Book 2: Chapter 1 - Curse of the Lady's Light

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:42 pm

ImageStormreach
The mysterious continent of Xen'drik is a massive landmass that exists south of the continent of Khorvaire, beyond Shargon's Teeth and Thunder Sea. It has recently begun to be explored by agents of the Four Nations in hopes of making profit from the relics found there among other natural resources.

Hidden within the wild and untamed land are the desolate ruins of the ancient Giant Civilization. After battling the Quori the Giant Civilization was destroyed by the Dragon population of Argonnessen when they attempted to use their highly advanced devices to put down a elven slave revolt.

Aerenal Elves trace their origins to Xen'drik in the long forgotten past.

Xen'drik is now a continent mostly inhabited by drow, and degenerate Giants. It is a wild and untamed place with fabulous eldritch machines along with unimaginable treasures. It is still largely unexplored.
ImageThe Dark Continent of Xen'drik

One week after collecting the Shard of Greed

Its been a week since the group collected the Shard of Greed out of the bowels of The Crow. The Crow is one of a ancient pilings that holds up what is left of the ruins of the Giantspan, a massive bridge in Stormreach that leads only to the sea. Where it once went, in eons past you don't know. From that ancient dungeon the Shard of Greed was collected, and returned to the Grey Tower where Val'rrith d'Orien provided you with an ioun stone to neutralize the curse on the Shard.

Life has slowly returned to normal for the company of four members of the Grey Company, and for one new friend displaced by time and powerful magics. Over the course of the week ailments have been tended, armor has been repaired, gold has been spent, and for Jay he's undergone some tests to see if he would make a good new fit for the Grey Company and vice versa. It would seem this is the case for he has been offered a spot among the Grey Company, all he must do now is accept it.

One Shard may lead to another, the Shard of Pride lead to the Shard of Greed, and the Shard of Greed should lead to the Shard of Lust. Until this point no one has dared to use the Shard of Greed to locate the next one in the cycle for fear that once its used you will have to set out at once. Everyone needed this little break, but the break has come to a end. Its time to get back out there, its time to find the next Shard.
Welcome back to the next chapter!

I'm not done with intro posts so please wait to reply for a bit.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:55 pm

The group has returned to the tower after their time away. Its time to use the Shard of Greed and to set the group on the path to the next recovery. Val'trith has called the company back to one of the planning rooms on the second floor of the Grey Tower. Katrina d'Orien, Chief Information and Intelligence officer of the tower is already present. You know she was a university friend with Val the Company Commander, and holds one of the highest ranks in the organization. And accomplished wizard herself, she has an interest in the Shard and its powers.

As you arrive one by one she greets you with polite words. Her hair seems to float about as she stands there, as if some unseen wind tugs at it constantly. "Welcome. I am pleased to see you could make it. Unfortunately Val'trith can't with with us right away today, so I thought I would get things moving. If he has time he will join us later. How do you all fare? Well I hope because you'll need all your wits and skill about you if you are to continue on this path the Shards have set you on."
You are in Room #5

This level serves as the main meeting area for clients of the Grey Company and an area to discuss assignments for members of the Grey Company.

1. Spiral stairway
2. Meeting area
3. Overlook to main hall
4. Office
5. Planning room
6. Store room
Information on the Shards can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=721&t=8595&p=328143#p328143

Welcome to the game, you can post your last weeks activities and we can get moving. Remember to finish the loot, buying, and spending of Prestige if you want.

Fame and Prestige: viewtopic.php?p=328159#p328159
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:28 pm

Oloven stands in the planning room, once again wearing his familiar full-plate armor. He has given up the jewelry and fine clothes. They were nice, but not really his thing. In his mind, he recalls the last week. He had not done much for the rest is really what he needed. Through pain comes strength, and there was plenty of pain to be found in The Crow.

When he wasn't resting, Oloven could be found in the temple of The Sovereign Host. It was only fair that he thank those who give him the power to protect his companions. On top of his prayer, Oloven had also spent some time roaming the streets of Stormreach offering free medical aid to those in need of it.

There would also be a couple times he would be spotted perusing various shops. It was probably best to save the amount of change he has accumulated thus far. At least until he had a better idea on what he actually needs. He did buy one item, however. A new longsword made out of cold iron.

Oloven snaps to when Katrina begins to speak. "A weeks worth of rest is just what the doctor ordered." He smiles and runs a metal gauntlet through his hair. "To be honest, I can't wait to be out adventuring again. As great as rest is, it lacks the danger and excitement."
Would like to buy a Masterwork Cold Iron Longsword (base price of 330gp) and Sell Old Longsword (base price of 315gp)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:44 pm

Katarina smiles, "Good to hear Oloven. I was speaking with Val and we worked out a scroll for you to have. It is a great deal of information to remember. We called in a few favors for some of this information, and Val'trith even had to teleport back to the Morgrave University on Khorvaire to gather some of it. Do not loose this, or let it fall into the wrong hands."

She unrolls the scroll on the table for you to see, then suggests someone pack it away someplace safe.

I added this to the Shard Resource Thread as well

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:58 am

Zeevan spends the week training with anyone he can get ahold of. This is both for improving his fighting performance, as well as to get to know the rest of the Grey Company better. He basically showed up for a job interview, got accepted, and send into the Depths. He has a week to socialize as best he knows how, and takes advantage of it. He also takes the time to upgrade his equipment, to better be prepared for the battles ahead.
Upgrading my primary weapon with Flaming, and my secondary weapon with Menacing (so if I'm threatening an enemy, any allies 'Flanking' increase their bonus from +2 to +4!). Upgraded my Armor from a +1 to a +2, and got a Ring of Protection +1. Along with my new Dodge Feat, I've got +3 AC going into the next Adventure!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Scout89
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Gadgeteer

Post by Scout89 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:33 pm

After only two days of rest made Helion bored. He grew tired of sleeping at the Shifter as his people used to sleep in the plains under the stars. He and Shakti spent the rest of their down time exploring the city and its outskirts, but they avoided any conflict as they would soon set out again. "Good to meet you, milady. Shakti and I were eager to get back to the field. We're not used to sleep under a roof, you know."
A.K.A. Tvrod.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:49 pm

Katrina nods to Helion, "Yes you were one of the recruits that Benmarrow brought in correct?" She nods when that's confirmed. "Don't worry I've been part of the Grey Company long enough to know that rarely do you get much down time. Enjoy the soft beds while you can, I have a feeling the next venture you won't get to sleep much at all, under the stars or not." She looks at the door as if expecting Val to walk through there. "To hell with him, let's get things started. He can join us when he has time." She walks across the room and puts a hand on Oloven's shoulder. "Shall we see where the third shard might be?"

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Oloven nods and reaches a hand inside his newly polished armor and reveals the black adamantine shard. "So I just focus, correct?" He says before closing his eyes and focusing on the shard.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:42 pm

Oloven takes the shard out and holds it in his hand, the curse was lifted when the small ioun stone was placed in it, and now it acts as a boon for the cleric along with a loadstone for the next shard. Holding it, he focuses on the Shard, and on the 'next shard'.

Unlike the other one that just sort of tugged at you, this time you watch his closed eyes flicker and move, he staggers back a step as a vision is planted in his brain as he focuses on the shard.

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Oloven, eyes still closed, seems to be focusing hard on the vision in his mind. Without opening his eyes, he begins to describe what he sees. "I see a towering statue of a beautiful woman holding aloft a stone scepter, standing atop a bluff surrounded by a tangled seaside swampland." his eyes remain closed for a little longer before they open. "That is all I can see".