Book 4: Act 1 - Kinstrife & Dark Tidings

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

A Meeting of Wizards: May 28th

Post by Shurijo » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Borir spits on his dwarven hands and grasps the handle of his axe. With a forceful swing, but not one too strong which could damage his sharpened axe blade, he brings it down upon the frightening artifact.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:52 pm

Gandalf shakes his head, "It was a tool of the Shadow, I will say that. Who could make such a thing I would have to only venture guesses. Could be ancient, could be new. Since the Necromancer has been driven out of Mirkwood perhaps it was some old relic from among Dol Goldur that has made it out into the world. Perhaps its something more. Stay vigilant Varuthil, but not at the cost of enjoying the little things in life. Remember what you fight to preserve."

Borir spits on the his hands and then with an overhand chop he splits the head in two. You swear you feel, more so than hear, a mournful sigh go up as the head is split.

Radagast points at it, "Again Borir."

The dwarf chops it again and again into a score of pieces. The Brown Wizard then sweeps them up into a gunny sack and tucks it away. "I shall see it burned this night outside the walls of Rhosgobel."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:05 pm

Finn is glad to see the deed so easily completed. "Master Radagast," he looks to the Brown Wizard, "There is a young man here named Oderic who could use your advice perhaps. I'll let him tell you his history, but he has come along with us just for a short time. He needs some wisdom for his future, as he has gotten a new start, so to speak. As for the rest of us, we would be glad to rest here a few days, but I don't think we don't plan to stay long, unless you have need of us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 pm

Radagast nods to Finn, "I will speak with him tomorrow then."

You realize it has turned late, and the sun is down and the moon is up. "You are welcome to stay here as long as you like, when ever you need. The same cottage you used last time is available to you this time as well."

Gandalf's pipe has gone out, and he's cleaning it out and putting it away. "I think its a good idea that we all retire for the evening. Radagast, give me that." The Grey Wizard takes the sack the head is in, and offers his good-nights to you and then heads out to finish dealing with the head -- through fire.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:10 pm

Varuthil is somewhat disappointed and surprised the wizards cannot tell her more about the head. She nods at Gandalf's words, though she more hears the part about being vigilant than enjoying the small things in life. She looks at the others and says, "I would say it is time for us to turn it. We can decide what we want to do next in the morning, when our minds are fresh."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:24 pm

"Thank you," Aerth says to the wizards. "Your aid is much appreciated."

It was obvious, of course, but Aerth wished to state it anyway. There were few words of encouragement in the world. With that, Aerth finds a place to place his head and drifts off to sleep.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Rhosgobel: May 29th

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Morning arrives and the shadow of the strange head is lifted from Varuthil and the rest of you.

Rhosgobel is up and busy an hour before you are. Sleeping in seems a worthy pursuit after all you've been through. Breakfast is filling, and you are out wandering about the settlement.
I feel like we are finished up here?

We can maybe post your desires for your next step but then move into the Fellowship Phase from here.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:23 pm

Finn seeks out Oderic to find out if he's spoken to the Brown Wizard.

"So Oderic, have you had a word with Radagast? Did he welcome you here among the Woodmen? If you want chances to prove yourself and learn from the Wise, I cannot imagine a better place. That being said, there is surely much opportunity in Esgaroth, and you would be welcome to come along with Tom and me. That is, I do plan to make the long trek through Mirkwood over the Elf-path. I would like to visit my family again and bring them news. Surely by now they do not know what has become of me."
Ready for the FP. Up to you V whether you want to keep Oderic among the Woodmen and perhaps we'll cross his path again, or put him out in Rhovanion, where I imagine we may not see him (unless we have adventures take us over there). XP/AP spent, sheet updated. I think Finn will go with the others up to the Easterly Inn, then continue on...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:00 pm

Oderic has had time to speak to Radagast, "I have spoken with him, he's a strange man isn't he? I get the feeling he is old a wise beyond his years, but he's also childlike at times. A very curious person." Oderic is dressed in some clean clothing, new ones, "I have decided to stay here. I love the Anduin Vale, and leaving for Lake-town seems so far away. I'm eager to start over, and something about this place calls to me. I hope we might see each other again if you come back this way."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:16 pm

"I'm sure we will my lad, I'm sure we will. All the best to you here." Finn nods and goes to find the others, wondering what their plans are.