Book 2, Act I: Songbird

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Book 2, Act I: Songbird

Post by Zorbeltuss » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:36 pm

Mercutio would need to ask someone about this "Night Swan", the name sounds intriguing, almost bawdy, but not quite so, more like the sort of courtesans some nobles might pay exorbitant sums for their discretion.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:44 pm

With the crisis averted, Bala finds a moment to talk to Emilia. "For future reference, I would suggest trying to bond with Baroness Voinum over horsemanship. She seems to enjoy that more than aristocratic gossip."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:19 am

Feast of the Victor

This being the evening of the first night, the ballroom is laid out for feasting, the formal dining room being too small to accommodate 40 guests. The meat for the feast is first paraded live before the hungry guests by servants dressed as sheep.
Perception checks: Failed. A few of the guests squirm in their seats at the crass theatre, but no one in particular stands out as being particularly disgusted.
During your seating, Titus Lotheed-Casava loudly chastises your assigned jester, Purple Finch, for obviously not providing you all a room with washing facilities or clean clothes. He is wearing freshly cleaned clothes after the jousting, along with a hint of expensive cologne.
As a reminder, Emilia beat Titus in the semi-finals of the Joust. Otherwise you haven't interacted with him in a significant way.
1) Please decide how you are going to respond to this jab (ignore, mock, threaten, etc.).
2) You will have 2 Social Rounds before the next event. Instead of Influencing, you can use your action to search out Rumors or Gather Information (as general approaches, those aren't in the Social Combat Guide. So specifically searching out more information on the Night Swan could absolutely be a possible choice for an Action.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:33 pm

Emilia gulps down her disquiet and looks straight ahead until the costumed servants are gone. The nobility get their own share of silly ideas, but this is downright ghoulish.
-

In response to the barb aimed at Finch, Emilia says, "Shaming a fool for being a fool, Titus? What an odd way to stomach your loss. Like returning after a fruitless hunt in the woods to kick a dog in the kennels."
(If he brings up her own loss, she is quick to find value in the silver cup again, just to parry Titus - who won nothing.)

After that, she takes Bala's suggestion and decides to reapproach Baroness Voinum to discuss the wins and losses of the joust, and to fish for tips on how to adjust her own posture on horseback.
First round at dinner: Influence the baroness using the "Ride" skill.

Thanks Bohemond, I probably wouldn't have tried it if you didn't nudge me.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:05 pm

Mercutio's interest in the Night Swan was mostly based on the fantasy -likely fantasy- that it's a young and comely lady, mysterious and alluring. Which even he reasons is unlikely to be true, so he shrugs it off.

There were other things he needed to know, like which personages he needed to know, about and/or in person. What weaknesses Bartleby might have worth exploring...although he could hardly ask directly about it, he needed to ask open questions and then guide the answers into conversation, that worked better once the wine had flowed for a while and he needed to avoid letting the drink go to his head, a skill he was fairly proficient in, chasing skirts had thought him several useful things.

Although all this work did create a craving for fun, the opportunities for asking a serving girl, often it was a matter of having to try several, about the temperature in their quarters, it must be cold at night, yes? Usually those opportunities came towards the end of the eve.
I think 2x gather information.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:27 pm

Emilia tosses back a barb at Titus, comparing his actions to kicking a dog in the kennels after a fruitless hunt. A useless and cruel action, blaming others for their failure. A number of the nobles roll their eyes at the petty fighting, while others look on with approval at Emilia standing up to the bully.
Disapproval (Count Lotheed): -1 Success
Approval (Baroness Voinum, Tribune Onora: +1 Success
Having seen Emilia give back as good as she got has warmed Baroness Voinum to the Dame. She is disciplined and proud, and has no patience for the petty games of the Court. If similar had happened in the Phalanx, she would have thrown down the gauntlet and proved herself bodily upon the strutting peacock. Nobody under her command would have dared such puffery. She is thus finally willing to truly sit down and bond with Emilia, finding common ground. She is still a stiff and rough person, but less actively unfriendly.
Emilia: Influence Checks vs Baroness Voinum (Ride): 21, 26. Both Successes, so +2 Influence Successes.
- Voinum moved from Unfriendly to Indifferent
Mercutio hits the rumor-mill, hitting up a cute serving girl who is delighted to be paid attention to by the Betony Heir. As all peasants do, she sees more than the nobility assume they do, or if they do see, the nobles assume they don't have the brains to understand. She shares some dirt on one of the Barons that are abusing their power, and because the Night Swan is on everyone's mind, some juicy paranormal tales on the source of who or what it truly is.
1st Gather Info gets you a Rumor:
Rumor #5: "Baron Telus has stopped tending to his duties and lets his townsfolk loot as they please; it's disgraceful! Count Lotheed should've stepped in to put a stop to this years ago, but I guess he doesn't care so long as Telus' little bandit army leaves his lands alone."
- Telus Estate if area N on the main map, with the Ruins of Jambis as area M.

2nd Gather Info:
Rumor #4: "You kids today are too young to remember, but the Night Swan is clearly the spirit of Lauchlein Lake! Count Lotheed stopped sacrificing virgins to appease it like his father did, and now it's hunting in the county again."
- See area G on the main map., the lake east of the Palace of Birdsong.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:32 pm

Great Halfling Dog Charioteers

After the feast, servants clear away the tables and chairs and - to the fanfare of trumpets - six halflings dressed as Taldan heroes of lore enter, riding in gaudily painted miniature chariots each pulled by dogs. Servants rush to lay out a race course as the drivers perform japes and buffoonery for the wildly laughing aristocrats.

The rules for the chariot race are very simple: the halflings race about the ballroom three times, dodging a series of obstacles on the way, while the guests look on and cheer their champions. To spice things up, each guest is given colored powder to hurl at racers in an attempt to blind them.
Ranged attack to hit the driver, or a higher AC to temporarily blind the driver (the satchets count as improvised weapons).

1) Do any of you participate in the 'festivities'?
2) Regardless of your participation, you have 1 Social Round before the final event for the day of 'Dancing and Cards', so feel free to declare your action there too.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:35 pm

Emilia ignores the chariot race and picks up where she and Voinum left off. She expresses disappointment that the Jubilee features no contest of arms on foot, as she would have relished a second try at knocking said peacock on his arse. From there, she branches off to fringe topics.
Sense vs Voinum for her Strengths. I think I'm starting to see a strategy with figuring these out.

Onora might be of more use to Gather Info about the Night Swan, given that she runs a tavern as a side hustle. She is also an official crimefighter, but as she said before, matters closer to home have been taking all her attention.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:19 pm

Bala makes his way towards Earl Yander Merkondus, the visiting merchant. Given that most of the nobility seems to focus on their own kind, and Emilia seems a better match to bend the ear of Lady Voinum, the monk figures the merchant may be less concerned with titles.

"Greetings, Earl Merkondus," the Vudrani says with a polite bow. "I am known as Bala of Jalmeray. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Are you here for the festivities, or is this a happy coincidence of conducting business?" The monk tries to engage in some light banter about traveling to feel out the Earl.
Bala will use Sense Motive to discover Weakness.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:19 pm

Mercutio cannot help himself but gladly partake in the fun, throwing powder at the drivers. In the more quiet moments, when not contemplating how to get a serving girl into his bed for the night, he does seek to have his curiosity about the host sated.
Blind the driver!

And out of ideas, so more gather information about the host this time.[/B]