Book 1: Act 1 - We Left The Path

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: The Spider's Castle

Post by TetNak » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:42 am

Aerth nods, "I suppose," he says, not particularly pleased with letting Varuthil try to cut the man down.
I have Bow 2, and Long Hafted Axe 2. My Athletics are also 3.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Wren looks at Varuthil, "Do be careful."

Drawing his bow and turning to Aerth, "Let us be ready..."
FYI: I have Bow 3 and Athletics 3.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:29 pm

As the group looks up at Baldor hanging there the plan starts to come together. Bows and arrows are drawn, and all eyes are at the wall. There does appear to be a second option as you study the scene. From Baldor is strung a sort of bridge of webs from his spot to the crumbling tower to the right. It might be possible to climb up the broken tower from the inside, there are even stairs peeking out from the ruin, but then its a long exposed walk over the web bridge to get to Baldor.
You can climb right up to Baldor, its Athletics, 3 checks, with the possibility of falling for a failed check, or you can try to take the stairs and then Stealth it over the webbing.

Everyone has Stealth 2.

Varuthil seems to be the choosen one, let me know and post starting your way.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Aerth nods to Varuthil, holding his arrow close to the string as he waits for something bad to happen. He finds it unlikely the spiders have abandoned their next meal.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:25 am

Varuthil looks over at the ruined tower, considering it as a route up, but decides that she has no idea what lurks inside it. Simply climbing the tree seems the safer and simpler route. Trusting the others to guard her back, she begins climbing up the tree to where Baldor is, keeping an eye for any spiders who might spring out at her.
Athletics check. How high up is he? It seems like if a fall is short enough, it makes more sense to try climbing again than spending Hope to negate the fall.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 am

Wren does not care to see Varuthil in such a vulnerable position, but it has to be done. He continues to scan back and forth between their surroundings and Varuthil's progress, bow ready if needed.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Rescuing Baldor

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Varuthil doesn't dare the tower, who knows what might be hiding in there. Instead she sneaks forward to the wall of the castle where Baldor is hung from. She was hoping to use the trees, but they won't reach and she'll have to climb up the thirty feet of the wall face. It isn't and easy climb but its the only way up.

She rubs her hands together, the others in the tree line, bows at the ready. Then she jumps up a few feet grabs a hand hold and scales the first third of the wall without a second thought. The nimble wood elf keeps moving, almost slipping when a piece of the wall crumbles away, but she keeps moving quickly and quietly before pulling herself up to the top of the wall. Within reach now of the hanging Baldor Varuthil looks around from the top of the wall, and down below on the far side of the wall she can seen many more webs, some filled with spider egg sacks, and deep shadows all about. There must be spiders near, but for the moment she's not drawn their attention.
This is a prolonged action requiring three Athletics tests.

Varuthil Athletics 3 vs TN14
10ft: 23 Success
20ft: 16 Success
30ft: 20 Success

Nice.

Will require a bit more to pull Baldor over to you and cut him free.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Rescuing Baldor

Post by TetNak » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:51 pm

With his shepherds bow, Aerth pays attention to what is going on around them. He will not let the female elf be attacked by spiders without giving the foul creatures something to thing about.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Once at the top of the wall, Varuthil carefully moves along it to where Baldor is hanging. Trying not to let the worry about the spiders eat at her, she starts to reach out for Baldor, then thinks better out of it. She pulls out a pair of gloves, puts them on, then reaches out again--better the gloves get stuck to the spider webbing than her bare hands. Trying to move gently and carefully, relying more on elven grace than strength, she swings Baldor's case over to the top of the wall, then reaches up to cut it free from the branch its hanging on as she lowers it to the top of the wall. Once she has it settled, she draws out her dagger and begins to cut Baldor free.
However many Athletics checks are necessary. Spend Hope on this if necessary, because it would really stink to drop Baldor thirty feet to the ground while he's completely helpless.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:08 am

When a portion of the wall crumbles Wren nearly abandons his post and runs over but after a step or two he realizes she now made the climb. Wren exhales an audible sigh of relief and resumes his watch duty.