Book 2: Act 2 - Summer with the Woodmen

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Book 2: Act 2 - Summer with the Woodmen

Post by Muskrat » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:32 pm

Tet, I don't think it's widely known that the Wizards are anything but long-lived, wise men. I think only a handful of the Wise, like Elrond, Galadriel and Cirdan, have a clue about the true nature of the Wizards.
Varuthil looks at her companions, then back at Radagast. "I don't think we had any definite plans, Sir. I have been learning some of the Woodmen's herb lore so that I may be a better healer. I was planning to go back to King Thranduil's realm eventually, but it is certainly not urgent."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:15 am

"Agreed, if you need us, Radagast, I shall answer your call." Aerth tilts his head slightly, wondering what task the old wizard would have them perform. "This place has grown special to my heart, but I feel the pull of the road again."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:19 pm

Borir grunts a confirmation of the others and then pours Radagast another mug of ale while Pipkin decides its time to light up his pipe and sit back. "I only want to venture up to the Easterly Inn and visit with Dody and refill me pipeweed." He smiles wide.

The Brown Wizard takes the mug from Borir with a kind nod, "Well that is very good to hear, you know these lands are dangerous, and the Woodmen work hard to fight against the shadow that is in Mirkwood. The Orcs of the mountains were defeated in the Battle of Five Armies, but you can see they are not gone from this land. All good people must unite to keep the darkness at bay." He downs his mug, "My home is in Rhosgobel, to the south, and my tasks keep me there often. It is rare I can travel too far abroad, and I have need of eyes and ears in the woods of Mirkwood and beyond. I have many helpers, birds and beasts, but some times I need news from the mouths of Men. Do you think you can assist me in this? Bring me what news you have, of dangers but of good deeds as well; like the sharing of herb lore that Varuthil is doing, if you share with me I can share with you and all the Wilderland can benefit."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:33 pm

Aerth nods along with what Radagast is saying. He let's the old man finish, consider for a few moments before speaking out himself. "Is there any specific place you would like us to go, Radagast?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:35 pm

Varuthil has no hesitation. "It would be an honor to aid you, sir." When Aerth asks his question, she nods at his words.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Borir knocks on the table, "I'm no messenger boy, those days are long behind me." He swings down some ale, "However, I agree, we can pass along any news or information we have to you. I assume you might do the same for us then?"

The Brown Wizard smiles at the dwarf, "Of course Master Dwarf." He looks to Aerth, "No my friend I do not have any place in mind right now. All of Wilderland is at peace, a watchful, dangerous peace. These Orcs from out of Mirkwood worry me greatly. They were from Gundabad by the look of them originally, perhaps stuck in the Mirkwood after the Battle of Five Armies, but perhaps not. If the Woodmen, and the Beornings are to prosper we can't have Orcs coming down from the mountains again. I had thought them mostly defeated, but we can see that isn't so." Then he taps his nose a few times as if remembering something.

"Actually, you can save me a trip if you have the inkling. I was going to head up to a new little inn up north, called the Easterly Inn, run by a family of Hobbits of all things! A friend of mine will no doubt pass through the place on his way about on his errands. I have a letter I was going to leave there, but you could deliver it for me, makes sure the ostler knows to hand it over to him should he been seen. Think you could manage that for me?"

Pipkin's eyes light up, he was hoping to venture there again, refill his pipeweed and spend time among Hobbits once more, so without thinking he blurts out, "Of course!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:04 pm

The half-elf nods, "We have been there before," he says, "So we know the way." Aerth looks at Pipkin and smiles slightly, hoping Borir does not get too grumpy at being a 'messanger'. "I could be ready to leave today, if the others can do the same." He let's the other group members speak for themselves.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:16 am

Varuthil nods. "I can leave today as well. It would be interesting to see how the inn fairs--the owners are brave folk for starting it up in this region." Foolhardy perhaps, she thinks to herself, but still brave.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Borir grunts, "I need a few days time. That's a long trip and I have irons in the fire, litterally, over at the forge."

Radagast nods, "That's fine, take your time, it is a long trip, you'll need supplies and food stuffs, and perhaps I'll write a bit more since I'm not going myself now." He stands up from the table. "I need to speak to Ignomer about a few things. I'll find you all in a few days when you are ready."

Pipkin leans back and produces his pipe and starts to smoke, "Come have a pipe with me Mr. Radagast if you like, I'll be here for a while still."

"I may do that Master Brandybuck, I may." The Brown Wizard then takes his leave, collects his hat and staff and heads out of the hall.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:30 pm

"I will make ready, then," Aerth says to the others. He nods to everyone in one gesture and makes his way through Woodland Hall where he has been saying. For the rest of the day, he will prepare for his departure. Aerth moves about the town, finishing his last bit of business before heading for the Easterly Inn.