Don't Leave the Path, 2947

Smaug has been defeated, the Battle of Five Armies has been won, and Bilbo has returned to the Shire. But much danger still remains, and from the Orc-holds of the mountains to the dark and corrupt depths of Mirkwood a darkness waits, recovering its strength, laying its plans, and slowly extending its shadow…

Moderator: TalesftCards

TalesftCards
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TalesftCards » Wed May 22, 2019 4:24 pm

Nam curses to himself at the sudden intrusion, then locks his grey eyes on the large Man. He seems remarkably free of fear, although seemingly put out by Guldem's presence.

"This place is my own, as is my business. Sharing my fire does not entitle you to share all that is mine! "
Nam remains seated, staring at Guldem.
Rolled for Awe. Got a 7 against TN of 14. Even with hope, this wouldn't be enough, so you probably won't be able to get him to talk through intimidation alone.

carlosm88
Level 2
Level 2

Post by carlosm88 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:23 pm

Guldem sighs. He doesn't like dwarves, and there is something off about this one. But just pressuring him won't work, which means he is forced to change tactics.
Guldem sits downs and attempts to put a friendly smile on his face. "Do you like songs my friend? I know many."

They say that change tires the heart
What is once held will now forever be longed
For what today is tomorrow will not be
Because one thing is true
The changing of things is the only thing that never changes
Except for me my love, as I will always be the same.

And so, one by one, my kin sails west
To change what cannot be changed,
To live in lands that cannot change,
so that their hearts can be forever stilled
But mine is still with yours, and that is something
I cannot change

And so as the Ships turned to their westward destinies
My love waved them goodbye,
for she needed nothing to change to avoid the tiredness of heart
As you see my friend, her heart was already still
With the beating of mine.

As Guldem finished singing he turns to the Dwarf, eager to see if he would be more friendly now....

TalesftCards
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TalesftCards » Thu May 23, 2019 7:16 am

Nam's look of abiding suspicion slowly falls away as Guldem sings, and it is almost as if the merest hint of youth returns to his weathered face, if only for just a moment. After the song ends, he looks thoughtfully at his hands.

"Truth be told, I was never much for singing myself. But my father said that a song, much like a gift or insult, should always be returned in kind."

Guldem sings a short tune in a gruff voice:

In the deep of the fells,
Blue are my dreams,
Long spent are the spells,
And crimson the streams.

"Now then, would you gaze upon my loot, as you so deem it?"

Nam grabs one of the nearby sacks and upends it so that its contents clatter to the hard ground. There are all manner of odds and ends, from tools to half-broken toys to old bones.

"Dwarves are makers in their hearts, but my path has been a far more woeful one. Nam is my name, but my fellows have also dubbed me Carrion, for the way in which I make my living. Scavenging. Gathering. Collecting. Yes, I see your distaste even now. But those such as I will live on long after warriors and wizards and lords have spent their blood on battlefields."
Guldem rolled a 16 and a great success using Song. Due to the in-depth song, I rolled twice on the feat die, taking the higher result. 16 was enough to open up the stubborn Nam to discussion.

carlosm88
Level 2
Level 2

Post by carlosm88 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:11 pm

“You sound like you know something” Gulem speaks, sounding worried. “Why are you going back home? What are you running away from?”

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Euric and the others return to the camp the the large Beorning looks around at the pile junk. He glances at Gulem and Nam and shakes his head. Could have used them in the fight.

He says nothing for a while listening then when there is a break he chimes in, "This is Baldor and his son, we are taking them west in the morning." He doesn't offer an invite nor demand they join.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TalesftCards
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TalesftCards » Fri May 24, 2019 5:49 am

"What I know is a tale as old as time. Peace only endures for so long before strife returns. I hoped to peddle my trinkets in Lake-town but the merchants there are haughty, far more haughty than they should be from having their town reduced to ashes not long ago. There's one particularly nasty soul there, goes by the name of Ornolf. Had his men practically toss me out of town. Not much I could do about it as many of the other powerful men in town seem to be in his pocket or under his shadow. So off I go back home. It's not worth it to stay around where I'm not wanted."

It is then that Euric arrives at the strange stone structure, having tracked Guldem's passage through the grass, and interrupts their conversation to tell of the errand with Baldor and his son.

carlosm88
Level 2
Level 2

Post by carlosm88 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:30 pm

"Thank you, friend," Guldem says. "This is information may prove useful." While saying his thanks to the dwarf, Guldem tries to hand his true feelings. It was very irritating how hard it was to get this guy to talk... damn dwarves and their secrets.

"Jobs like this I seek," Guldem turns to Euric. "Jobs like this I take."

gandalfDK
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Hunter

Post by gandalfDK » Sat May 25, 2019 8:26 pm

After collecting the stuff they left behind, Grimbold returns to the group and they all turn in for the night. Early next morning, Grimbold gets roused by the sound of a roe deer snuffling through the fallen leaves on the edge of the camp. Grimbold rises from the ground and the roe lifts her head. Grimbold looks at it and the deer stares back. After a short stalemate, it walks off slowly and quietly.
A good sign, Grimbold thinks. A good day.
He decided to wake the others.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." - Haldir, Lothlórien, Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Sorry I think I lost track of just where we were, such a long gap between. Thought we were all back at the orginial fire.

Posted about Journey Roles in the OOC. Also will take Grimbold as my Fellowship Focus
When the morning arrives he checks on Baldor and his son, he makes breakfast and then breaks camp. He is ready to travel and hour after the sun rise. "If we are heading west, we should get a move on. Fill your water skins here before we leave."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TalesftCards
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TalesftCards » Wed May 29, 2019 8:15 am

The companions set off for their journey in the early light of morning. Baldor explains his plan:

"I have a friend among the Elves of the woods. I don't think I have to tell folks such as you of the dangers of Mirkwood forest, so friends in such places are worth their weight in gold. My friend has promised me safe passage through the Elf kingdom. From there, we can travel the rest of the way through the forest, then south to Woodland Hall. First, we must travel to the halls of the Elven-king. What say you to my plan, friends?"