Chapter 1: The Avernus Job [First Layer of Hell]

The Nine Hells are no place for the mortal soul. Those who willingly walk into the most infamous dens of iniquity and horror are sure to return home with stories, treasures, and... more
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Chapter 1: From The Highway to Hell

Post by Othniel » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:02 pm

Morneth eschews applying the demon ichor to her chained weapon, unsure of what interaction the two might have. "There isn't much to know about me. My name is Morneth, and the Maiden of Pain is my mistress. If there is someone or something needed to be found, or if pleasure or pain is in demand, then my abilities can serve."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:50 am

Ryld smirks at the wording. "I'm sorry. Could you elaborate on said abilities? I'm not sure if they're what I think you mean, cuz I have a hopelessly dirty mind."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:41 pm

Okay, let's get going. Please post your leg-action in the OOC forum. ManWithDoor has already posted his action. Once I have at least 3/4, then we'll proceed.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:43 pm

Morneth regards Ryld impassively for a moment. "I could. But I won't."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:56 am

Log'thar just shakes his head, not finding the exchange all that amusing. He is a man with a job to do, and wants to get to it. With a leap he mounts the Nightmare, settling in comfortably. "Well we can continue this exchange of pleasantries on the road then. Nothing stopping us from walking and talking at the same time."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:40 pm

"Aww! Fair enough, I guess. That would spoil the surprise." Ryld stretches and breathes deeply of the acrid air, and instantly makes a face that betrays his regret for doing so. "Yeah yeah, of course. We'd better make some progress soon before our bellies start rumbling."

He checks out Morneth's gear. "But I gotta say, those scythes look pretty nasty. I look forward to seeing them in motion."

He moves from rock to jutting rock in the landscape, hiding in the shadows whenever possible. He almost seems to darken *with* the shade, instead of *in* it.
I hope I'm not worrying anyone. He isn't seriously preoccupied with chasing women, especially not PCs.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:12 pm

There will be 1 leg to the obelisk. Its a short walk.

Log'thar
Inspire DC 15 Charisma (Persuasion)
d20+2 = 4+5 = 11, failed

Morneth
Stay Alert DC 15 Wisdom (Perception)
d20+7=12+7=19, success
Result: The party cannot be surprised by encounters during this leg.

Ryld
Stealth DC 15 Dexterity (Stealth)
d20+10=2+10=12, failed (wow, can't believe that bad of roll)

Tome (DM choice, so we can move forward)
Search DC 25 Intelligence (Investigation)
d20+4=*nat 20* + 4 (I didn't realize it until after I rolled that he had +4 and DC was 25, so he'd have to roll 21+ on a d20, but he rolled a nat 20)
Result: Roll randomly on the Avernus trinkets table.
d20 = 7 = A silver locket (that can be opened).

Fireball counter+1 = current at 2, so if you roll less than 2 we get a fireball

Encounter roll
d10 = 2
The group begins to walk towards the large, glowing obelisk. As they move closer to the object, Tome feels the increasing power of the arcane aura.

Along the way, Tome discovers an interesting object. Morneth stands guard watching over them as Tome takes a break to investigate and learn more about this creation. After an investigation, he states "The recorded name of this object is Devil's Ride. It is a two-wheeled vehicle. One person rides atop of the vehicle."

The two-wheeled war machine's spiked wheels are split in half and lay in separate areas. While the screaming engine and cowl are shaped vaguely like a grinning devil's visage. He indicates that the devil's horns are used as handle bars to steer. There appears to be no weapon on the vehicle, however, Tome notes that it is very fast and maneuverable.
Imagine a Mad Max-like motorcycle from Hell
On the ground near the war machine, Tome discovers a humanoid corpse burnt beyond recognition. The corpse's hand reaching outwards towards a shiny, silver locket.
(Do you or anyone else want to open the locket?)

I'll give everyone a moment here, then real life tomorrow I'll post your arrival to the obelisk. I had hoped to do some combat in the leg encounter to test out our characters but dice had other plans

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:34 am

Ryld scans the land for other machines like the one on the ground. "It only has two wheels? Was it magic?"

Ryld walks over to the body and picks up the silver locket. "Could be worth something." He opens it.
I for one am glad the dice were "kind" this time

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:21 pm

Log'thar trots curiously around the contraption, impressed even though it has clearly seen better days. "Are any of you a tinkerer or craftsman? Certainly a strange machine, but if the wheels could be repaired or replaced, and whatever spirit that drives it is intact, it would be a most useful resource." He pats his mount fondly, then scratches it behind the ears. "I am not in need of a ride, but walking may become onerous after an extended stay in Hell."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:23 pm

As Tome looks at the silver locket, Ryld moves over, collects it, and then opens it. Once he opens the locket, he sees a portrait of a beautiful person. The half-elf feels an overwhelming sense of urgency to find the person displayed in the locket.
DC 15 Wisdom check (curse)
d20+3 = 5+3 = 8 *fail*

You are now "obsessed" with finding this person. The beautiful person will be whatever your character imagines is a beautiful person, so feel free to describe them however you wish.
As Log'thar looks at the machine discovered by Tome, the warforged states, "It is an infernal war machine." Then he spots something interesting and takes a closer inspection. Tome pulls out his soul coin measure's its width and thickness and returns it to his belongings.

The warforged points to a compartment located in front and under the seat. "This is its furnace. And this slot's dimensions match that of a soul coin. It would seem clear that the machine was fueled by souls." The furnace is cracked and there are no soul coins located near the Devil's Ride.
The warmachine is destroyed beyond repair.

After a few minutes the group returns to their route towards the obelisk...

---

As they approach the hill-top, they find it difficult to remember exactly how long they have been in Avernus and how far they have traveled from their origin point. Peering in the direction they came to their original location, it appears to be a different distance and direction than they remember.

Continuing on, they trek upwards along a path that leads to the top of an isolated, flat-topped ridge. There they find a thirty-foot-tall obelisk ringed by seven smaller standing stones rising from the crest of this hill. A woman wearing tattered robes strides between the standing stones, gesticulating wildly and screaming curses into the wind.
Even though you aren't holding your soul coin in your hand, you can feel a faint call suggesting that the orc shaman's soul believes there to be more souls from his tribe in the area.