Book 1: Chapter 1 - A Game Afoot in Stormreach

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 1: Chapter 1 - A Game Afoot in Stormreach

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:10 am

Image The mysterious continent of Xen'drik is a massive landmass that exists south of the continent of Khorvaire, beyond Shargon's Teeth and Thunder Sea. It has recently begun to be explored by agents of the Four Nations in hopes of making profit from the relics found there amongst other natural resources.

Hidden within the wild and untamed land are the desolate ruins of the ancient Giant Civilization. After battling the Quori the Giant Civilization was destroyed by the Dragon population of Argonnessen when they attempted to use their highly advanced devices to put down a elven slave revolt.

Aerenal Elves trace their origins to Xen'drik in the long forgotten past.

Xen'drik is now a continent mostly inhabited by drow, and degenerate Giants. It is a wild and untamed place with fabulous eldritch machines along with unimaginable treasures. It is still largely unexplored.
As soon as I saw the gnome, I knew trouble couldn't be far behind. It was only the merest glimpse of her, a flash of green somewhere out there in the lawless, jostling crowds of Stormreach's Harbor District, but that one glance was all I needed. I had most definitely not been looking for an adventure, not in this place. In the few months since my arrival, I had adopted the habit of keeping my head down and my hood up, covering the elven ears and blonde braid that attracted too much of the wrong kind of attention.

Even Mordimor clinging with a badger's tenacity to my shoulder seemed to elicit fewer stares than the sight of an unaccompanied woman, clearly neither pirate nor whore, walking these seedy streets. Life in Stormreach had taught me to keep my head down, my clothes baggy, my stride masculine, and my dagger close at hand.

But upon sighting that familiar, unmistakable green hair, I didn't hesitate to push through the hot spaces of the crowd to verify what I already knew instinctively. I had not seen Shess, nor any of my Breland friends, since we parted soon after docking in in Three Barrel Cove just north of Stormreach. The excited knot in my gut and the recklessness with which I made my way toward her-one knife-armed fishmonger threatened to gut me for treading on his bootless toe, and only a warning hiss from Mordimor backed him off-had undermined the lie I told myself whenever thoughts of my friends should intrude upon my work. I had missed them. It was that simple, and that honest realization felt like the first salve of comfort in a long summer of exile.

I also felt trouble in my bones, and the sight of Shess confirmed it.

She was marching with girlish enthusiasm at the head of a gang of some of the worst -looking wharf dogs I had ever laid eyes on. Even in a city that, in places, is little more than extended shore leave for the most nefarious, notorious, and downright depraved seamen in all of Khorvaire, Shess and her pack stood out. "Out the way, bilge drinkers!" Shess wailed. She had changed one set of outlandish finery for another since the last time I had seen her, clamping along in heavy hobnailed boots beneath the rough-cut hem of billowy silk pantaloons dyed a vibrant crimson. In contrast, a suit of corseted leather armor snugged and shaped her torso to exaggerated effect, calling to mind the sort of thing you might pay extra to see in the back room of a Lhazaar Principalities' temple. In her tiny fist she brandished a battered tricorne hat, and at her waist she wore the same short sword I had seen her use to such deadly effect when last we were in Sharn. Her face was red from
shouting. " Make way for the Char Street Clippers, you bunyip-lovin' sons of seacows!"

Two Hours After Breakfast, Wir, 11th of Aryth, 998, 2 years to the day after the signing of Thronehold Treaty.

It has been a little over two weeks since you officially became part of the Grey Company. Over the course of that time you've done all the necessary things asked of your to orient yourself with the policies and procedures of the company. There is a shocking great number of them, it seem Val'trith likes his i's dotted and his t's crossed. You've gotten a full tour of the Tower, at least of those areas open to your clearance level. You've even met most of the staff, and some of you have migrated to living in the barracks on premises.

Today is the two year anniversary of the Signing of Thronehold, which ended the Last War and set the world on Khorvaire right. You aren't on Khorvaire however, this is Xen'drik and the celebrations lack parades and the festivals are closed off in their small districts as all manner of factions and nations are present in Stormreach and not all of them get along. Still, the Grey Tower has veterans of the Last War and there is some pomp to be found, and the Drunken Shifter is open with its easy supply of Kurveya Gin.

You've been waiting for something to do, something exciting besides the occasional brawl that Benmarrow starts in the tavern. Maybe just maybe today will be that day.

A concept shot

You can find the map layout:
https://brennor.dyndns.org/rpg/Forums/v ... =6795.html
2 Years Ago Today:

Thronehold On 11 Aryth 996 YK, the signing of the Treaty of Thronehold formally ended the Last War, bringing a century of bloodshed to a close. As might have been expected, the day has become an important holiday celebrated throughout the Five Nations. It is a new holiday, celebrated for only the second time this year. The Lord Mayor of Sharn intends to hold one of the most extravagant celebrations ever seen, and tourists and celebrants are likely to attend from across Khorvaire.

In Stormreach, smaller private festivals are held, the various factions (some in exile) see today as less of a holiday and more of a somber memorial. Still, there are celebrations to be found.
Welcome to the game! We start officially with your own thread. You can expect the others to make appearances and RP from time to time, but this is now your game. I welcome Wayloss, Eilandor, mackaber and flelm to start posting.
Last edited by Vardaen on Fri May 30, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Re: Chapter 1 - A Game Afoot in Stormreach

Post by Eilandor » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:39 am

After a little over two weeks of nights most of which were spent at The Drunken Shifter, Fletcher has come to recognize most of the regulars. He can't speak to the quality of food or drink but has taken a liking to listening to the tales and other conversations that take place.

With all his paperwork dealt with along with lessening his duties with the Iron Watch, Fletcher strides into the Drunken Shifter on this being the two year anniversary of The Treaty of Thronehold. Making his way to his usual bar stool Fletcher partakes in his newest hobby...people watching.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:07 pm

Shard, having no where to stay in Stormreach promptly moved in... To the Library, the generalist warforged has no need for sleep and a bunk in the barracks holds little appeal to him. He spends his time in Arcane discussions with Val and other casters, he works with his spell shard but is currently short cash to enscribe to it, he hopes work is forthcomming. He misses battles in the drunken shifter as alcohol is pointless to him, he does find himself there for conversations as meetings often get moved to the bar for "thinking" juice. Shard does not understand this coloquialism as he can clearly document rational thought inhibitted but still enjoys the antics.
Shard notices Fletcher arriving and joins the other Warforged in observing interactions.
"Fletcher, I find it agreeable that your duties allow you to join me here."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:20 pm

"Shard! How are you tonight."

Turning back to the crowd, "Isn't it fascinating? The more they consume, the more confusing they become. I often wonder why one would inflict themselves in such a way."

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:29 pm

"I am, satisfactory. And I believe they consider it "fun". I believe i could impart a similar experiance for us with a confusion spell.... Although i would not recommend it" the warforged imagines much carnage in the bar with two confused warforged.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:28 am

The inactivity for the last two weeks was a bit unusual for Werz, but actually he didn't mind after years of traveelling, running from authorities or rivals clans and fighting wars just a bit of downtime actually felt quite good to the shifter. And anyways there were a number of interesting things to be done in and around the grey tower, while the drunken shifter wasn't really high on this list Werz did visit it today for no other reason than to have something to eat.
Big Pimpin...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:58 am

As the new recruits of the Grey Company enjoy another relaxing moment in the Drunken Shifter, their conversation is interrupted by the arrival of Colonel d'Orien. The commander of the Grey Company comes into the tavern with a purpose, looking around at the people gathered there. He's wearing finer clothes than is typical for him. Usually he's in a simple outfit of a linen shirt, cotton trousers, and a stylish vest. Today, however, he has a proper doublet on, what looks certainly to be a silk shirt underneath, and much less casual trousers. Those more observant will also notice that he's recently had his hair cut and has clearly had a proper shave today.

After a moment or two, his eyes light upon the four troubleshooters and he heads over. "Excellent," he says, with no preamble. "I was hoping to find a couple of you here. I hadn't expected to find you all." He pauses just long enough for a breath before pressing on. "Something has come up and I think it's just the right thing for Strike Team Siberys." He uses the name he's given to their troubleshooting group within the Company. "I'll be briefing you in the planning room on six as soon as you four can get up there. Vacation is over everyone. You've got your first assignment."

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:57 am

Werz shoves the last fork of food into his mouth and rises still chewing clearly intent on getting to work right now.
Big Pimpin...

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:34 pm

With no food or drink to finish, Fletcher simply needs to head to the planning room.

Turning to the other three, "Field work! Let's go..."

flelm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by flelm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Gred has been sitting in a corner of the Drunken Shifter, his mug filled with milk. Most of his time since joining the Grey Company has been spent either in prayer, reading some of the books in the library, training, or sitting and drinking as he is now. When Val walks in and addresses him and the other new members, he nods, tosses back the last few sips, and heads to the meeting room, giving Val a short bow on the way out.
Sorry, bit of a busy week. I'll be back to normal Monday