Book 3: Chapter 2 - Into the Cold North

It was in the beginning of the reign of Malvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor. For at that time the realm of Angmar arose in the North beyond the Ettenmoors. Its lands lay on both sides of the Mountains, and there were gathered many evil men, and Orcs, and other fell creatures. The lord of that land was known as the Witch-king, but it was not known until later that he was indeed the chief of the Ringwraiths, who came north with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain in Arnor, seeing hope in their disunion, while Gondor was strong.

Ruins of the North is a game set in the north of Eriador in the ruins of Arnor between the years of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Using the One Ring RPG system the game will explore the legacy of the Dunedain and the dangers returned to that part of Middle-earth.

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

In the Maze - The Luck of the Valar

Post by AndyDez » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:30 am

"Quiet now Hartley, I dont think we're hearing Bree-hounds ahead!" Hugo moves into a position for the bow should Hartley return quickly....with friends.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:15 pm

Hartley takes a deep breath, nods to his companions and then moves as quietly as he can toward the sound of the hounds, or whatever creatures lurk ahead. He intends to get close enough to read their numbers and perhaps see some clue as to the whereabouts of the prisoners while preferably not being seen or eaten.
Stealth 3 favored, spend hope on a failure.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:39 pm

Telurin is glad Hartley is going first. "Keep a piece of your dried sausage out for them," he whispers before Hartley disappears ahead.

The hounds will be quite curious at the smell of a halfling, which will be quite unfamiliar to them. Hopefully that would keep them more curious than on guard, and give them a chance to make friends.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:12 pm

13 Fail + Hope 5(favored) = 18 Success
Hartley slips ahead on soft feet. He adjusts his movement from one side of the hall to the other to stay in the shadows and he hopes whatever is down there can't smell over its own stink. He grows close enough to see a recessed arch, a small vestibule of a few feet, then a large closed door. In that vestibule are four large Hillman Wolfhounds. They are gnawing on the remains of what he can only guess is a goblin, its gruesome and foul to watch them fight each other for the creatures leg and rib cages, pieces of its armor and clothing still connected to the meat and bone. He slips back silently.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:41 pm

Hartley reports back to the others. "Wolfhounds, four of them, very large. They are blocking a door. I didn't dare try to get past them. The last poor creature who did that , well, they were finishing up with him. Together we might take them though."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:48 pm

"Think they might be won over with food, if we offered it?" Telurin asks, turning to Hwalda, Freach, and Essylt.

"I am certain they are bred to be terrible doorwardens, and yet you had such dogs among your tribe and they obeyed your commands, which to me means they are tamable - neither independent and cunning like wargs, nor completely wild as wolves would be."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:19 pm

"Aye," says Halleth, "the best victories are the ones where you don't need to fight. And the more quietly we can deal with them, the better. The longer we'll be able to sneak about without attracting our enemies' attention a second time."

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:26 pm

"Perhaps I have something in my pack that we could use. I have herbs that might be used to sedate the dogs. I could try to lace some food with them. "
I want to invoke herb-lore to propose a healing test (favored skill of 3) to mix up some herbs to put the hounds out with.

AndyDez
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndyDez » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:23 am

"Steady on! I may have something as well!" Hugo rummages through his pack for anything useful.
would Cooking trait help here?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:51 pm

Great! Love it.

Cooking from Hugo to collect the food that the hounds will want.

Hartley Herb-lore to mix up something to knock the dogs out. You are REALLY super limited on options and time and resources. TN18

Rolled:
Feat Die: 2*
Success Die: 6t,6t,6t
Totaling: 20 with 3 successes

EXTRA ORDINARY Success. Yup mega dose of something!
Whatever is behind the door must be important, but to get through it the hounds have to be dealt with. Just to move down the passage the hounds have to be dealt with. Hartley suggests food and herbs, and Freach nods, "Yes, do you have dillweed in your kit? Our hounds have never been able to stomach that." Hartley does in fact have a large amount of it. Between Hugo, who has a good amount of left over roast game hen, you pack the foul full of the dillweed mixed with a few other herbs to mask the smell and scent. You have enough, you think, if you can get it to the hounds and they bite, you might just be able to slip pas them into the door or down the hall.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring