Character Creation

This is the OOC Forum for the Oaths of the Riddermark game.

Moderator: Wbweather

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Character Creation

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:01 pm

For this campaign, I would suggest all characters be Riders of Rohan although if you feel strongly about using another culture, let us know what your thoughts are and we will see if we can work it in. Let's have everyone who is interested post here and I will get character sheets sent out (using Google Sheets).

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Character Creation

Post by Othniel » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:19 pm

I am interested! Not sure what I want to make yet. I don't want a character TOO similar to the Shieldmaiden I'm finishing up for the WotR game.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Character Creation

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Interested, will certainly play as a Rider!

HunterGreen
Level 2
Level 2
User Class: Hunter

Re: Character Creation

Post by HunterGreen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Forth Eorlingas! I'm fine with being an Eorling and since I can think of so many possibilities that are equally enchanting, I will hold off to see what other people come up with, so I can make something that fills in any gaps that emerge.
Join our Discord chat for TOR and AiME: https://discord.me/theonering

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:45 pm

I'm in of course. Half-Hobbit, Half-Dwarf Haradim Sorcerer Rinbearer!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:23 pm

Oh, by the way, each of you has done something of merit to draw the attention of King Thengel. Come up with something interesting in your backstory that you can share once we get started.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:30 pm

I'm thinking a character that specializes in Horseback-archery; with Lookout or Scout in the travel role, and good at Song, though no minstrel or anything. Haven't figured much else yet, and may change it. Let's hear what others are thinking.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:12 pm

I just got a fun idea. But, I'd need you to also think it a good idea, WB... and everyone else really. I wouldn't want it to be annoying.

My PC would be twins, I'd take the Cultural Virtue, "Esquire." I'd have the twins essentially play as one PC and the esquire NPC. But there could a running joke of not being able to to tell one from the other. Mechanically it would make absolutely no difference, only in the story. I'd name them in such a way that they could use the same nick name, too. That way there wouldn't be confusion there for the real players; they'd just refer to my PC by that name. It wouldn't matter in the end which "twin" was the PC, they'd probably switch off, blame the other for doing poorly, and generally create fun banter.

Let me know what you think.

I'm still leaning toward the horseback-archery/scout thing.

Also, this isn't in the rules, but at some point do you think I'd be able to have a Hawk/Falcon, and it be basically the same as a Dwarves' Ravens of the Mountain virtue?

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:35 pm

I have two ideas bouncing around in my head: A man of Rohan, and a man of Minas Tirith. The man of Rohan would take either the Grandson of the Doorward the Fey and Dangerous background and the Slayer calling. He would be focused on keeping the orcs at bay from the east and dunlendings from the west, as well as guarding his king from intrigue.

For the second idea (depending on where the adventure goes), I'm a little torn. I kind of like the idea of a Horseman in a Stony City meeting folks from Rohan, getting curious, and asking them if he could accompany them back. Perhaps he's interested in horse trading or has his eye on a pretty young lady in the king's retinue?

I also like the idea of a Master of Healing. Perhaps he or she healed someone the king cares about, bringing them back from the brink of death, and is now in Rohan as a guest of the king to share their knowledge of healing-lore, and who now gets caught up in the politics of the Riddermark.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:06 pm

Shoot, now I'm thinking of a totally new idea. Basically, think Turin, someone trying to escape a curse or a dark past; he'd have a helm, be good with a sword and bow; I'd make great use of the "Ominous Blessing" Cultural Virtue. He'd still act as a Scout, I think. As much as I like the idea of the twins, I feel this could fit better with the theme of Oaths. The twins would fit better in a Hobbit-focused game, I think.