Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Rolls:
Hereweald - Inspire
GANDALF
Success Die: 2,3
Totaling: 5
with 1 Auto Success, upgraded to a great success with Old Songs
+1 hope for the Gandalf

Istril - Inspire
GANDALF
Success Die: 2,5,6t
Totaling: 13 with 1 success
with 1 Auto Success = Great success

All 3 of you got great successes, 2 with G runes. Amazing.
Thengel smiles at Hereweald's little ruse, as he sees it catches the prices attention. Theoden indeed seems enthralled at the tale of Helm Hammerhand. When Hereweald finishes, the king nods approvingly.

"True words he has spoken son. A king must not act rashly. Patience will serve you well in life. Still though, it is not an excuse for inaction, because while a king should not act hastily, a leader cannot dither back and for overly long on an issue. Have patience, but act decisively when you must.

Istril then speaks on wisdom, and her words seem very sagely indeed. There is an authority in her voice that has all those listening nodding in agreement with her. When she finishes speaking, Morwen addresses her son, "A wise heart sees which course to take when the path is unclear. Wisdom gives one a deeper sight when the world seems full of darkness."

Thengel then replies, "Yes, wisdom is indeed important, but many a man who deems himself wise has been taken in by trickery. Even the wisest of us can be overtaken by a fool. When in doubt, trust to truth and bravery."

"Well son, you have already had great instruction today, and yet, I still cannot choose the winner of this debate, so well defended each position is. Perhaps each of you will state why your choice is greatest of these three virtues and then I will let Théoden say who has convinced him they are correct."
One more round to break the tie! You can attack the other's arguments if you want, or just speak more on your virtue.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 pm

Hereweald waits for the other two speak first, patiently waiting.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:06 am

Torwin is not sure he cares to win this debate, but he feels deep down that he must to share with the prince, and so he picks up his argument again.

"Patience and wisdom are absolutely needed for a King to rule well. But it is only honor, a man's fealty to his oaths, that holds a Kingdom together. Honor is what a people give to the King, to serve him and their country, to the best of their ability. And honor is what the King gives in return to his people, to protect them and the land, to the best of his ability. Without honor, the Kingdom has begun it's fall into ruin. These last decades are proof of that; but I have hope a new day has come." With these words Torwin looks at King Thengel in the eye briefly, then back again at Théoden.

"But arguments fall short where the stories of our people do not." Then Torwin begins singing. It is a lay whose origin is forgotten, which talks about Marwhini leading the Northmen to the Vales of Anduin, and the establishing of the Éothéod, who from the beginning were held together as a people because they upheld their vows.
Song 3
When the song is over Torwin looks at Théoden in the eye, "My prince, whether you believe honor, wisdom, or patience as the most important trait in a King, please hear me. When you are one day King you will be called upon to honor our oaths in times of great distress. Though all else I've said is forgotten, and I myself am in the grave, remember this -- no matter what, lead Rohan to meet the call!"

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Torwin - Song
Rolled:
Feat Die: 3*
Success Die: 1,3,6t
Totaling: 13 with 1 success, eligible to spend hope to get the great success.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Spend Hope for great success and AP

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Done (It seems you already made the changes to your character sheet.)

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:57 pm

"I have little to add," Istril states, folding her hands at her waist. "Save that wisdom teaches one how to make difficult decisions such as what constitutes an honorable action and when to be patient. It teaches one when to strike and when to show mercy - when to speak on and when to relent - and I choose the latter here. I have said all that I intended to say, and I do not wish to gainsay anything that my friends have put forth."
That's all I got. My head is so fuzzy from this cold that I just don't want to hold us up further.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Having waited patiently to the end Hereweald smiles as it becomes his turn once more. He holds up a mug of ale, "To be honest your highness, I don't have the kingly patience it takes to win this argument. I can see the wisdom and the honor in letting others win. I can play the long game, and I'm thirsty now." He holds his tankard up and shouts, "FOR ROHAN!" which he assumes the rest of the hall will echo. He winks at the prince and downs his tankard!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:33 pm

Thengel looks at the three companions as if reading them through their words. "Well son, there is much wisdom in what has been spoken here today. There is truth in what all have said, but if I must chose a winner in this contest, I would say that Torwin has best argued his position."

Directing his attention to Torwin for a moment, Thengel says, "I perceive that you have the qualities of a leader yourself, young man. I have need of men faithful to our country, in whom I can place my trust. I have heard good reports about your service so far. You indeed have conducted yourself with honor. "

Then turning to Théoden, Thengel asks, "Well son, what have you to say in response to our guests. Do you agree with one of them?"

After a moment of thought, the young prince replies, “My mother taught me that truthfulness stands above as the king of all virtues, as truth protects all the other qualities of a man of worth. And yet I have learnt from you, my father, that it is loyalty that binds Rider to King, King to retainer. Without loyalty there would be no Eorlingas, nor the other virtues that make them great.”

Thengel grows thoughtful at Théoden’s talk of loyalty. He stares pensively at the burning hearth for a few long moments, then he raises his eyes to look first at his son, then to the companions sitting next to the young lord.

“This is well said, my son. Yet, while I do not doubt the steadfastness of the people of Rohan, at times pride takes over and clouds the mind of those whose position would require them to stand as an example instead.”

Thengel continues his speech explaining to his guests how a bitter feud among his right-hand men, the Second Marshal and the Third Marshal of the Mark, is worrying him. The rivalry between Cenric of Eastfold and Éogar of Westfold began at the time of Fengel King and has only deepened since Thengel took the throne. Each marshal despises the other, and their loyal kinsmen carry their struggle far and wide.

Individuals from each faction watch their rivals constantly and sometimes chase each other down. Insults fly at the Entwade crossings and at feast-day gatherings, and there has been bloodshed more than once when taunts went too far. Over the years, weregilds in gold have been paid to
make amends, but others have fled as outlaws. "This has gone far enough", says Thengel.

"There might come a day when the Lord of the Mark must tame his marshals by force. But I would rather lead them to peace by wisdom. Éogar and Cenric are mighty men, stern and powerful. The Riddermark needs their strength, uncowed and unbroken."

"How to achieve this end has baffled me, and yet my dear Queen thinks she may have found an opening to mend the rift between the Eastfold and Westfold." He looks at Morwen. My Lady, would you be so kind as to explain your plan to our guests?"

Prompted by the King, the Queen begins the tale of Mildryd Shielding of Westfold and Esmund, son of Edwin of Eastfold.

“Many years ago, Mildryd and Esmund, though not related by blood, grew as inseparable as brother and sister, as their families were united by a strong friendship. They remained close as they grew to adults, and many thought that brotherly love would soon give way to a different type of
feeling.”

“But they surprised everyone when Esmund married a lady from a prominent Eastfold family following his father Edwin’s advice, and Mildryd married a rich Westfold retainer. Both seemed content with their choice, and would have probably continued to be so, had not fate devised different plans for both unions. Not long ago, Esmund’s wife died bearing their first child, while Mildryd’s husband and children were slain in a Dunlending raid several years back.”

Queen Morwen pauses with furrowed brow, and looks to her husband. Thengel continues the tale.

“Today, Esmund is a brave captain despite his ill-luck and all the people of Eastfold love him. He is no friend to Cenric and would have cause to feud with the Third Marshal, but his loyalty instead has won his lord’s respect. Mildryd went seeking peace on the battlefield, as she took up shield and spear after the death of her husband as a Shieldmaiden and soon became famous for her relentlessness. Now she is one of Éogar’s chief lieutenants, the captain of his personal éored.”

“You all see where this tale brings us: can the life-thread of these two be entwined, to heal their spirit and mend the rift that jealousy and spite has dug between the folks of Westfold and Eastfold?”

"For too long Rohan has been divided east from west through divisions which grew in large part due to choices made by my father. I would see Rohan reunited. For this to happen, I must have my marshals to make peace and immediately settle whatever weregilds and damages they owe one another. They are proud men however, and I feel like an order from the king might just embarrass them and cause more friction."

"Morwen and I feel that only a marriage between the two households might provide the proud marshals with the excuse for peace that mere goodwill has yet to find. That may allow them to end their feud without shame. As free Eorlingas, Mildryd and Esmund are entitled to make their own decisions. They know each other. They may be far easier to persuade than the lords they serve."

"Thus I finally will reveal to you my true motive in inviting you three here today. You have proven yourself loyal and honorable. I would ask you to go to the Eastfold and the Westfold to act as my my messengers. I am not sending you as my agents, I will not impose my authority. But you can offer those involved my proposals and express my desires. What say you? You might have questions which I will do my best to answer."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Torwin bows at the King and Queen, "We are honored to be here, and to be entrusted by you. Two questions come to my mind. First, if we go as your messengers, what is the message we are to bring? And second while you have told us the final goal, what do we say when asked what our business is? If we ride off to the West or Eastfold and find Mildryd and then Esmund, how are we to bring these two together? I feel it could shame them to hear that strangers have been sent to match-make them."