio doesn't know. So maybe this is a normal shyness or a temporary struggle he doesn't have enough information.

Regardless, having her opened up she leans close and begins gossiping. “Sotto hasn’t paid their taxes in over a year, from what I hear, and they always seem to have some new excuse. Baroness Voinum’s been stepping in to cover them, as I hear it, but the old girl can’t keep Lotheed’s soldiers from collecting their due forever.”
Mercutio - Influence Check (Bluff) = Nat 20!!! Critical Success, so 2 Influence Successes instead of 1. Parthena = 2 cumulative successes.
- Also since you wanted rumors and got such an impressive success, you get #6 (also adding to the Rumors & Secrets Thread). Sotto is a village a few hours distance north-west of the Palace of Birdsong (Area J in the main map).
Astraea seems to have connected emotionally with Baron Okerra, and continues in that vein. She is a warrior-priestess, so while he himself is no bishop they do have commonalities in their interests.
Astraea - Discover the relevant Influence Skills = 19+16 = 35. Counting as Critical Success, so giving 2 skills: Handle Animal, Profession (Architect, Driver, Farmer, Fisherman, Midwife, Porter, or Soldier).
- Reminder: Diplomacy/Bluff/Intimidate are very common to have for most VIPs, but the DC of that will be higher than if you use discovered influence skills (Handle Animal and Profession above). So that's the benefit of trying to discover those skills.
Bertram continues to try to keep Count Bartelby in conversation, trying to dig into him more. Unfortunately the inquisitor comes across as rather inquisitor-ly, and the Count is turned off by the conversation. Bartelby loses no composure, simply excusing him as his duties as the Host require him to see to the needs of all. He wishes Bertram a good rest of his day and walks away.
Bertram - Discover the relevant Influence Skills = Nat 1! Ouch. Since it wasn't a direct Influence attempt he didn't cost you any influence successes, so deciding the Nat 1 means that Count Bartelby moves on and Bertram can't interact with him for the rest of the Socialization hour and during the Tournament. If desired, he could try again at Dinner or afterwards.
End of Social Round 2! Last Social Round before we move to the Tournament.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:22 am

Emilia nods in understanding. It looks like the champion's fascination can never be communicated to the Tribune. Perhaps they can swap stories from their rounds? For herself, she has had to deal with a few odd people demanding or surreptitiously attempting to get past her. Once, a thief stole her horse through an elaborate ruse; she later found him dead on the road near an outlaw camp, and her horse hitched to a tree in said camp.
Persuasion - attempting to score another point.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:47 pm

Moving across the room, Mercutio tries to not let Parthena see him introduce himself as dashingly as he does towards Lady Lucretcia, perhaps too early in the day for seduction, but he does add his customary flourishes and trying to catch eye contact for just a little longer than normal, all these little things that sometimes works, most times not really, but do it enough times and someone will bite the bait.

He is cautious about not going too far, he's here to make friends first and foremost, but Mercutio's whims and fancies are still coming along for the ride.
So I think shotgun influence check with persuade

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:36 am

Onora continues to slowly warm up to Emilia, given that she is clearly not an entirely useless person and continues to acquit herself well, but her inherent distrust of nobility and her clear attachment to the Betony heir can't quite yet overcome her natural instincts. But rather than swap stories, she instead changes topics completely. Giving the knight a hard but level look she says, "I appreciate bluntness, so if you and the new heir are going to deal with me, you'll have to live with it. Stachys these days is little more than a hamlet, a neglected farming community that has scraped by without official leadership or infrastructure for over a decade, bleeding population the entire time. Can't even really honestly be categorized as a village anymore, at least not in the kingdom's census."

"Lady Betony passed ten years ago, and my husband did his best as tribune to keep things together. Since he died I've been the only thing passing for a leader in the place, protecting my neighbors, keeping the people organized, all while running my small tavern. The stipend for a hamlet's tribune doesn't exactly cover much." She raises a hand to make a point. "I'm not bringing this up to increase my pay, I'm saying this all so you don't expect to march into Stachys to meet a welcoming parade. The people have truly been effectively abandoned by the nobles of the county for years, and won't be eager to be told what to do or offer up yet more taxes they can't afford. Let the Heir know, or you're going to be in for a rude surprise."
Emilia - Influence Check (Diplomacy) vs Tribune Onora: 6 (Roll) + 12 (Skill) + 4 (Weakness - Homespun Aphorisms) + 2 (unknown cause) = 24, Success! 1 Influence Success on Tribune Onora (3 Cumulative). Still not quite enough to move her off of Unfriendly (GM Spoiler, she needs 4 total to shift her Attitude each step).
Mercutio as the very dashing dandy that he is manages to expertly extricate himself from Dame Parthena without raising her ire, and sidles over to the Lady Lucretzia Marthane sitting by herself at one of the dining tables. She is rather plain looking, and likely would have been completely overlooked by Mercutio if she had been acting the part of a social butterfly as the other hangers-on are doing, fluttering around the bright lights of the powers-that-be.

She blinks in surprise at the approach of such a gentleman, and seems to respond almost despite herself. She responds quietly and politely, asking his name and birth, double-surprised to find the new Betony Heir bothering to speak to a distant cousin from Cassomir, one put on the guest list as a polite formality rather than out of any true desire for her presence.
Mercutio - Influence Check (Diplomacy -> Oratory b/c Bard) vs Lady Lucretzia: Nat 20! Critical Success, 2 Influence Successes. Sheesh. Spoony Bard! Added an entry to the Book 2 VIP for her. She's currently a complete unknown to you, doesn't appear to present herself as an obvious power player, just someone who managed to get on the guest list for the party.
Bala the foreign monk uses his expert knowledge in the history of the nations, and Taldor in specific, to engage Baroness Voinum in a long conversation about the influence that Taldor has had on the militaries and traditions of the surrounding nations. She never drops her formal and reserved manner, but neither does she try to cut the conversation short.
Bohemond didn't declare an Action, but I blame myself more than anything since I've been struggling to keep up the Posting pace. I promise I'll really do better going forward. As he was previously interacting with Baroness Voinum, I'll just have him to an Influence Check (Diplomacy) to move things forward.
-> Bala - Influence Check (Diplomacy) vs Baroness Voinum: 17 (Roll) + 8 (Skill) + 4 (her Weakness is History and Bala is fully trained in Knowledge History, so giving it to him) = 29, Success! 1 Influence Success.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:44 am

The conversations are then interrupted by the ringing of a bell by one of the well-dressed servants, and he announces that the grounds have been prepared for the start of the Tournament, and welcomes everyone to come outside to join the festivities.
Event 1 (Arrival) has concluded, and we now transition to Event 2 (The Tournament). There's time here to reset and have the group meet back up to compare notes and/or plan. Bertram and Astraea are now generally in the background since their Players have left, but they're not dead or anything. You know anything they know from their interactions.

You can get in any side conversations you'd like to, but if nothing else I'd welcome Bala to more formally work on integration with the group. Dame Emilia had the quick in of effectively being assigned to the group by Baron Okerra, while currently Bala is just a strange but friendly monk who happens to be at the same party, rather than a new party member.

When you'd like we can officially move to the Tournament. Anyone who would like to participate, let me know. Same for the Trucco game (kind of a mixture of billiards and golf). If you're in the Touranment you'll only get a total of 2 Social Rounds to socialize as you'll otherwise be hitting things.
Trucco people get 4. Although if that's going to keep players side-lined for any significant period of time I'll say screw it and balance it to 3 total Rounds for everyone.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:55 am

Onora's interjection dents Emilia's overtures. However they seem to be getting on, she had assumed too much of the tribune. Fortunately, the revelation creates a segue into a tit for tat. After the bell and the announcement, she makes the offer before taking her leave.

"I will tell him. It's lamentable that Stachys is in such a state. If there is anything warrior might do to improve their lot, then I am at your service."
I didn't know she ran a tavern as a side hustle. I'll try again after I've done right by Stachys. Or maybe that will be enough to push her a few pips toward Friendly, after the conversation we just had.

Sign Emilia up for that tournament!

About Bala: We can put Emilia on it. For a summary, she can ask about what the baroness told him, and go into the political situation since he is a newcomer and should be aware of it. Then she'll nudge him toward their goals, and we'll call it fate. She can bring him to the group meet to be properly apprised of who he's working with.