Book 2: Act 1 - Words of the Wise

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Book 2: Act 1 - Words of the Wise

Post by TetNak » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:45 pm

Aerth looks at the leader of the hunt, the half-elf has found solace with his newfound friends and finally coming back here. He has been far less reserved as he was in Laketown. "Well," he starts, "Did you see me in the Field of Heroes?" Aerth smiles, realizing he is being boastful. "I suppose I can hunt, scout, or do anything you really might need. I can even play with the hounds if they are feeling down," he jokes.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:05 pm

"There's no doubt Pipkin is good with a bow," says Varuthil, "but hunting involves more than being good with a bow--you have to know how to track and the find the game first, something I profess no great talent in either."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:05 pm

"Aaaye," says the dwarf. "You performed well and didn't run off into the forest nor jumped down any holes. I thenk yer getting better at it. One of these days, you might even be half as good as meself."

Borir pats his thigh as he laughs at the statement and then says, "Just kidding, Aerth. I'll sharpen those arrow tips and that axe of yours once we get back to town."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Wren smiles when Borir makes reference to jumping down a well. "Uh, we don't like to speak of that incident..."

Reflecting a moment on Amalric's request, "I know my way around a bow yet my hunting skills are rudimentary at best. I can be quiet when needed or athletic and nimble enough to race through the woods."
Hunting: 1
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Amalric listens to the fellowship speak of their skills and he worries perhaps he's been fooled into thinking this group would bring glory on the hunt to him.

His younger brother smiles however and is far less gloomy than his older brother. "Sounds like we have a great team here. At least the dogs like Aerth." He moves up to the lead and starts the group heading out of the town through the hedges and into the forest.

Heva, the lone female Woodmen looks impressed at Pipkin. "You've killed the black spiders then? Not an easy task, they are dangerous. Luckily we don't see many of them down this way since the Necromancer was defeated. You'll have to tell me your story of your battle with them."

As you move to the edge of the cleared land for Woodland Hall Amalric has the dog's leashed, to prevent them from scaring off prey prematurely. They strain at the unwelcome restraint, but Thorismund and Amalric hold the leashes tightly. You plunge now into the forest.

Your Woodmen companions move with grace and are silent as they walk, speaking no more, and only gesturing to one another with hand signals. Evoric searches for signs of tracks, while the hounds are directed to search for scents of anything worth hunting. The undergrowth is dense to either side of the path that the party is following.
I'm back.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:06 am

Varuthil follows behind the Woodmen, moving as silently as possible, unable to follow their hand signals, but nonetheless trying to take her cues from them.
Welcome back! :D I gather from the vacation thread you had a good trip.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:39 pm

It has been a decade since Aerth hunted with his kinsmen. It has always been an honor. The half-elf moves alongside the others, quiet as possible, he now says nothing. The dogs will make all the noise, he realizes, but still, he would not want to make it so that a poor footfall scares away game.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Wren has never had the need to hunt for his food so with Woodland bow in hand, he tries to shadow Aerth as they move through the woods.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Stag and His Deer

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Hunting: The best you had was a 9 from Pipkin who has 0 Hunting! Sad sad dice rolls.
The group moves with what stealth they can manage along the tracks and paths. Eyes opening for signs of prey the group isn't the best of hunters. Borir perhaps got very lucky last time as this time he chats more about his first boar than is focused on the trail this early out.

Amalric calls a halt to the group and points at the ground. "Look here, a set of tracks, deer tracks." He circles around and tests the mud and checks for signs of fallen pollen on the trail, "Perhaps an hour old, no more for certain. Come." He silently strides off down the game trail moving for a bit. Eventually the tracks lead toward a clearing up ahead, and he gestures for everyone to stay back while he has a closer look. Dropping to all fours he crawls forward to the underbrush that rings the clearing then slowly returns.

"There are some deer and a stag. The four of us will go for the stag, while the rest of you get as many of the deer as you can." His companions (Heva, Thorismund and his brother Evoric) quickly agree with him at this point, but that doesn't mean you have to give him to him so quickly.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Stag and His Deer

Post by Trogdor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:41 pm

"I thought those might be tracks," Pipkin says in an aside to Aerth. "But I wasn't certain. Next time I'll be more bold." Otherwise, he tries to show his best in this situation, having no real idea what's expected of him.