Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

The River Running: Long Marshes of Mirkwood

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:42 pm

"I say let's stop and find out who or what this is," replies Finn. "If it were something big and dangerous, I have a feeling we would have heard a much larger ruckus. Why don't you Elves hide, so that our exact numbers are not known, and it will be far easier to accomplish a partial ambush, rather than a full one?

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Varuthil says, "We don't even know that what's following us is hostile--though if they aren't, it is odd that they haven't hailed us. Let us start out with spying on them--we can decide what to do from there." To Gerwald, she says, "I am eager to be gone from here--but whatever follows us may catch up with us before we are gone and may pursue us after we leave."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:33 pm

You decide on a mixed course of action. You keep moving for another hour through the Long Marshes until you enter a thicker patch of forest, where you hope to pull the boats around some cover so you can get a good look at who or what is following you, and you hope give yourselves a bit of defense if things turn violent.

As you beach the boats on a eyot of dry land and turn looking to Mirkwood and the Marshes for signs of your pursuers. It doesn't take long, you spot a shape there, and another there. Out of the fog and shadow of the trees a half dozen forms appear, and you get the feeling there may be more unseen. Then just as tensions are highest you see them for what they are -- Wood Elves.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:45 pm

As soon as their pursuers are revealed to be elves, Glirion is filled with relief and visibly relaxes. He holds up a hand in greeting and speaks in Sindarin. "Le suilon. Im Glirion."
Literally "I greet you. I am Glirion."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Re: Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:17 pm

Varuthil rises and calls out, "Hail. I am Varuthil, foster daughter of Eällandor, of King Thranduil's court. These folk are my allies. We are on a mission hunting the forces of the Enemy."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:20 pm

Gerwald relaxes upon seeing that they are followed by elves. Content to let the elves among the company do the talking to their own kind, he sits back and watches to see what unfolds and to learn why they are being followed.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:54 pm

Finn raises his eyebrows at seeing the Elves with drawn bows, as if their company was a threat. He glances at Hild, who sternly stares back with her arms crossed. Thankfully, in her usual manner, she says nothing and will likely be unnoticed.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:50 pm

One of the elves comes forward from the rest, a noble looking one, with a look of disdain that seems to be set behind his eyes at all times. "Hail Varuthil foster daughter of Eällandor, I am Galion of the Woodland Realm." He pauses and gazes over the company, men and elves. "Travel in these parts is rare, and dangerous, let us speak a moment of your trials and travels under the eves of Mirkwood." Galion pauses on a hillock, he motions and all the elves lower their bows.
Yes THAT Galion, the former cup bearer (butler) of Thranduil from the Hobbit
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:26 pm

Varuthil nods and turns to the others. "Galion is an honored servant of King Thranduil. We should have little to fear, though my people are often unhappy when outsiders pass through their realms." She turns back to Galion and says, "I am afraid that we will be able to tell you much less than we would like, since we have gone out in search of answers. You may remember that I was recently in the King's court seeking answers about an artifact of the Enemy called the Chain. We are now traveling south to try to determine where the Enemy may have taken it. We are simply passing through here--we judged taking the river route would be fastest."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:23 pm

"It seems that you've answered one of my questions already. There has been much traffic on the river of late and I would know why. It seems your trip may have nothing to do with the others." Galion joins close to the boats, he knows the land well, moving among dry hillocks here and there so he need not shout. The other elves remain at their places surrounding the company. "Tell me are you familiar with the dwarves Balin and Oin from Erebor?"