Book 3: Chapter 1 - Strait to It

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Eberron is a large world, too large in fact. Khorvaire, Xen'drik, Riedra, and more lands lie uncharted beyond. Danger, and opportunity are everyplace, and some times no place all at the same time. Both have come to your small group, to the Grey Company in Stormreach, but the great wide world is moving and active, it ebbs and flows, and one can't always stay close to home.

Its been five days since you collected the Shard of Lust from the Lady's Light deep in the dark continent of Xen'drik. You've lost some along the way, both in mind and body. Yet you must continue, and you must go on. You have been summoned from your time of rest to one of the many offices within the tower.

You have joined Katrina Grenville d'Orien, the senior officer of the Tower who is not away on some mission. She is an attractive woman, blonde, with blue eyes, and a cold way about her that screams danger, arcane and mystical danger. Yet she's friendly and has always treated you nicely. A few minutes of small talk, a drink of amber spirits, and you are settled in as the last one of you arrives.

"Good you have all come. We should waste no more time with this matter." She pulls a cloth off the top of a nearby table and laid out on it are all the Shards, and Iuon Stones you have collected to date. Each one has an Iuon Stone in the small divot attached to it, including the new Shard of Lust you collected. (Pride, Greed, Lust)
Image Image

Shard Info Thread: viewtopic.php?f=721&t=8595
"As you can see we found the proper Iuon Stone for the Shard of Lust, and now we can use it to call on the next Shard in the Star. I have refrained from doing so, and am appointing one of you to do it. Once we have an idea of where the next Shard is located we can make plans to send your group there. I hope you have had time to rest and train, to deal with your equipment repairs because we shall wait no longer."
Welcome back. Not my best start, but let's not wait any longer. You'll want to make sure we know who is taking which Shard/Stone once we start back up again as well.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:11 am

Ceridwen (Summer Blossom had been left outside) takes a step forward to view the shards. She leans over them and looks closely, but does not touch. "Curious. And there are how many more to collect?"

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:41 pm

Had it really been almost a week? After all that happened, Taris wasn't keeping track. Every day since arriving in Stormreach was the same: morning routine, check in with Je & Oloven, go for a walk, break for lunch & passive chat, light training, evening mass & private prayer at church, then supper and a drink or two before bed.

Visits from ranking officers blurred into midday chatting - questions about Thrane, her experience with the Grey Maidens militant order, her faith in the Silver Flame, her life in general. She caught onto basically being interviewed on day three, nevertheless finding refreshment in sharing some of her life story with them - whatever she could tell them, that is, if being a Grey Maiden comes with any verboten or sensitive information. She filled her private prayers at the church with supplications. And, she was certain, something answered back in many voices.
Having not viewed the previous shards collected, Taris approaches to look at them too. "I've already held it once when it was 'active'. I can hold it again, if it's safe. How did you find the first?"
For an additional Lay on Hands use per day, the Shard of Lust would be a good pick for the paladin/fighter. That Initiative bonus is nice too. By the way, the Shard of Lust description in the resource thread is titled as the Shard of Greed.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:42 pm

"The turnover on individuals searching for the artifacts has been high. This is a dangerous land, as we have seen so intimately." Somehow Zeevan is a veteran in this quest versus the others, which is daunting. "There are seven of the Shards, so we are almost halfway there. We still have ... Gluttony, Envy, Wrath, and Sloth. Yes, that's the list. We have to find those."
Carrying up to 3 Shards is supposed to be safe, or at least as safe as carrying Ancient Artifacts gets. If Taris also wants to have the Shard of Greed, it'll really pimp out those Paladin/Fighter abilities.

If not, I'll go for Greed since I do melee attacks.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:21 pm

"Yes there are seven total we believe." Katrina looks the group over, "Zeevan is the senior agent here, I know how that must seem. We have had a few members join and leave, but I believe we must continue to focus on this task, even if we are short handed. I could attempt to pull someone off another job, if you think you need the help." She considers perhaps Fletcher, the Warforged doesn't talk much and is often willing to do what he's asked.

"Regardless, we will not want to have too many Shards carried at once by any one person, I advise no more than three each, and then only if you must. The old saying of putting all your eggs in one basket is at play here."

I will continue to work to collect Iuon Stones for you once you locate the next shard. However, we can't do that until one of you takes it, and focuses on finding the next one, now that the stone is within it." She looks at the group to see who will take up the task of being the compass so to speak.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:38 am

Taris pauses. "Then I'm overstepping, sorry." She looks at Zeevan. "Please, you go ahead."
You may be right. The Suggestion spell won't get much use with me, and it doesn't really fit Taris, while the Shard of Greed will boost her tanking ability. If the ioun stone inside it somehow gets misplaced, my own equipment more than compensates vs the conditional net worth to avoid being Sickened. For now.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:27 am

Zeevan considers the change in situation. He was the junior member on the journey to the Lady's Light, and returned the senior agent ... and a different race and gender. Life is a strange trip. "You showed your worth to us all, Taris. We trusted you with the Shard of Lust, and I will do so again. You deserve the honor of finding the next Shard."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Taris responds with a blank, dumbfounded look, as though she had just witnessed a tiger being thrown by an elk's horns. Rather than insist and pull reverse rank for needless delay, she sighs and answers, "Thank you. If anyone deserves the honor, it would be Je. But thank you. That means a lot."

Taris picks up the Shard of Lust, and...

"Um. Sorry, what do I do?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:47 pm

"You focus on the shard, and seeking the next shard. I'm sorry, but there isn't much more information than that. In the past your companions have held it out like a wayfinder, focused their thoughts on a shard and seeking the next shard in the cycle, and they received a vision. You can do this over and over again, but it could take a mental toll on you if you do it too much so I would use that power only to narrow it down in stages.

Katrina looks at Taris, "Go ahead. Try."

She glances at Zeevan a moment, "Don't let me forget, we need to talk about your... predicament."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:08 am

"Okay." Taris holds the shard out, and closes her eyes. She pictures the Shard of Lust in her mind. She meditates on how she felt and what she experienced the last time she held it, emptying herself of everything but desire, and what she desires is to find the next shard. What is it? Where is it?