Character Creation Questions

This is the OOC forum for The Dark Museum.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Character Creation Questions

Post by Shurijo » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:09 pm

My goal is to just have fun in hell and get a feel for mid-level characters (starting at lv 8, but end mission is around lv . If you want to switch characters to experiment with different builds, that's fine as well.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Update:

* Added Former Cultist homebrew background. Preview at https://www.dndbeyond.com/backgrounds/8 ... er-cultist

* Added new spell: Detect Infernal. Preview at https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/331285-detect-infernal

* Added new equipment Obsidian Caltrops (not magical). Preview at https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/1 ... nonmagical

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Okay I've updated.

No contract yet.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:24 am

Let's start with a question.
Are there any magic properties to armor/weapons that you wouldn't count as magical, in the right context? Like +1/+2/+3 enhancement?

Alright, so far I have a straight rogue through level 8 with the thief archetype (high Wisdom, but zero Intelligence). He's a half-elf of drow parentage, using the variant rules to sacrifice the Skill Versatility trait for Drow Magic, but I forego the advancement ability score improvements for the feats Skilled & Mobile. I gave him proficiency in Survival and Poisoner's Kit, so he can collect anything deadly from creatures we kill if we need/want to make poisons from it. For his Background, I took Faction Agent. He also gets Athletics because I can see that becoming necessary quite easily, but his Strength is +1. He's a Finesse guy.

For equipment, I've had a rapier and dagger and 20 arrows silvered, I've given him a horse and saddle, poisoner's kit & thieves' tools, a couple antitoxin, a signet ring, a magnifying glass, holy water, poison, and some other essentials that didn't come with the burglar's pack. I'm unsure how to spend the rest of my money, I have a lot, but I'll open a bank account for him to stash the rest. I figure that being part of a faction helps you hold onto your riches and helps you keep out of trouble. He's got a whip too for Slashing, going straight for the Finesse weapons, but I can totally see him IndianaJones-ing with it. I'd like to get him a Finesse blunt weapon, but I doubt I'll find one in the Simple category. Just wanna cover my bases.

For Trinket, I got: a coin minted in a foreign country.

Uncommon magic items: Rope of Climbing, Cloak of Elvenkind
Common Potions: Potion of Climbing (gotta go fast!), Potion of Healing
Common Magic Item: Boots of False Tracks (the only "Common" magic item on the SRD site was this, I dunno where to go to choose from this stuff, but it does seem useful on its face)

Offer: I think I should boost his AC, or take the Lucky feat if allowed. It would be pretty cool if I could raise the base 10 AC for him by +4 instead of adding it to Dexterity, but I'll defer to DM on that ruling.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:50 pm

> Are there any magic properties to armor/weapons that you wouldn't count as magical, in the right context? Like +1/+2/+3 enhancement?

If the weapon is listed as magical (+1/2/3 or flameblade or whatever), then it's magical.

For magic items (and char gen), I bought the DM license to DnDbeyond, so that unlocks the PHB, DMG, Eberron, and a ton of other official books and adventures for players within the campaign (basically anything that I've purchased can be shared with players of my game and I've bought all of the 5e core books and a few adventures). If you create a free account there, then click on the dndbeyond link in opening post, it will let you add a character to the campaign and then you can use the char gen wizard to build the char and select equipment, etc. You can also see the char sheets of the other characters.

The dndbeyond char sheet is really, really nice, but it takes a bit to get used to. It will walk you through everything step-by-step and speed up char gen quite a bit.

As far as half-drow/elf, I made a homebrew half-drow/half-wood elf race (that is usable in dndbeyond). If you want to use the dndbeyond char gen, then I might need to make another homebrew half-elf/drow race (or maybe if you look at my wood elf/half-elf race and see if works, I used that race template for my example character).

I can work with the offer concept. I have a few ideas that we can work through in PMs. :twisted:

As far as Faction Agent goes, I'm fine with that, but realize that we'll be spending nearly all of your time in Hell or the plane between Hell and your home plane, so there won't be much Faction work/themes going on. You could be part of a thieves guild or whatnot as a background.

Also, the horse won't be needed. It's not easy getting into and out of hell, so I doubt the devil will be willing to send a horse through whatever teleport/gate he summons and spend a soul token to retrieve the horse, etc.

My current half-drow/half-wood elf race: (raised on surface version, Underdark version replaces Elf Weapon Training with Drow Weapon Training)
Half-Wood Elf, Half-Drow Traits

Ability Score Increase
Your Charisma score increases by 1.

Elf Weapon Training
You have proficiency with the longsword, shortsword, shortbow, and longbow.

Fleet of Foot
Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.

Drow Magic
You know the dancing lights cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the faerie fire spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the darkness spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:59 am

Oops. I missed this. Didn't know how things work. And for some reason I mistook whips for being one of the rogue's proficiencies. Gotta ditch the whip an the horse stuff, and then I'll go see what other equipment is available once I'm approved.

I'm alright with the faction being flavor, it's just where he came from that matters and you can totally reference it whenever or introduce some people who like or hate him based on his association.

I assumed that replacing Versatility per the 5e variant rule on the site would indicate where the elf blood came from. Either way, the non-drow "parent" was a human.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:35 am

Ok. Holidays are well over.

I'd like to get an interest check to see if everybody is still onboard.

If you haven't worked out a deal with the devil yet, then we need to chat :twisted:

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:43 am

You bad man!!! Trying to make us sign on with the Devil!!! :P

I'm still interested. We do need to chat it up about whatever Deal I've managed to make.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:12 pm

Yeah ok, need to figure out what my motivation might be for such a thing.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:34 pm

Yup, still here. Sending PM about Consideration, Acceptance and Clauses.