Book 2, Act II: Scion

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:39 am

The Betony Estate stands atop a low hill overlooking the nearby hamlet of Stachys. A cobblestone road that switchbacks down the hill connects the estate to the settlement. The Estate itself is a fine, if faded, two-story building. Brambles and thick undergrowth crowd the gardens, while ivy creeps up the marble facade. The building's windows are shuttered, and its main doorway barred and gripped by a great iron padlock. A tower - clearly far older than the main house - rises from the structure.
Changed the Map to the Betony Estate, so you can start exploring it. This will be a relatively swift exploration, as this has place has been abandoned for most of a generation.
The iron padlock looks to be of average quality, but the difficulty of picking it isn't relevant as the documents that Martella provided include a key. Onora Piscum lets you know that she has a spare as well so she can inspect the house once every couple months or so to watch for looters or squatters - not that these have been a problem, as everyone in the area knows that the restless spirit of Lady Allis Betony still haunts the former home. Tribune Piscum rolled her eyes after sharing this, noting that the locals love to tell anyone who will listen about the ghost, and the haunting is a favorite topic of discussion in the Stachys tavern.

She reassures you that the only strangers she sees regularly are three mangy cats that have taken a liking to this place, and absolutely no ghosts, poltergeists, or shades. To save you time, she lets you know that the locals would tell you that as a child, young Allis was never entirely reliable. While she was sweet, she often spoke to people who weren't there, and this pattern continued as she aged. She never married, and in her last decade she became a recluse, living alone in the house. Locals claim to still hear noises and see lights in the windows some nights, and the few people who tried to loot the house have been battered and beaten by unseen hands. The Tribune thinks these are complete fabrications, or excuses when the would-be thieves turned on each other and wanted to blame it on the supernatural.

She peels off to go to the village to resume her duties, leaving you to explore and settle into your new Estate.
Astraea - welcome back!
And everyone, go ahead and upgrade to Level 5! :D
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:30 am

Emilia brings her hand up to touch a holy symbol that bears the Eye of Aroden. "Who would like to do the honors?" Her reticence suggests that she pays heed to the rumors that their new demesne is haunted.
If you were wondering, I know he's a dead god.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:08 am

Emilia sees no one else taking the job, so she herself opens the door and goes in. The ground floor is easy enough to navigate and explore. The rooms likely had specific purposes when it was lived in, but the rooms are relatively empty at present, and can be repurposed to any use you see fit. Fine features such as frescoes and statues in remarkably good shape still adorn each room. Even after a decade of sitting empty, the manor's roof doesn't leak, the interior hasn't peeled, and even the remaining furniture is fairly dust-free thanks to being draped in canvas. A single table of roses continues to prosper in the conservatory (A15, west side of the manor).
Appraise or Knowledge: Engineering checks. Using whichever you are better at.
Astraea: Engineering check = 17+5 = 22, Success.
Emilia: Engineering = Nat 20! 20+8 = 28, Great Success.
Mercutio: Appraise = 14+9 = 23, Success.
Bala: Not trained in either, no roll.
Everyone except the monk comes to the realization that something is not right here. Tribune Onora claims she only stopped by every month or two to make sure nobody had broken in. She didn't mention performing any maintenance. So unless she just forgot to mention it, the only logical conclusion is that the house is clearly being maintained, though it is unclear by whom.

After exploring the ground floor, there are two choices for further exploration. The wide spiral staircase going up to the second floor, or the narrow steps down into the basement.
This is the list of the original purpose of each room on the ground floor. You can feel free to repurpose anything to your desire.
A1. Foyer
A2. Garden porch
A3. Drawing room
A4. Game room
A5. Music room
A6. Kitchen
A7. Pantry
A8. Parlor
A9. Dining room
A10. Lower tower
A11. Servants’ quarters
A12. Lavatory
A13. Guest room
A14. Bath
A15. Conservatory (i.e. a greenhouse)
A16. Guest room
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:42 pm

"Structure seems solid, and in remarkably good repair. There is far less for us to do than I anticipated." Having taken an unanticipated, but necessary, absence, Astraea was glad to have rejoined the others and now joined them in touring the estate. "I vote for upstairs first. Make sure it's clear and then deal with whatever we may find in the basement. I reckon if we run into trouble, it'll be down there."
Last edited by Othniel on Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:43 pm

"Seems like a good idea. At least we can jump out the windows onto the bushes," Bala says with a calm smile. "Should I go first?"

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:33 pm

"Allow me, my lords, my lady." Recovered from her apprehension, Emilia advances to the stairs to put her armored body between the party and whatever they find.
I chose spears when selecting Weapon Training 1, may I swap my guisarme for a spear +1/Masterwork?

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:44 pm

"Ladies first, then?" Mercutio quips, he does switch roles as easily as others switch socks it seems, although he does try at least once to employ his flirty flair towards any woman in the party, to gauge their receptiveness to it, he only turns it on fully whenever observed by anyone else. He does seem to enjoy the act a little too much for it to be purely an act, nor does he quite care if this might be something any enemies they make along the way, but perhaps, if the game gets serious and big enough, he should consider the possibility of making them send their pretty little spies and make sure that such birds cannot learn anything of value.

Then comes the intriguing question of what they are supposed to do with this manor and it's lands. Somehow he doubts it commands the wealth to support daily orgies.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:42 pm

"Ha, it is ironically fitting," Emilia replies over her shoulder to the jest as she ascends. "I hope you aren't affronted."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:21 pm

The upstairs seems to have been the master quarters of the previous nobles occupying the Betony Estate. It looks just as abandoned with aged or ruined furniture, but also seems just as mysteriously free of rot and dirt as the ground floor.
Adding the upstairs room original designations.
A17. Landing
A18. Library
A19. Bedroom
A20. Upstairs bath
A21. Master suite
A22. Upper tower
A23. Lavatory
I'm thinking of simplifying the 'Kingdom Management' section of the AP. I would love to have your feedback.

The mechanics of the 'Agents of Change' actions (see OOC Thread for details) are pretty crunchy, and may not be enjoyable for your play-by-post experience versus live tabletop play. We can either do that, or when I ask for 'Persona Phase' actions, you can just give me a guideline of what you want to accomplish using your Agents. You could even name-drop an Operations name, but we would ignore the character progression side of your Persona and your specific # of agents available.

What do you think?

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:40 am

Taking up the rear, Astraea followed silently after, her bow drawn. Just in case.
Yes, please. I love Pathfinder, but every adventure path has its own little "widget" that sometimes gets a little tiring, particularly in play-by-post format.