Book 2, Act I: Songbird

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Book 2, Act I: Songbird

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:14 am

Emilia hitches her horse and tails the party after they exit their carriage, leaving behind her lance and doffing her helmet as she goes. She hands over her arms to the servants with the rest of her baggage, helmet included, and keeps her sword strapped and sheathed on her hip. When in front of the Count, she waits her turn to speak.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:50 pm

"Good Morning, my lord," Astraea states, observing the required formalities. "I am Astraea of House Clement, and these are my companions, Brother Bertram and Mercutio Vernisant, as well as a new acquaintance, Emelia of Hartbrook."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:21 pm

The Count responds warmly to Astraea's observation of the proper formalities. "Lady Astraea, welcome to Meratt then, you and your companions. Are you the new heir of the Betony lands? If not, could you please introduce the fortunate person. I am aware of the reputation of Dame Emelia, you are in good hands with her around."

He gestures to the Palace. "Welcome, please make yourselves comfortable, get to know your new neighbors and the other guests. This is a time of celebration." He takes another look at Astraea and the group, as though weighing you in his mind. "I would be an ill host if I did not offer the full hospitality of my House to such personages as yourselves. If you have servants they may of course stay in the outlying guest cottages, but you are welcome to stay in the Palace apartments instead."

Further guests ride up, and he politely excuses himself to continue his duties as Host. That leaves you with the rest of the guests, as well as the monkish looking person that the Count had previously talked to.
Astraea - Diplomacy Check = 28, Pass!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:45 pm

Emelia dips her head to Bartelby when named, and flashes a proud grin at the compliment. When he goes, she takes note of the foreign fellow who observed their exchange with the Count. She steps closer to give the rest of the group a chance to break away, if they wish.

"I see that the jubilee has drawn visitors from afar. Well met, sir."
New PC, welcome!

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:35 pm

The stranger steps toward Emelia in response to her greeting. His attire is clean and in good condition, perhaps a little more vibrantly colored than the formal wear more familiar to Taldoran sensibilities, but this seems more a matter of its wearer being accustomed to such garb than any deliberate attempt to draw notice. Both his head and face are clean shaven, and he wears a contented expression with smiling eyes as he bows politely before the cavalrywoman.

"I must confess, I came to Taldor several months ago, to teach and learn, and was unaware that my sojourn would coincide with the Jubilee and ... other events that have occurred of late. My apologies, I am sure you have no desire to be tortured by the ramblings of a Vudrani when you haven't even had a chance to enter the palace. I am called Bala of Jalmeray," he says, giving a second bow that is both an introduction and an apology. "Unless I misheard our host, you are Dame Emelia. It is my honor to meet you."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:49 pm

Emelia looks puzzled by Bala's first bow as much as the second, and judging by the blank look, his origins have gone right over her head. "Likewise... It's just 'Emilia' among friends, please. And lest you misheard the greater part, then it is my pleasure to introduce the Lady Astraea, and her companions Lord Mercutio and Brother Bertram, whom I'll be attached to for coming weeks."

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:42 pm

"That would be most kind Lord Bartleby." Mercutio has done his best to look dashingly fashionable, but of course, out of touch with the more conservative sensibilities of his kin, his mother tried to instill into him the value of building a wardrobe that was "classic" and "timeless", she really was the last to give up on instilling any values into him, not counting the military disciplines they had enrolled him up for.

"I am Mercutio, of the House Vernisant, at your service".

Count? Was he not just the steward of the county? Food for thought.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:59 pm

Bala bows politely to the guests accompanying Emelia. The man introduced as Lord Mercutio seems interested in talking more to Lord Bartleby, so he replies to Emelia. "I am grateful to be considered a friend. Attached? I hope that isn't something that prevents you from enjoying this gathering. From what I see, there are many exquisite things, but it appears there are more people here working to provide the for the festivity than actually partaking in it," he replies in a calm, relaxed voice. "Are you from this region of Taldor?"

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:58 am

Emelia smiles. She spares a glance toward the others, who appear to be comfortable taking a backseat. Perhaps meeting and greeting other guests, or hitting the buffet? Presently, the lancer's stomach threatens to make her appetite audible.

"Indeed, I am from these parts. I grew up a country filly on my father's horse ranch. My older brother joined the Phalanx, and later I joined the levies in a land feud in my father's stead. Took one of the pitchforks. He was very irate with me when I returned by the grace of Aroden. But I kept it up, traveled, fought, and my antics were noticed by the cavalry. And here I am, I've been 'riding' with the Taldan Horse ever since, so to speak. And you? How does Meratt compare to your homeland? This is the first I've heard of a land called 'Jalmeray'."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:41 am

Going to push things forward a bit more forcefully since this is PbP rather than Live, since it can easily get bogged down otherwise. If you feel I rush anything, please let me know. Happy to give you as much opportunity for roleplay and accomplishing your goals as you please.
Out in the courtyard you are free to wander and chat while sampling fine local white wines, cheeses, and jellied calves' feet. Much of the early discussion around you from the arriving guests is speculation about when, or even if, the reclusive Duke Lotheed, Bartelby's uncle, will arrive.
But shortly after you get your first fill of food and conversation, the gong in the Grand Ballroom area sounds to gather attendees for an event.
H7 on the Map. I've moved the PCs to there.
Opening the main double-doors leads into an opulent grand hall. The walls are an almost unsettlingly pure white, and are decorated with portraits and four carved columns supporting the ceiling. A soft, plus carpet provides traction on the shiny marble floors. The four marble columns are carves in the likenesses of Abadar, Aroden, Cayden Cailean, and Shelyn, and the ceiling is painted wiht a fresco map fo Taldor, representing the pillars of faith that support the nation.
H4 on the Map.
The guests are lead through the eastern hallway, leading to a giant room that is partially partitioned. Nearest is what appears to be a well-stocked library, containing detailed works on a wide variety of fascinating subjects.
H6 on the Map.
The greater portion is clearly the Grand Ballroom. This massive, open space is tiled with marble and painted in rich, warm colors. Ten-foot-tall windowed doorways stand in the north, and plush benches line the east and west walls. The ceiling here is 40 feet overhead.
H7 on the Map, as I said previously.
This first event is the Meratt tradition of assigning a personal assistant to each visiting group: a jester to act as the guests' guides and announcers, leading the guests to events, and generally attending to their personal needs. The person assigned to you is a female human named Alista Cragus, although she goes by Purple Finch - a flautist from Lotheedar trying her best to be funny. She arranges for your personal effects to be moved to the guest rooms in the Palace, and explains the jubilee's schedule and informs you that you have several hours to prepare for the afternoon's tournament.
Much as during Act 1 of Book 1 in the Senate, you have a certain number of Social Rounds between Events (you usually won't know how many). Unlike the Senate you don't have to Influence any Areas, you just have to pick which individual you want to be working on, either directly or indirectly. I've spread them around the room to make it easier to see them, and arrange yourselves besides who you're working on at the moment.
- All of the People in the Book 2 "Important People" Thread are here, in addition to 3 others:
--- Earl Yanker Merkondus: A wealthy merchant from Moda.
--- Lady Lucretzia Marthane: A cousin visiting from Cassomir.
--- Lord Titus Lotheed-Casava: Another visiting cousin, although he is also followed by two hangers-on - Dame Carodd Hellebore and Syras Cockleburr, Esquire.

I suggest you re-read the "Social Combat" OOC Thread. But in summary:
Discovery Checks: A discovery check allows a PC to learn either one of the skills she can use to influence the target or one of the target’s biases, strengths, or weaknesses.
Influence Checks: An influence check is an attempt to make a good impression upon or gain the respect of the target. PCs must attempt a skill check using one of the skills listed in the target’s Influence entry; they can either determine what those skills are via a successful discovery check or guess based on their target’s reputation. A successful skill check against the listed DC counts as one
success, indicating growing affection or respect for the PC.

Purple Finch will remain a companion throughout the Jubilee to provide context, directions, and answers to simple questions.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."