Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Chapter 3: Red Days Rising

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:21 pm

Hereweald hurries back once he's close. "Come, they have her, there are half a dozen wild Dunlendings in camp, men and women." He motions back the way he came. "They have the lady bound and hooded on the ground, prisoner, but for how long I have no idea. We should go at once and save her!"

If the others agree he leads them back to the camp, pointing out sticks to avoid stepping on.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:39 pm

"Can the three of us defeat six of them, if it comes to a fight?"

Torwin continues, "But more important than our lives, if they feel threatened, what of the safety of Lady Esfled? We cannot guarantee this if a fight breaks out; though they may intend to not harm her, a stray arrow, if anything happened to her, even were we to defeat these Dunlendings, we would be tried as prisoners before the Marshal. For now, it seems the Lady is unharmed, we know where she is, and can follow. Better to wait and alert the Marshal, or see if there is a chance to steal her away, or even to take that Dunlending witch, that we might arrange an exchange of prisoners."
Torwin is calling the female Dunlending a witch - not because he knows anything (nor I as a player), but because he still can't explain the sudden mists which enabled them to sneak in and take the lady and disappear again. So he's gone to the most ready explanation a Man of Harrowdale would have - that of the presence of a witch.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:04 am

"I agree with Torwin," Istril nods to Torwin. "The chance is too great that the Lady might be slain, either on purpose or inadvertently. I too believe we should follow and try to come up with a better plan. Perhaps we might lure two or three away from their camp and deal with them. This would even the odds for an attempt at rescue."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Hereweald hot head is cooled by the words of his companions. "Alright, then one of us should return to the Marshall's camp at once and rally more men. The others will wait her and watch, and do what must be done if these Dunlendings decide to take drastic against against the Lady." He looks to Istril, a woman of Gondor, not a woman of Rohan and wonders if the Marshall's men would listen to her warning, or if she could hold her own here in a fight outnumbered 3 to 1.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 am

"The Marshall may not be far," says Torwin. "I will go find him. You can stay far enough from the camp to easily be hidden, and yet watch their movements. However, if you wish to go, while I remain here to watch Lady Esfled, that is fine with me."
V, remember that due to one of your Undertakings, your PC has, like mine, a bonus +2 Tolerance to an Encounter with Rohirrim this Adventure that we can use anytime (plus we both have a boon, Torwin for the Marshal of the Westfold, and you for the Marshal of the Eastfold). I say that in case either one of us goes to the Marshal, we can use that bonus +2 if they need to be persuaded, which probably won't be the case, but anyway.

Othniel, it might be OK for Istril to go find the Marshal, but somehow it seems like not only will she have a harder time convincing them to follow, but if there is just one Gondorian woman and one Rohirrim, and they happen to be found by the Dunlendings, it will be perceived as far less of a threat than two Rohirrim, who will certainly be seen as threat/scouts.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:58 am

"I think it best one of you go," Istril answers. "And I do not believe Hereweald could stand to do it, so it will have to be you, Torwin."
Yeah, that all makes sense.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:22 pm

Hereweald nods to Torwin, "Go, hurry. We'll stay here."

He turns back to keep and eye on the camp from a safe distance. He's a long time hunter, he's say in blinds before waiting hours for game to come by. This is no different, he waits paitently.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:10 pm

"I go, and fare you well," Torwin replies. He turns and leaves, considering the route they came by, and the options the Marshal may have had; he knows that they had been following the path of the Marshal and his men, but at some point the path he and the companions took brought them across the Dunlendings, instead of the Marshal.

He considered all he knew of this area, from previous travel, to maps, to most importantly, the things they had heard from the villagers and the camp. It wasn't much, but it would have to do.
Are we still using our horses, WB? And can I invoke Riddermark-Lore in this search? The other option I'd be happy to roll is Explore.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:03 am

After some discussion, it is agreed that Torwin will take his horse north west around the edge of the forest in search of the Marshal in order to relay the news of his wife. Hereweald and Istril stay back to monitor the raider's camp. So far, you have no reason to suspect you have been detected.

Torwin sets off on his mount, Caldscinn and make his way northward following the line of the trees. Soon the sun starts to slide toward the western horizon and sink toward the treetops. He spurs the horse onward hoping to make the Marshall's camp before night fully sets in. It is after about 5 hours of riding, that he sees the fires of a distant camp lying on the northern edge of the Derne Wood. There is little other light, the moon being just a thin sliver. He makes his way toward the camp and as he does, he sees the familiar sights of a Rohirrim encampment. With a kick of his heels, Caldschinn jumps into a gallop and races toward the firelight.

As he approaches, he is noticed by one of the guards, who hails him in a grim-faced greeting.
"What news brings you hither? I see you are no Dunlending or Wulfing, has Grimborn sent you with some news?"

Torwin quickly tells that they have come from Grimborn's camp and yet they set out on their own to aid Éogar. He reports the finding of the Dunlending camp and is quickly hurried to see the Marshal who has only recently returned from a day of searching with his men, and the shield-maiden, Mildryd Shielding.

"Well," begins Éogar, "I have been told you have news about the Lady Esfled. Speak quickly, I have little patience for idle prating." As he barks at Torwin, clearly distressed, the man from Harrowdale cannot help but glance at the stern beauty of the shield-maiden who stands beside the Marshal.

Torwin, Explore TN 12
Rolled:
Feat Die: 2*
Success Die: 4,6t
Totaling: 12 with 1 success

Meanwhile, Istril and Hereweald are intent on watching the Dunlendings without being spotted themselves. They dare not light a fire lest they announce there presence. Hereweald can retrace his steps to the encampment, but fears that too much movement might draw the attention of the Dunlendings. They decide to move their horses around to the far side of a small thicket of trees not too far from the forest's edge to hide them from the view of anyone who might be scouting the eaves of the wood for an approaching army. they then move back as quietly as they can to try to find a vantage point from where they can observe. Hereweald begins leading them slowly into the trees. Istril follows silently. They progress some 50 yards into the wood when suddenly Istril stops and motions for Hereweald to be silent and to hide as she presses herself quickly into a shrub in the underbrush. Hereweald looks from side to side, not seeing or hearing anything and as quickly as he can follows Istril's lead. They lay in breathless silence for a full 30 seconds before he now hears what it was that alarmed the Gondorian. Footsteps are approaching from the west. It is the sound of a solitary scout who passes not 15 feet from where they lay. They dare not move as the figure passes headed back in the direction in which they just came.

After a full 10 minutes, they here the sound of the scout returning. He is using the same slow and methodical steps. He does not seem to have been alerted by their presence.This time he passes some 20 yards to the south of the companions' position. It is not until his footsteps have long faded into the west in the direction of the raider's camp that the two companions risk speaking to one another in whispers as they rise up from their cover.
Awareness rolls:
Hereweald
Rolled:
Feat Die: 7*
Success Die: 1
Totaling: 8
-----------------------------
Istril
Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 2
Totaling: 2
with 1 Auto Success
By now the sun's filtered rays seem to be coming from the west and have begun to grow more orange in hue. It will not be long before nightfall.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:02 am

The scent of the brush fills Istril's nostrils, and she is briefly brought back to her many forays into the woodlands in search of medicinal herbs. The presence of the man of Rohan so near in gear of war returns her attention to their present danger, however, and she only dares breath silently. "We should draw off a distance and be ready to signal Torwin or others who come. And reduce the chances of our discovery."