Book 2, Act I: Songbird

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Re: Book 2, Act I: Songbird

Post by Grimbold » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:28 am

Brother Bertram smiles. "Oh, well, I am not just a member of the church. I have travelled far and wide. And I want to save our home country from those would-be usurpers. And of course, this should be a great deal of fun, you know ... adventuring, secret missions, fights, drinking."

Not to be outdone, Betram will also hand out some coins to the needy. "Cayden Cailean bless you, my son! May luck be with you, sister!"

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:29 am

The commoners are effusive in their thanks - pledging undying allegiance to Baron Okerra, promising worship of Cayden Cailean, proposing to name their firstborn after you, all manner of things. They likely don't really mean it, or at least the drive to keep them will quickly fade. They weren't lying per se, more expressing their gratitude in desperate circumstances. If it parts more coin from a nobleman to feed your family, then lying could be the most morally responsible thing to do.
Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, the charity/blessings given out happen first, then the revelation that Emilia is a fellow supporter of the Princess happens once you are away from the populace and have some privacy. Nobody blabbed to the peasantry that you're here on a Secret Mission(tm). ... unless you specifically wanted to do so.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:26 pm

"Ordered, you say?" Mercutio is curious about who, but he doesn't really need to know.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:42 am

"Yes, my lord." Emilia lowers her head for the sharply dressed scion to make up for having overlooked him before. "To put it crudely, the Baron has loaned my leash to Princess Eutropia. Separate from that, I found all the motivation I need to devote myself to the cause, when the Grand Prince's royal guard fell upon us with their swords. Her Royal Highness has my full support, for whatever it counts." She knits her brow at the memory of the awful event.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:02 am

"I am a priestess of Ragathiel, but much like Brother Betram, I am not here in my official role representing the church," Astraea put in once they were away from the crowd. "But I am to see just vengeance dealt out."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:57 pm

Traveling through the County of Meratt is otherwise pleasant after the initial encounter with the beggars on the road. The Oppara Highway runs up to Baron's Okerra's town of Pensaris, and while not especially prosperous it appears to be clean and well-ordered. The people go about their business industriously, and a few merchants call out Emilia by name and wave in greeting.

Turning north rather than going into the town proper, there are no more significant settlements before arriving at the Palace of Birdsong. Various travelers pass by in either direction, farmers are farming, and people go about their business.

-----

As evening falls you arrive at the heart of the County. Situated on the banks of Lake Stavian, and named for the Lotheed family, Lotheedar is the largest town in the County of Meratt, and supports a variety of industries from lumber and brewing to trade and smithing. As Taldor is a bastion of civilization, the largest temple in the County is here - the Grand Bank of Abadar.

The Lotheed family adjudicates the town's affairs, and owing to the nobles' historically solid stewardship of the Stavian family's land, they're generally respected here. Much of this is owed to the leader of the Lotheeds' day-to-day affairs, Sir Gul Gusairne, a half-elf who has served as the Lotheed family's seneschal for two generations. Gul has long ensured that a hefty share of the taxes the family collects has gone into the town's upkeep, and as a result Lotheedar is one of the County's most well-to-do settlements, although it's not exactly wealthy.

Emilia has her own opinions on the man, but from a purely factual recounting of events Sir Gul is a harsh man, who enforces compliance with a hard hand. It is not unknown for those opposing him to have unfortunate 'accidents', or for their property or lands to be confiscated for back taxes when others are given more generous repayment terms. Many go to the head cleric of the church, Archbanker Lady Paril for intercession, and in many cases she has sided with the common people.

The town's most popular tavern, the Count's Cravat, has space for you to stay the night before heading to the Palace of Birdsong at first light.
If you want to do anything in town, let me know. Otherwise in the morning it's off to the Palace, as well as introducing Bohemond's new PC!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:07 am

"An interesting character, this seneschal" Mercutio muses. "I do not think I will like him very much."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:37 am

Emilia nods to the waving peddlers. One of them is a smith whom she's seen in a pinch, to have something, beyond a whetstone's or hammer's dreams of resharpening or reshaping, repaired. The other is a monger of magic whose finery and some of his trinkets bear the same craftsman's symbol as the one on her cloak.

"Few do, my lord. Hard man, and not many women fancy his boorish charm, so I don't see that changing anytime soon."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:03 am

Come the morning, you make your way to the Palace of Birdsong. The entire palace is vast, rambling, and magnificent; one of the few places in Meratt preserved in its original splendor. The two-story palace is built around a central gallery containing all sorts of entertaining space and offices, with a large grand ballroom in the east wing, along with a west wing for noble apartments and visitors. In addition, a tower rising behind the west wing contains royal apartments exclusively for the use of the emperor and his family - in theory, at least. It hasn't been used for that purpose in living memory.

What you encounter on your way in are the lush palace gardens that extend for over a mile in every direction, consisting of flower gardens, low hedges, fruit and nut orchards, and vineyards. A number of swans and peacocks roam the ground freely. These birds rarely attack visitors, but they tend to follow alongside people, honking and calling to demand handouts. A dozen outlying cottages for guests line the western edge of the property, each a well-appointed, cozy affair with three rooms.

-----

You pull up to the front drive, containing fine laburnum trees blossoming with yellow flowers flanking the drive leading up to the palace, with a large fountain and several statues providing ostentation. You are the the only people arriving, and you are met with an astonishing array of guests, nearly 40 altogether, all being fussed over by an army of servants sporting bird masks. There are also guards stationed around, but their livery looks to be of a fancy parade nature, rather than girded for battle. Bartelby has hired additional staff, and the normally quiet palace throngs with chatter and laughter. Numerous entertainers - ferret-jugglers, fire-breathers, stilt-walkers, and other amusements - keep guests occupied as they arrive.

You see a man you recognize from the description as Count Bartelby Lotheed is speaking with another adult human, this one dressed more humbly than the other guests, perhaps some sort of monk? Upon seeing new guests, the Count breaks off his conversation with the monk and approaches warmly, the monk amiably staying in the area. Servants approach to unload your baggage.

"Well met, newcomers. I am Count Bartelby Lotheed, steward of the County of Meratt, landgrave of the Hyden Marches, and tribune of Lotheedar. We understand you are the new heirs to the Betony lands. It is quite the honor to be our new neighbors, we're sure."
Go make a first good impression! ;) I can also do Skill checks depending on how you are handling things (Sense Motive to feel him out, Bluff / Diplomacy to talk about yourselves, etc.).

Also, the Roll20 Map now points to the Palace. You're near the middle of the screen (H1 - Front Drive), approaching the 1st floor from the south. The bottom half of the screen is the 2nd story. The interiors are blacked out, since you haven't been inside yet.

Also, slightly in the background is our last new PC. Welcome to Bohemond!

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 pm

Brother Bertram bows slightly, but lets the other, more eloquent, members speak. He observes Bartelby to get some assessment of the man.