Don't Leave the Path, 2947

Smaug has been defeated, the Battle of Five Armies has been won, and Bilbo has returned to the Shire. But much danger still remains, and from the Orc-holds of the mountains to the dark and corrupt depths of Mirkwood a darkness waits, recovering its strength, laying its plans, and slowly extending its shadow…

Moderator: TalesftCards

TalesftCards
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Don't Leave the Path, 2947

Post by TalesftCards » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:48 pm

The journey begins in earnest through the dark forest of Mirkwood. At first, the company is in good spirits after their time of relative peace and safety with the Elves. However, soon the oppressive silence and darkness of the forest begins to wear on even the most cheerful of dispositions. Baldor chatters away in his normal way for the first few hours, but soon even he falls into a moody quiet.

The first days and nights occur without incident, although the days are filled with strange noises emanating from both sides of the path, and the nights see the company surrounded by strange eyes beyond count. Even the hearty Beornings of the group begin to feel a wearing in their bodies on day four, a tiredness that seems more difficult to shake than mere fatigue. Finally, at midday, the company finds a spot on the path to rest.

Euric volunteers to take watch while the others rest their eyes. After about half an hour of listening to his comrades drowsing, Euric struggles to fight off his own weariness. As he does, a cloud of purple butterflies descends from the trees onto the slumbering companions. As they land, a strange sound emits from the butterflies akin to a strange lullaby. Soon, they completely cover the members of the company, leaving no room to breathe. Euric shakes his head, trying to shake off the lullaby that pulls his eyes closed.
Everyone in the company is currently asleep except Euric. Euric must make an Awareness test. You can also tell me one thing you'd like to do, but you only have a very short amount of time before the unnatural sleep claims you. Also, all company members failed their fatigue rolls, so you must add your encumbrance rating to your fatigue.

gandalfDK
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Hunter

Post by gandalfDK » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Did we regain our fatigue at the Elven halls or how does this system work again?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." - Haldir, Lothlórien, Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:48 pm

We should have had a long rest with the elves, and be back to full at this point. Prior to the current situation.

Its not winter, so +2 from the Fatigue from Traveling Gear
Euric yawns, he gazes up at the blanket of violet and indigo that is coming down from the canopy of Mirkwood. He yawns again, eyes drooping. This can't be natural. Shaking his head to try and stay away he reaches over and attempts to smack the closest sleeping companion. "Hey wake up!" He slaps himself again if he has already fallen asleep.
I'll call on my Hardy Trait to stay awake. If that doesn't give me an Auto Success, I'll still call it for a bonus on a die roll to stay awake, and spend Hope if I need to to make the roll.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TalesftCards
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TalesftCards » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:20 am

Euric is able to stave off the unnatural sleepiness with great effort as he tries to shake Grimbold awake without sucess. Failing that, he grabs a large branch from the ground and begins shaking it at the butterflies on the ground. They begin to flee from the violent swings, flying back up into the branches above. In a few moments, there is no evidence left of the swarm.

After another hour or so of impatient waiting on the part of Euric, the rest of the company finally begins to stir and wake. The company continues their trip through Mirkwood, hoping to make up time before another night falls.
I gave Euric a bonus with his hearty trait, which was just enough to meet the TN of 16. This means that Euric was able to fend off the butterflies and prevent the company from accruing even more fatigue. The journey continues but I'll pause here as a natural break if anyone wants to engage in some conversation or do anything else before the next event.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:00 pm

Once the group is awake, Euric explains about the butterflies. He isn't so sure about it, but decides he better warn the others in case more of the creatures descend on the fellowship. There is a hint of embarrassment to his tale, he is a large Beorning warrior after all, and was put off by some butterflies!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TalesftCards
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TalesftCards » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:47 am

Another few days of travel passes without incident, although it is difficult for any of the company to truly relax or feel at ease even when at rest. Light begins to wane on day seven of the journey, and the forest that is already gloomy during the day is beginning to drift towards the complete darkness of night. It is then that the narrow forest path opens onto a wide grassy clearing. There is a stream of fresh water on the edge of it, and there is a pleasant air about the clearing--pleasant not normally being a word associated with Mirkwood.

"I believe this clearing may be used by the Elves as a gathering place...or a place of merriment perhaps," Baldor offers. "We probably could not hope for a better place to camp."

Young Belgo seems to agree, as he immediately throws himself down on the grassy floor, seemingly ready for slumber after a long day's travel.
What would you like to do now? You may camp here or push on to find another spot. If you choose to camp, let me know who is taking watch during the night.

gandalfDK
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gandalfDK » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:30 am

This seems like a good place to take some rest and refresh our supplies. As the Elves use it too, it should be safe, says Grimbold.
I could take watch if we all agree to stay?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." - Haldir, Lothlórien, Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:25 pm

"As good a place as any, if this is some elf ring it may keep the denizens at bay." The Beorning sets to making dinner for the company and having Baldor help him. "Your boy is a good kid, but Mirkwood is hardly a place for young folk. I wonder if, when this is over, he should stay home next time you make this trip." The Beorning will join in the watches, taking the first or the last, but he's tired and is not interested in the middle watch which he happily let's Grimbold take.

TalesftCards
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TalesftCards » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:01 am

Baldor looks unusually thoughtful at Euric's words.

"Perhaps you're right. I only wish our times were kind enough that I could leave him in safety. I am all that he has since the night the dragon came..."

Baldor trails off before clearing his throat and excusing himself.

The first watch passes without incident, as Euric watches the company sleep. As always, the hundreds of eyes can be seen surrounding the camp, but this time they are farther away, as if the clearing is holding them at bay.

During the second watch, Grimbold stares into the darkness when he hears a stirring from the direction of the company. Baldor stands up near the edge of the fire and rubs the sleep from his eyes.

"Bad dreams," he mutters to Grimbold. "Dreams I haven't had in a season. I need a drink of water to clear my mind."

He heads over to the stream on the edge of the clearing, its waters dancing in the bright moonlight. Baldor kneels beside it and drinks for several moments. When he stands up again, he seems somewhat wobbly on his feet. As he approaches Grimbold, he seems to be in a daze of sorts. When he catches sight of the Beorning, he seems to come to himself, but his eyes are burning with fear and panic.

"What? Who are you? What have you done? I must get back to Lake-town. It's burning! I must find Halla and Belgo! Why have you taken me? We must return, you rogue!"

gandalfDK
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gandalfDK » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:04 pm

Grimbold is startled by the sudden episode Baldor finds himself in. He tries to reason with Baldor and to calm him. "Easy, easy, Baldor! Its just the magic from the water, you are having a temporary memory loss, calm yourself. I'll explain when you calm yourself. It's just me, Grimbold, and we are here to protect you." Grimbold sees that Baldor is lapsing into the past and he must prevent Baldor from slipping away too far in the spell the water has put unto Baldor.
Calling on Insight to recognize Baldor's state of mind and finding the right words to protect him.
If this doesn't work, I will write another post where I use a GandalfvsBilbostyle Awe. Or wake the others and maybe they can reason with him.