Chapter 2 - Dark of the Moon

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:18 pm

March 5th, 2960

You have gathered back at the home of Ealduf, Reeve of the King to await your instructions foe the delivery of the weregild to Ulfúr’s father. The last couple of days have been spent relaxing by some, seeking solace by others and for Istril, the woman of Gondor, proving her worth to the people of Rohan. There was some sadness with Eodir’s announcement of his intention to return home. You shared drinks with the lad in honor of his bravery and wished him well.

As Ealdulf enters the room he looks you over in a way that suggests he knows very well how you have occupied yourselves over the last two days.

“Welcome back, I trust you have rested well. I see your number has decreased by one. No matter, this task should not be much of a challenge after defeating a troll’, he smiles at you. “I have a pack-horse carrying Ulfúr’s share of the gold as well as 600 pieces of silver as weregild. I am entrusting this animal yo your keeping.” As he says this, he points to Sangric.

“You will deliver the treasure to Ulfúr’s father, Lord Héamarh of Brocdene in the eastern part of Nan Curunir. I would suggest that you head west today and consider taking your rest tonight at the steading of Léofold and Merwyn. This farmer and his wife are renowned throughout the Westfold Vale for their hospitality and their home is well fortified, lying near the road that leads to the Deeping Coombe and Helm’s Deep.”

“From there, you may continue to follow the road until it forks at the village of Grimslade. At this point, your journey will take you off the road and along the eastern edge of the valley of Nan Curunir, wherein lies Isengard and the Tower of the White Wizard.”

“Should you make no delay at Grimslade and ride directly north, towards the foothills of Methedras, you should find the valley of Brocdene by late afternoon tomorrow. My advice is that you do not tarry at Grimslade as the Lord of the place, Grimborn, Grimulf’s son, is a roaring stump of a man who does not grant hospitality as readily as others.”

He looks at your group. “I think that after your last mission, this should be fairly straightforward. Try to smooth things out with Héamarh. This is a time to foster unity between the folk of the Mark. Do you have any questions before you leave?”

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:22 am

Istril had spent time with the horse-herds, trying her hand at the care of horses where she had previously tended to Men. The experience had been exhilarating, working out-of-doors in the cold, and she had enjoyed the adventure.

Now the Gondorian womanl had rejoined the others in time to bid Eodir farewell, and to listen to the Reeve's instructions. "I have one question, my lord," she said to the Reeve, deferentially. "I do not know of the Héamarh of Brocdene, but do we go to encounter the same kind of trouble as with his son?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Hereweald had considered joining Istril among the riders, but decided that it would be best to leave her be, and for her to earn her respect without some possibly perceived aid from Hereweald. So he decided to go where he rarely goes, to the courts of men. Drink and food, and plenty of songs were to be had, and that he much enjoyed. Eventually he found himself chatting with one of the Golden Hall's loremaster, an old man known as Birger the Rude. He was a mystery of a man, for his moniker seem to fit, but he was very sociable and enjoyed to hear tales and songs and to tell them as well. Yet his stories were vulgar, or down right offensive, and he could not be offended himself. A few cunning insults later, and Hereweald and Birger had hit it off. Drinking and laughing, talking about things hardly appropriate for courtly life, the hunter and the loremaster soon grew to appreciate one another. Hereweald demanded that he call on Birger again, some time, and Birger, after several rude comments about Hereweald's mother agreed. The two laughed, some times drunkenly, some times soberly, at the foibles of others. Eventually the songs of Hereweald had run their course, and he was summoned back by the Reeve, "You aren't off the hook yet old man!" He cursed at Birger and returned to his duties with the fellowship.

I know some of the land near to the Vale of the White Wizard, but not the lands inside the vale. Yet, I can guess at the weather, and I think even at this time of year we should be safe enough traveling our own lands. I would ask, who knows we do this? Such a prize may bring out bandits and brigands wishing to steel the wereguild from us, it is not a small sum of coins you have us moving." He sniffs and looks at the smaller company, wishing later to hear how things went for Istril.
Birger means "one who helps" in Old Norse :)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:27 pm

"These details are helpful to know, shall make our journey easier. We are of course, willing to do this, Eadulf."

For a moment Torwin pauses, then completes his thought, "But I must ask, why was Héastan not given the task to bring the news and the gold to his father? Or at least Ulfur's men? And Héamarh, what if he is not satisfied and wants to speak to the King, wanting more details of his son's death -- should we say that he can come here and request an audience?"

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:01 pm

Ealdulf turns to Torwin, "Héastan is hot headed and while he has been chastised for trying to provoke strife among our people, I do not completely trust him to keep the peace. You witnessed the death of Ulfúr and dealt fairly with his men in the aftermath of the fight. Héamarh is a good man, even if a little proud. It would go far with him to hear from you that his son died well. The King seeks to mend the divisions his father fostered."

"No one else knows of this errand, although some may guess at it. I do not believe any should hinder you on an errand of the King, but if they do, you have authority to defend yourselves. You are not however to slay any man of Rohan. Well, I will not delay you any more. The steading of Léofold lies some 80 miles west of here. It will be a hard push, but you should be able to make it there late this evening. Is there anything else you have need of before you depart?"

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:07 am

"Thank you," Torwin replies with a nod. "I would only ask, can you send a letter with the King's seal, that shows the folk we encounter that we are on the king's official business? The last thing we need are men like Héastan running into us, saying we are bandits who've stolen this silver and gold."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:35 am

"It shall be done," Ealdulf assures Torwin.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:26 pm

Hereweald nods to Torwin's idea, "A sound idea, I had not considered that we may be seen in a poor light." The man makes ready to depart at once, gathering his things and his horse.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:38 pm

"Thank you," replies Torwin, following Hereweald in preparing to depart.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:34 am

Satisfied, Istril keeps her peace and waits until she and the others are outside to speak. "I think we ought to take the Reeve's advice and make all possible haste with our errand."