Recent Site Changes

News, information, and announcements are posted here.
Forum rules
Only admins and moderators can post announcements. Members can read and reply.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Recent Site Changes

Post by Shurijo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Hey all,

On Thursday (Dec 26), I upgraded our PHP version to the latest version which caused a trickle down waterfall of other unexpected issues.

After hearing about Myth Weavers' recent problems (DDoS, offline), I checked and realized that I hadn't updated our forums in way too long. So I thought I'd update our PHP version as a easy first step. However, after updating that, the software version of phpBB forums that we use was found to be not compatible, so that forced me to upgrade to the newest version of phpBB.

After finishing the upgrade to the latest phpBB software, nearly all of our custom themes and extensions (addons/plugins) were broke, because they weren't compatible with the newest forums software version. So I had to debug, recode, and update/find/install the new themes and extensions again. Additionally, a lot of the custom BBcode (like ooc, gm, roll, init) were broken and needed to be recoded as well.

Since all of these addons are open source, that means a bunch of developers that made these addons several years ago (like the @ mentions etc) just disappeared without a new version. So there's a few less addons and extensions.

Notably the following items are either broke, need to be recoded, or need to find a replacement:
  • Dice Roller - I made this, and it needs to be recoded because the new themes/forum has different code/styles
  • Games List - I made this, and to be honest, I'm not sure what's broken here, but it's broken, most likely I'm using a function or feature that was heavily changed or deprecated. Most likely, I need to recode this as well.
  • @ Mentions - I found another addon that does this to replace our old version, but I'd like to wait a week or so to make sure everything else is working fine first
  • PM Search - (ability to search your PMs)
  • PM Status bar - (Showed you a percentage bar of how full your inbox was, most of us were at 100% anyways :) )
  • Topic Preview - allowed you to hover over a topic to see a preview. I think a new version of this exists (or a replacement) that we can use. Also waiting to make sure everything else works first.
Additionally, you might notice some addons (like Shoutbox and Recent Topics) are no longer on the right hand sidebar and they are stacked in the main body/middle of the page. The new forums/themes did away with the sidebar in order to be more mobile friendly. I'd like to add this back in and make it responsive (adapt to either mobile or desktop), but I need more time. I tried over the weekend and the new code isn't as friendly/structure for this change as before.

As a long term plan, as soon as these changes and updates settle, I'd like to also switch over to Cloudflare to protect us from DDoS attacks. I don't think a major hacking group took down MythWeavers, more likely a former, angry player/script-kiddie took it offline. Several years ago I originally set up this site with Cloudflare but it didn't work well with forums software. Now, there's a special plugin that is suppose to make everything work, so I need to do a lot of research to make sure it actually works. Cloudflare basically changes our DNS so when users access the site via the domain name (or ip) it goes to Cloudflare and does all the filtering/security checks, and then passes the request to our server. They are basically a middleman software that can detect and block some web threats, especially DDoS attacks - and its free for a single site (or used to be) for the basics.

If you notice anything else, please post it here so we can investigate.

Thanks,
Shurijo

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Recent Site Changes

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:00 pm

Thank you Shurijo for all your work on this, and for always hosting us and making sure we have a safe place to play! You are the man!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Recent Site Changes

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:59 pm

Yes, Shurijo, thanks for all your hard work.